Notices

BR ported intake/65mm throttle body pictures

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2008, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
BR ported intake/65mm throttle body pictures

I just wanted to post to let everyone see some pictures of the before and after intake manifolds/throttle bodies we do here.

Typically the intakes come in pretty filthy. Dirty, nasty and the ports are full of oil. This of course is from the valve cover breather being routed back into the turbo inlet, the PCV and the EGR valve. They make a mess of the inside of the intake manifold.

Here is a picture of the runners on a typical intake manifold we get in:

Here is a picture of the throttle body inlet on a typical intake manifold we get in:

After the intakes are received we clean them so we can start the porting process. The intake manifolds are marked at the cylinder head and throttle body openings so they will match our 65 mm throttle body and match the ports on the cylinder head.

The runners are ported as deep as our porting tools will allow. It isn't just a simple gasket matching that extends in an inch. The shape of the port is changed and the port work extends into the runners approximately 4 full inches.

Here is a picture of the runners after porting on the intake manifold:

The throttle body end is critical to getting the performance increase from your 65mm throttle body. If you don't increase this area properly you may as well skip the upgraded throttle body.

Here is a picture of the throttle body end after porting:

The throttle bodies also come in pretty dirty. These are cleaned and glass beaded to give them a new appearance.

Here's a picture of how a typical throttle body comes in:

The throttle bodies are opened up for our larger brass throttle plate. The throttle shaft seals are all replaced during the process of re-assembly.

Here is a picture of the throttle body after cleaning, glass beading, boring/porting, new throttle plate, new seals and assembly:

On a 300 whp build you can expect to see SOLID gains of 15 whp+. These gains will start in the 3,000 rpm range and continue throughout the entire operating range. As the horsepower of the car increases the increase from the ported intake and throttle body also increases. Gains of 30+ whp and 30+ ft lbs have been seen on 600+ whp EVO's.

We do go the extra mile on our port work and throttle bodies. This shows in the 12, 9 second EVO's we built using this, this year.

Also, as a side note. To those of you running stand alone's that no longer need the nipples on top of the throttle body or are running our catch can and no longer need the nipple on the side of the intake manifold, we can remove those pieces for you and plug them. The throttle bodies have the holes welded shut on the top and the intake manifolds are plugged with a soft plug. Just another option at a small additional charge for anyone wanting them modified like that.

Last edited by David Buschur; Dec 5, 2008 at 02:07 PM.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great shots there David.

Top notch product out of the Buschur camp is a sure shot!!!!!
Old Dec 5, 2008, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

I can vouch for the Intake mani look as sexy as it does. I purchased 1 second hand and it was identical to that. Great work!
Old Dec 5, 2008, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
David, I take offense to your 600 whp cars. How about us 700+ whp cars that run the same 65mm TB?
Old Dec 5, 2008, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Yes, Tom there are a few of those too I was trying to keep the intakes/tb's together and wasn't including those of us using the Wilson Manifolds.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 04:48 PM
Former Sponsor

I made 712whp on the Buschur Manifold and TB.. so yes i feel forgotten as well.. LOL

These 2 parts are some of the best bang for the buck mods for the EVO.. We installed 1 set today on a customer car that we will be dynoing on E-85 soon.. I expect 500whp no problem..

Mike
Old Dec 5, 2008, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Do you recommened to customers the use of an IM Spacer gasket to go between the IM and Head such as Hondata makes??

I'll be sending mine in soon for treatment
Old Dec 5, 2008, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

I love my BR intake manifold/throttle body combo!

Installation only took my about 2 hours start to finish.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

super bad intake mani and TB i love mine, i only had it a few hours but i love it already. props david as always
Old Dec 5, 2008, 06:53 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
I got mine last winter with some xmas money. I was planning on waiting until spring to install it, but I was so excited, I tore right into the car and put the two in!

Feb in MN it's -10' F or so and I had a teensy **** heater in my garage (I have since rectified this!). It took 3-4 hours to get the old one off, and about the same to put the new one in.

It's awesome getting a nice fresh clean manifold and TB in your car. It really freshens up the engine bay!

Lastly, I would never have done this if it wasn't for the testing Dave has done with it. Others offer similar services but few prove the power gains from THEIR work. Definitely a good mod to do for any car!
Old Dec 5, 2008, 08:02 PM
Evolving Member

Im Sending My Mine Real Soon
Old Dec 5, 2008, 08:20 PM
Evolving Member

3-4 hour to remove the intake manifold? common,is not that hard.you are really slow.i remove the head and pistons in less than that time.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts
It was a no brainer for my build! Awesome combo!
Old Dec 5, 2008, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For some reason, I was under the impression that the BR T-bodies didn't receive new throttle body shaft seals, as when I did a boost leak test I sensed some leakage coming from the T-body.

I sent the t-body out to have the upgraded milspec shaft seals put in, have the TPS set, and have the t-body reassembled.

Additionally, I had to port match the opening on the intake manifold a bit more to take full advantage of the 65mm T-body opening. It just simply too me about 1/2 hour of dremel work to grind the opening wider...

After all this I managed to make some nice gains on the dyno as can be seen in my signature.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mandy1
3-4 hour to remove the intake manifold? common,is not that hard.you are really slow.i remove the head and pistons in less than that time.
Since when does it get to -10F in Puerto Rico??? Your fingers go numb working in a cold garage in winter here in the north, so to simulate the effect in your tropical paradise, try doing your head and piston work using only your elbows and see what your time is.

Quick Reply: BR ported intake/65mm throttle body pictures