Notices

OFFICIAL: Tanabe Medalion Touring Exhaust Evo 8 and 9

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2008, 09:17 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OFFICIAL: Tanabe Medalion Touring Exhaust Evo 8 and 9

The Medalion Touring exhaust is the quietest exhaust that we manufacture. Our ADVANTEX packing keeps the noise level to a minimum while still allowing the exhaust to efficiently give you power. You do not have to worry about in cabin exhaust noise as the engine tends to over power the sound of the exhaust. This exhaust has a deep, low frequency tone for discreet sports driving.

Pick one up from your EvolutionM Vendor. Please click on the pictures for more info.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 11:33 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
meh.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm trying to decide between this and the Greddy SP2
Old Mar 12, 2008, 08:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by scheides
meh.
meh what? most japanese tuners manufacture the best fitting exhaust systems for most japanese sports/sport compact cars on the market. They have the technology and research and have been doing this years ahead and before most of our tuners have. If you have nothing better to say, just STFU.

+1 for this exhaust. Best performing and sounding exhaust if you are afraid of getting pulled over by the cops.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 08:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+1 for Tanabe. The Tanabe Medalion Touring is definitely the one to consider if your local law enforcement agencies are cracking down on loud exhaust systems. The Medalion Touring is one of the best selling exhaust in our NorCal Region. Full 3" straight thru design. Highly recommended.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Speed Element
+1 for Tanabe. The Tanabe Medalion Touring is definitely the one to consider if your local law enforcement agencies are cracking down on loud exhaust systems. The Medalion Touring is one of the best selling exhaust in our NorCal Region. Full 3" straight thru design. Highly recommended.

PM me a price on both the Tanabe and Greddy SP2 systems....

have you heard the sound of both? what's the differences?
Old Mar 12, 2008, 10:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Speed Element
Its not full 3" straight through. It tapers inside the muffler, I know because I measured the inside by sliding in a piece of cardboard trimming it down until it fit. Inside the muffler itself I measured around 2.7 inches. But many people dyno very well showing no signs of restrictions on the stock IX turbo. (from what I read)

Now this exhaust fits very well. Its pretty much a stock exhaust replacement on how well it lines up and fits. Also the welds and overal quality is superior. I love the dual wall tip they use on the muffler. It was also pleasingly quiet as a cat-back system.

I have currently added a resonated test pipe to the system, but due to the incorrect smaller bolt width size I am using (my fault) there is a leak at the test pipe connections, so I cant comment on how quiet it is with a test pipe. Hopefully by this weekend I will have fixed this up.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 10:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Blue Evo 8
PM me a price on both the Tanabe and Greddy SP2 systems....

have you heard the sound of both? what's the differences?

I never heard the Greddy SP2, but the Tanabe has a very deep tone. As a cat-back system, inside the car the exhaust is barely audible during normal driving (windows up). Out side as it idles if you stand in the back it has a very deep tone, almost like a sub woofer going... It does have a nice aggressive sound as you accelerate WOT with a very tolerable volume.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 10:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BluEVOIX
Its not full 3" straight through. It tapers inside the muffler, I know because I measured the inside by sliding in a piece of cardboard trimming it down until it fit. Inside the muffler itself I measured around 2.7 inches. But many people dyno very well showing no signs of restrictions on the stock IX turbo. (from what I read)

Now this exhaust fits very well. Its pretty much a stock exhaust replacement on how well it lines up and fits. Also the welds and overal quality is superior. I love the dual wall tip they use on the muffler. It was also pleasingly quiet as a cat-back system.

I have currently added a resonated test pipe to the system, but due to the incorrect smaller bolt width size I am using (my fault) there is a leak at the test pipe connections, so I cant comment on how quiet it is with a test pipe. Hopefully by this weekend I will have fixed this up.
which part of the muffler did you measure? exit side or from the elbow (axle-back) part?

Did you cut the muffler part and see the construction inside?

Last edited by PnutButterWolf; Mar 12, 2008 at 10:35 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 11:33 AM

The Tanabesystem is great.
I installed the exhaust last year.

Soundfile: Link
Old Mar 13, 2008, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PnutButterWolf
which part of the muffler did you measure? exit side or from the elbow (axle-back) part?

Did you cut the muffler part and see the construction inside?
No I didnt cut it lol, because I am using it right now and plan to keep it for a long time.

What I did was take a long piece of stick and taped a cardboard peice at the end with the width of 3". I then stuck it through the exhaust tip and measured how far in it would go comparing it relatively to the outside of the muffler. So I kept sticking it in and then trimming the cardboard until it was able to slide in and out freely. Once I achieved that I then measured the cardboard piece to get the diameter of the inner muffler. The exhaust tip is 3" inlet but inside the muffler it tapers down. But from what I have read, people dyno and reached 320-340 whp with the stock evo IX turbo. So it does seem to flow well enough.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BluEVOIX
No I didnt cut it lol, because I am using it right now and plan to keep it for a long time.

What I did was take a long piece of stick and taped a cardboard peice at the end with the width of 3". I then stuck it through the exhaust tip and measured how far in it would go comparing it relatively to the outside of the muffler. So I kept sticking it in and then trimming the cardboard until it was able to slide in and out freely. Once I achieved that I then measured the cardboard piece to get the diameter of the inner muffler. The exhaust tip is 3" inlet but inside the muffler it tapers down. But from what I have read, people dyno and reached 320-340 whp with the stock evo IX turbo. So it does seem to flow well enough.
wow, i never knew that.... i need a cat back that is quiet, that will by full 3" in the muffler also
Old Mar 13, 2008, 08:31 PM
Evolving Member

i made 380whp with the stock 9 turbo on a dyno dynamics using this exhaust. It sounds low and throaty too
Old Mar 13, 2008, 08:33 PM
Evolving Member

I plan on picking up this exhaust by the end of this summer. I have heard nothing but good things about it. If you search around I know there is a member on here who did a full review on it showing diameters, weight, and etc...
Old Mar 13, 2008, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Nkryptd1
I plan on picking up this exhaust by the end of this summer. I have heard nothing but good things about it. If you search around I know there is a member on here who did a full review on it showing diameters, weight, and etc...
Oh like mine lol?

Here is my review with many pictures and as much detail as I could think of.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=280644

If I ever need to make bigger inner I'd probably just buy another stainless steel 3" straight flow through muffler (largest that will fit) and transfer the exhaust hangers and especially the Tip from the Tanabe on to it.

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL: Tanabe Medalion Touring Exhaust Evo 8 and 9