Notices

Wilson Manifolds R&D Plans for 2009

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2009, 06:10 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wilson Manifolds R&D Plans for 2009

Wilson Manifolds is pleased to announce our R&D plans for this year. As many of you know I have been developing components for the Evolution for the past year with 9sec9. Together we have taken concepts to reality on many occasions with optimal results. I consider 9sec9 one of the most capable tuners out there with both the stock ECU and AEM. His understanding of both systems and their total functions exceed most on this forum and he had the results to back them up. From day one we have had an agreement, he handles the software and I handle the hardware. This has worked well in the past, and will be even better now with joining Wilson Manifolds. He has been welcomed into the Wilson Manifolds family as our in house Advanced ET components R&D and test vehicle.

Wilson Manifolds has opened the doors to many state of the art technologies in design, manufacturing, and production of components. Our goal this year is to provide components to two segments of the Evo community.

First, the daily driven street crowd. We intend to develop the finest bolt on components that provide real world results while providing all relevant testing data. Now more than ever it is critical to get the most results for you’re dollar. I will use my 100% stock 06 RS that ran a 12.998 @ 104.56 with only a 9sec9 tune. That pass required 319.2 HP to move a 3540 pound vehicle with driver included. This vehicle will be used as the R&D and test vehicle for the Wilson Manifolds Bolt On Performance component line. The goal for this year is to run consistent 11.50’s. This would require nearly 400 HP and is at the point where most tracks require additional safety equipment. It may not sound like a very high goal, but for the majority of Evo owners building and running a 9 second monster on the street is a time consuming and dollar eating obsession. Having a 11.50-12 second street car is really the best of both worlds, plenty quick, and very compliant to various motorsport disciplines. From drag, autocross, and open track days this seems to be the perfect balance for having maximum fun per dollar invested. Best of all, we plan to do this with the least amount of bolt on components necessary and retain the vehicle as close to stock and emissions compliant as possible. It will retain all safety components along with the spare tire, jack and all OEM bodywork . I will document my journey in order for the community to better understand what has been done and why, along with track results from O’Reilly Raceway Park home of the NHRA US Nationals.

The second part of our R&D team will concentrate on the 8-10 second drag race crowd. 9sec9’s car has been added as a rolling test bed for all new Wilson Manifolds Advanced ET components. It had held the Stock Appearing Turbo record at 9.57@145.16 until last week when Most-Wanted bumped the existing ET record, and has run 9.20@157.90 with the large frame Forced Performance turbo and still has an interior with the required NHRA safety equipment. It is licensed in the state of Oklahoma and is street driven. We will be revisiting the Forced Performance Red turbo soon to once again capture the Stock Appearing Turbo record. 9sec9 will be refining our current V-Series intake manifolds and aiding in the development of our Next Generation intake manifolds, cylinder heads, valve train, and engine components.

9sec9 will also be leading the way with our driveline and chassis program to develop a solid, reliable, and safe platform to work with. We are currently working on chassis and suspension components that are needed at this level of competition.

Many have read his past threads and he will continue to document the changes we make, components used, and the results obtained. This will provide a transparent look in what goes into running a car at this level. This will be an exciting year in Evolution performance and we at Wilson Manifolds plan to lead the way.

Many manufactures have pledged support to this program, they are a who’s who of automotive racing component manufactures. With Wilson Manifolds relationships in the motorsport industry expect to see components that have not been part of the Evo community in the past. We are moving forward at a geometric rate, our goal is not only to provide only the highest quality components, but to do this in a safe and responsible way.

Thank you and stay tuned, Indy

Last edited by Indy Evo; Feb 8, 2009 at 10:08 AM.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 06:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I must say thank you again Indy for bringing these companies and your experience to the evo community! This sounds very excitiing and I for one can't wait to see what comes out next!
Old Feb 8, 2009, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Its great to have people/vendors like you advancing the evo community.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

This is great news for the Evo community! I look forward to seeing what innovative products develop!
Old Feb 8, 2009, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

Good job Jim and Wilson! Cant wait to see what you guys bring to the table. I have said it before but i will say it agian i think 09 will bring huge leaps in the EVO community in Intake Manifolds, Turbo Chargers, Clutches, and Driveline Parts.

A to you sir!
Chris
Old Feb 8, 2009, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Congratulations, Indy!

This is, in many ways, the first entry of a BIG high end race manufacturing company into the Evo parts world. With Indy's well known innovation, coupled with 9sec9's ongoing search for high quality parts solutions to improve Evo performance in ways that nobody had previously thought of or built, there is going to be a much wider set of parts options for all of us.

What's expecially interesting to me is the dual focus. Building innovative parts for the 11.50 crowd is really exciting, since that's where the vast majority of us will be staying

2009 is going to be fun!
Old Feb 8, 2009, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks Indy and CO_VR4. I'm getting really excited about the prospects of some of the things already in developement. I spent yesterday playing with the car and even took it out for a 'logging' session. It was a very good day for moving forward with some of my testing. Everything was working as designed and it made for a 'job well done' to myself by last night.
I have one more idea I'll be working on today and if the weather holds out, I may be back out doing some more logging.

I sincerely appreciate the vote of confidence by Wilson Manifolds and their owners and employees. Using the car as a test bed for R&D is ideal for our own goals as well. Our car currently weighs about 2730 lbs without driver. When we made our last runs in Ohio, the car weighed about 2860 with driver, so it's easy to run the numbers through a drag computer and determine our current horsepower. With those numbers as our base, any improvements made to the car will/can be run through the same program to determine a new baseline. Plans are in the works to also draw a baseline from known dynos in various areas, as we visit those areas and tracks. This will give the 'local' crowd an idea of power for comparisons sake.

I look forward to working with IndyEvo, Wilson Manifolds and their vendors on the continued development of new manifolds and parts. Yes, 2009 is going to be a very big year for both us and the Evo community. Thanks for the vote of confidence.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Looking good guys! Can't wait for the 8sec9 renaming
Old Feb 8, 2009, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

My wife has that name, but I wouldn't mind stealing it from her.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 07:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Thanks guys, The CNC machines are up and running, and the cast and fabricated manifold shops will be flat out this year with components designed, developed, and tested by 9sec9 and I. We have both been adding components to a list we have been making since we started working together. With joining Wilson Manifolds we now have the ability to turn all of them into reality.

It will be a busy month getting things built and tested, but over the last few months 9sec9 and I have been working on a number of projects. Some are just being finished now, and others have been tested this weekend. To see the finished products, and verify performance this early in the season shows the level of commitment to our program we had prior to joining Wilson Manifolds. Now we have both joined the Wilson Manifolds family, we have taken our commitment to the next level. The main focus for this year is to develop the Bolt On and Advanced ET component lines.

There will be plenty of R&D and testing as this program gets off the ground, but rest assured these will be track proven components of the highest quality. With only days to work with, we have assembled top manufactures from the professional racing industry to produce some of the finest components to be seen in the Evolution community. We both understand what we bit off, but are looking forward to challenge and completing the goals we have set.

9sec9, You better have Cindy start looking into new screen names I have a feeling 8sec9 will be your’s soon enough.

Thanks again, Indy
Old Feb 8, 2009, 09:42 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Good luck guys!
Old Feb 8, 2009, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

Great news. Glad to see you guys making new products. Had a quick question though. Is there any plans to making that Launch controller you were making last year a reality for stock ecu's? Would be real interested in purchasing one if developed. Also any turbo kits in the works?
Old Feb 8, 2009, 10:51 PM
Evolved Member

Nice!
Old Feb 9, 2009, 07:29 AM
Former Sponsor

Very Interesting...With the lineup you have behind you and the ability to take this in a new direction we look forward to NEW and innovative products for 09'

Good Luck and remember the #1 priority is your Health. We wish you the best for a speedy recovery
Old Feb 9, 2009, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

With all these changes I might even purchase one of these manis

Keep up the good stuff Indy!!!!!

Scorke

Quick Reply: Wilson Manifolds R&D Plans for 2009