Notices

OFFICIAL: Tanabe Medalion Touring Exhaust Evo 8 and 9

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2008, 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Evo 8
wow, i never knew that.... i need a cat back that is quiet, that will by full 3" in the muffler also
Well then you have probably 2 options.

1. RRE stealth exhaust

2. Find a used Tanabe or similar exhaust system and replace the muffler with a straight flow through.

Most quiet exhaust systems out there taper inside. But here is the tricky part, whats quiet to you? Because many people will come on and say oh X exhaust system is quiet and another will say no I beg to differ etc...

To me quiet means the tires/road noises over power the exhaust sound and I can whisper in my car and my passenger can hear me. Also I can ingage in a coversation with the passengers in the rear seats with out having to raise my voice. All that is a quiet exhaust to me.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 10:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tanabe Medalion Touring gets my vote if you want an exhaust that is quiet and also care about quality, fit and finish.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey guys i know that its a bit off topic but how about the tanabe super medalion hyper? i know its a little bit louder. Im looking for an exhaust thats deep like touring but a bit louder but also not as loud as something like turboxs.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by scheides
meh.
HA! love the way thats spelt!
Old Apr 7, 2008, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kristofer
hey guys i know that its a bit off topic but how about the tanabe super medalion hyper? i know its a little bit louder. Im looking for an exhaust thats deep like touring but a bit louder but also not as loud as something like turboxs.
Finish the exhaust with a downpipe and test pipe and it will be as you describe for your ideal exhaust.

Cat-back and its a deeper sounding tad louder than stock exhaust. With a test pipe its a bit louder and very deep but still police friendly under normal driving.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 03:29 PM

^ thanks blueEVOIX i think ill go with tanabe. one more thing.. resonated tp or nonresonated (looking for deeper tone, not concerned with hp)
Old Apr 8, 2008, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

^ thanks blueEVOIX i think ill go with tanabe. one more thing.. resonated tp or nonresonated (looking for deeper tone, not concerned with hp)
Thats a tough one. I'm not sure how a non resonated testpipe will sound. I am running a resonated test pipe because my goal is to keep the system as quiet as possible. Its still very deep though, if I stand behind the exhaust I can feel the bass similar to a subwoofer.

But I just ordered the Cobb exhaust system (downpipe and catback). So Tanabe will be coming off sometime this week/end.

As far as horsepower goes. People running a complete turbo-back with the Tanabe were able to make 360-380 whp on stock turbo. So I say it flows pretty good. I never dynoed so I dont know what it gave me. But I'll tell you that putting on the cat-back I didnt feel as much difference until I did the test pipe as well. The testpipe complemented with the cat-back woke the car up in the upper rpm range. I was very impressed.

Last edited by BluEVOIX; Apr 8, 2008 at 05:41 PM.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by BluEVOIX
Thats a tough one. I'm not sure how a non resonated testpipe will sound. I am running a resonated test pipe because my goal is to keep the system as quiet as possible. Its still very deep though, if I stand behind the exhaust I can feel the bass similar to a subwoofer.
hmm maybe ill try a non-resonated test pipe with the tanabe catback.. and you didnt tune? or dynoed with the tune?
Old Apr 8, 2008, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Will Tanabe sell us the JDM version that will look great with the JDM rear?

Or do we have to do a hack job on a new exhaust?
Old Apr 8, 2008, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

hmm maybe ill try a non-resonated test pipe with the tanabe catback.. and you didnt tune? or dynoed with the tune?

Nope never tuned or dynoed. I want to finish the exhaust setup (turbo back) before spending the time/money for a tune.

Two Things I noticed running the resonated testpipe and cat-back
1. I am boosting more now and holding slightly more boost at redline.
2. The car accelerates much better in the upper rpms range.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tsurugi-san
Will Tanabe sell us the JDM version that will look great with the JDM rear?

Or do we have to do a hack job on a new exhaust?
I dont know for sure, but it seems like this cat-back will fit both bumpers.

Here are pics on the IX US bumper. Notice it barely sticks out on the IX US bumer, so on the JDM versions it should still be ok. (But I could be wrong)

Old Apr 8, 2008, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the pics!

That helps!
Old Apr 9, 2008, 04:18 PM

Nice pics.. and thanks for the help.. im getting the SMH tho instead of touring.. supposedly its 2 db louder.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 11:37 PM

That's the kind of fitment I want with my JDM bumper... I wish they gave the option like Cobb... but I want something quiet enough so I don't have to shout to talk in my car.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 10:06 AM
Evolving Member

I remember looking at a pic on here before where this exhaust sticks out just slightly on the JDM rear, and the person had to get it cut down just a tad... and it looked bad@$s.

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL: Tanabe Medalion Touring Exhaust Evo 8 and 9