Notices

Rota DPT : You've seen it in 17", now offering WIDE 18" fitments for the Evo X!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2009, 06:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice wheel. 18.9 lbs on a 17x9 is very competitive.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jdmsneakerhead
i've had volks and rotas and i like both compaines

but i will say this, rotas are made in the philippines and like most things made in the philippines they are copies or remakes (for example almost every filipino musican has remade or sung a hit song from either madonna, mariah carey, and the list goes on)

no offense to anyone who is filipino cause i am filipino

just wanted to state the obvious haha
even people in america sing every hit song from madonna, mariah cary, etc etc just watch american idol......and thats in america.

Last edited by beetle_orange; Jan 10, 2009 at 09:13 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by beetle_orange
even people in america sing every hit song from madonna, mariah cary, etc etc just watch american idol......and thats in america.
true that
Old Jan 11, 2009, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Import Junky
I'll agree to disagree. Enjoy your name brands guys. I'll stay in Old Navy, Target, Walmart, and anywhere else that I can find a cotton shirt at a decent price. You can go to Hollister, American Eagle, and Versace. In the end they're all cotton shirts made in some sweat shop in Guatemala.
lol @ comparing Hollister and American Eagle to Versace. Not even close.

I agree with that on the shirts though. I just wear Hanes white tee's from Wal-Mart under everything. For everything else though I buy nice clothes.

The way I see it is if the accessories for the car do the same exact thing for less, what's the difference? I mean take a look at intercooler pricing. You could buy nisei pipes for unbelievably cheap, or buy the AMS piping that has AMS welded onto it for $200 more. Both pieces are exactly the same, just one has a logo. Then you can go a step further and buy ARC, etc.

If its a dd, what's it matter? If the car's sole purpose is shows then I could see spending the extra money on buying expensive brands.v
Old Jan 11, 2009, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Rguy
A business course would tell us why Rota's are far more of a good buy then Volks. If a company can create a substitute good at a cheaper price the market will respond and the product will sell. Especially in a recession. Why would I buy Rotas for twice as much when Rota can give me a product that accomplishes what I want (looks and reasonable price)?

For example, for super bowl sunday I could go "JDM" and buy a 60" Sony Bravia and have a sweet sweet TV, but why do that when I can get a 60" Insignia for half that still let's me enjoy the Super Bowl as much as the Sony does?

The Demand for Rota to make these wheels is there, and the market will meet that demand.
Picture quality >*. There is no way I would waste my money on an insignia tv, especially one that large. You put that next to my tv and it's not even close to being in the same ballpark.

I totally agree with what you're saying about the substitutes though.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 09:01 AM
ZK
Evolved Member

There are equivalent substitutes and there isn't. If looks are all you want then Rota will give you the looks. Performance is very different i.e. weight, weight distribution of the wheel, strength and durability.

Why buy an Evo when you can make your Lancer look like one?
Old Jan 13, 2009, 10:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ZK
There are equivalent substitutes and there isn't. If looks are all you want then Rota will give you the looks. Performance is very different i.e. weight, weight distribution of the wheel, strength and durability.

Why buy an Evo when you can make your Lancer look like one?
Performance-wise Rotas are about as good as any cast wheels except maybe RPF01 and FN01R. Stock GSR Enkei wheels and Rota wheels of similar size weight about the same. It's not fair to compare cast wheels to forged wheels, so stick with apples to apples.

People who buy Rota wheels aren't necessarily trying to pretend like they have Volks. People buy Rota wheels because they have a large selection of sizes/designs/colors that other cast wheel manufacturers don't offer on the forum. Take a look at the vendor forum for wheels and you'll see that most vendors are selling forged wheels which are priced at $2k+ for a set of 4. There are a few listings for Enkei and Work wheels here and there, but the point is that there's a huge market share for cast wheel manufacturers and vendors to take up, which WheelDude is capitalizing on.

Having said that, I think that WheelDude also does a good job at giving his products high visibility. I've been around for the days when he was still SubyDude and I would say he is largely responsible for the popularity of Rota Wheels in the US (which I think is a good thing). Props to you man!
Old Feb 23, 2009, 11:56 PM
Evolving Member

Bringing this back from the dead... updates??
Old Feb 24, 2009, 12:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What are the Offsets going to Be on these wider wheels? I may be interested in some 18x10 wheels. Let me know what all of the offsets are for this wheel tho
Old Feb 24, 2009, 02:12 PM

has anybody ever done performance and durability comparison tests on volks vs rotas? does the cost outweigh the benefits? just curious
Old Feb 26, 2009, 05:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by otbEVO
Bringing this back from the dead... updates??
Big update in the first post
Originally Posted by Evolution IVGSR
What are the Offsets going to Be on these wider wheels? I may be interested in some 18x10 wheels. Let me know what all of the offsets are for this wheel tho
We are doing a limited release in 18x0 +20 fitment for the Evo X. At this time the only available color for this fitment will be Flat Black, if we get more interest for other colors in this fitment we can order them. Our primary fitment for the Evo X is 18x9.5 +22 as it fits very well with a wide range of 265/35/18 tires and will allow for easy 275/35/18 fitment with rolled rear fenders

-Dan
Old Feb 26, 2009, 05:14 PM
Evolving Member

... please... everyone knows the difference between volks and rotas... there is no need to start a debate. I personally would not run rotas on a track / use them for agressive driving but as a DD alternative or a winter tire alternative they are awesome for the price. The weight matters to very few people... but folks lets not forget that the difference is not negligible. A car on volks will be much faster than a car on rotas... (same wheel design + size etc)...
Old Feb 26, 2009, 07:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shabarivas which Rota wheels have you had your car? You talk about a comparison as if you have actually owned a set and did a direct comparison.. have you or is this just an assumption?

I find it funny that you mention a car will be much faster.. I've happen to run Volk Racing CE28's on my car (17x8 with 245/40/17's) and then switched to Rota DPT's (17x9 with 245/40/17) and didn't feel a difference in acceleration on my butt dyno. Handling improved a ton but that was due to the obvious increase in wheel width when switching to Rota's. My new wheel/tire combo with the Rota's was ~4 lbs heavier per corner but I also now had a wheel that was a full inch wider. If the Rota DPT's were out when I was looking for wheels I wouldn't have even considered the Volk Racing wheels, as that .1 second quicker acceleration in the 1/4 mile is not worth it to me
Old Feb 26, 2009, 08:01 PM
Evolving Member

Man I love the looks of these wheels I think I will just wait on these how do I get on the list for the flat black 18/9.5
Old Feb 26, 2009, 08:18 PM

perhaps a hyper silver in the future?

Quick Reply: Rota DPT : You've seen it in 17", now offering WIDE 18" fitments for the Evo X!!!