Notices

To those who feel knockoffs don't matter

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2009, 10:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with BPAuto. Dont go for the knock offs. If you want a CF deck lid or any other part, just save up a bit longer and get the name brand. I think most would be more satisfied with that in the long run.

If you blew your motor would you throw it back together with knock off internals?
Old May 20, 2009, 01:11 PM
Silver Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the support. While it might sound like it and it is very easy to be upset about the situation from the Bulletproof point of view, this is not really complaining. It is just an attempt to educate the community about some of the things going on behind the scenes and the very real potential outcome.

While the company I work for has a certain stance on knockoffs, my personal stance is very similar. Do you want to own your dream car? Or do you want to own a car that sort of, almost looks like it might, perhaps, in a sense look like your dream car? The EVO X is a great machine. Why would I want to compromise it with a low quality part, especially if it ends up being primarily aesthetic? Your car is better than that!

When you put a knockoff part on your car you are lowering the bar for yourself and your car. Your car is no longer the object you aspire to, but an imitation of that object and you'll no longer treat it with the same care.

If you feel you can't afford it, I'd recommend reading this article. You really can afford anything you put your mind to, and if you really desire a part, you owe it to yourself to reach that goal fully and purchase the genuine article. Just my personal perspective on this matter.

-Patrick
Email: sales@bulletproofautomotive.com
Direct North American Dealers for Voltex, Mines, Varis, First Molding, HKS Kansai, Cusco, HKS, Advan, Volk, Ings+1, C-West, Work, and so much more...

Last edited by BPAuto; May 20, 2009 at 03:29 PM.
Old May 20, 2009, 01:22 PM
Evolving Member

Ummm no, that's actually the complete opposite of how economics work. If a product is priced above the market value the distributor has to lower his price to meet equilibrium price, that's if he can. If not, they will end up just selling a smaller amount of the product at the higher price and therefore get less profit in return.

Simple intro in micro and macro economics.

Travis

Originally Posted by skyblas
i agreed knockoff is annoying
but because of knock off
company have no choice but to increase their selling price
because they are selling lesser
so they need to mark up their product further more
for ppl that support the original product
they are the one that suffer in the end
for me
i would get the real stuff, or i might as well dont get it
Old May 20, 2009, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

This is a moot thread. This is a free enterprise counrty and it's because of this that monopoly laws were originated. Without knock offs most people wouldn't see the value in a name brand after having to replace their knock of two or three times. Knock off benefit from thos too dumb to learn their lesson and name brands benefit by having those that do learn their lesson come their way later on. Everyone is allowed to purchase products within their means and in a way, knock offs only add value to the originals. The only reason a name brand would ever suffer is if the knock off was actually of better quality and then they deserve what fait befalls them for charging too much. My only gripe with knock offs is when they come from other countries therefore hampering our economy. This is done when products are made from other countries like Chine because the labor is cheaper. Case and point... Walmart. Otherwise as long as the money stays here in the states then I don't care. To each his own.
Old May 20, 2009, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

Knock offs are lame. They wouldn't exist if the countries they orginate from followed our copyright laws. I don't "feel better" knowing my orignal parts are "better" because they are more expensive, I just won't give money to theives.

Everybody who says that knockoffs are okay are being hypocrites, IMO. Because somewhere, somehow those same people will draw the line and only accept the original. Yes, some car parts may be okay, but I guarantee there's some product or service you indulge in where only the original will do. Knockoffs kill innovation, because the real companies that make these parts will go broke or stop offering them if they can't turn a profit off of their work.
Old May 20, 2009, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GPTourer
Knock offs are lame. They wouldn't exist if the countries they orginate from followed our copyright laws. I don't "feel better" knowing my orignal parts are "better" because they are more expensive, I just won't give money to theives.

Everybody who says that knockoffs are okay are being hypocrites, IMO. Because somewhere, somehow those same people will draw the line and only accept the original. Yes, some car parts may be okay, but I guarantee there's some product or service you indulge in where only the original will do. Knockoffs kill innovation, because the real companies that make these parts will go broke or stop offering them if they can't turn a profit off of their work.
Making a profit and making a killing are two different things. The reason these parts are so expensive is due to us paying the crazy price for them. Just an example. Look at American cars they were very popular when they were affordable. How much does it cost to actually make a Denali or an escalade? Are they worth that money? IMO no they are not worth the money. They didn't start selling them at 65,000 dollars when they came out. They started raising the price because they got greedy. Now look where they are now. My point is if some prices got lowered and came down to a realistic level they may actually come out of this crisis. These parts prices are not even realistic to a working man. I make good money and just can't bring myself to spend 1000 dollars on a trunk or 135 on a oil cap. It is sick that a company expects so much for something that isnt worth the price. Sorry, If these companies are worried about knockoffs maybe they should drop the price like another member already stated. Lower prices more sales. A little less profit but it will be made up for with sales. Thats just my
Old May 22, 2009, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Wickedwhite8
Making a profit and making a killing are two different things. The reason these parts are so expensive is due to us paying the crazy price for them.
Then don't buy them. They aren't expensive to some of us, they're just more exclusive. I'm glad I won't see Garage HRS, Voltex, Rocket Dancer, Amuse etc parts on every Civic or Neon. Most of those companies don't have a US precense so everything has to be imported piece by piece slowly, so yeah, they're expensive. Unless you have access to BPAuto's balance sheets and profit statments, you don't know if they are making a killing or not, and frankly its none of your business. This is still a capitalist society, so if they're getting rich, get over it and spend your money elsewhere, you don't get to tell them how much money they're allowed to make, but only by being a consumer and taking your money elsewhere.

Just an example. Look at American cars they were very popular when they were affordable. How much does it cost to actually make a Denali or an escalade? Are they worth that money? IMO no they are not worth the money.
I guess the American car industry is an easy target because they are so down. So I suppose we are to assume that every import car is "worth" the price, right? How much does it acually cost to make a SL65, an IS-F, or a Range Rover Sport? All manufacturers make you pay for the R&D that went into them, not the component value of two tons of steel, plastic rubber and glass. And yeah, guess what, they want to make a profit too...ooh there's that dirty word again.

Just because they are too expensive for you doesn't give knock off artists the right to steal their designs and copy them, that's the bottom line.
Old May 22, 2009, 09:08 AM
Evolving Member

This thread is getting off topic.

knock offs kill innovation, but they will always exist because of market demand for lower priced items. the end.
Old May 22, 2009, 09:37 AM
Evolving Member

all of this is whatever to me, but.. it almost seems like, ok.. if you're broke, don't mod or lace up your whip, cause if you do, you'll get flamed and not be respected by all the JDM cockboys, oh and there's alot of them..

I understand the message behind it and all but, you can't change people financial status, and that article doesn't apply to everyone when theres so many things that goes into the equation of "LIFE". People are gonna do what they do, there's no stopping it...take more time to save up.. that's recock, all that time you've been saving, think about what you lost along the way.

Alot of folks here do understand the problem behind this, but it is an unstoppable force, let it be and just enjoy our cars by all means, i dont know about yall, but at the end of the day, there's more importants things in life than just your "Evo".. oh, and just like alot of yall, i do LOVE genuine quality parts, JDM is awesome.. Flaming, not so much
Old May 22, 2009, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

All i have to say is you tell me where to get the JDM front bumper, rear bumper and hood for a 7 so i can do a conversion i will buy it. but it seems all i can find is a knock off and i am going to have to do that since i am not in japan. and not even Bulletproof has them listed the great JDM store.
Old May 22, 2009, 11:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by bouncintiga
This thread is getting off topic.

knock offs kill innovation, but they will always exist because of market demand for lower priced items. the end.
Your statement is a little contradictory. Because of the market demand for lower priced items, the knockoff industry will in fact PROMOTE innovation. As a company loses market share due to the knockoffs they are forced to either change their current product to make it different or change the process in which it is made to make the part cheaper. This pushes innovation throughout the industry.

As the case with the original post, their situation is not something that requires looking at the whole industry, it is an internal matter. They are in a position where they feel they are losing business to subpar knockoffs, so they must focus their efforts on gaining a larger share in the market. This is done by working their profit margin. Either find a way to offer their higher quality part at a lower cost to compete with the lower quality, lower cost parts, or they choose to market their part at a higher price to a more select group of customers such as the show car crowd that will allow them to sell fewer parts at a higher value. It's just a matter of doing some research and seeing which possibility will yield the best results for the company.
Old May 22, 2009, 12:12 PM
Silver Sponsor

To justify investing in innovation, there has to be some sort of a reward. Knockoffs don't allow companies to really get the return on investment that they deserve. Copying products requires a very limited investment that really relies on taking advantage of someone else's investment. If a company finds that a particular market is no longer profitable, then they will more likely move into another market.
-Patrick
Direct North American Dealers for Voltex, Mines, Varis, First Molding, HKS Kansai, Cusco, HKS, Advan, Volk, Ings+1, C-West, Work, and so much more...
Old May 22, 2009, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Draven83
All i have to say is you tell me where to get the JDM front bumper, rear bumper and hood for a 7 so i can do a conversion i will buy it. but it seems all i can find is a knock off and i am going to have to do that since i am not in japan. and not even Bulletproof has them listed the great JDM store.
Was that last comment a bit of a jab? Just because they don't carry a part you want, isn't forcing you to buy a knock off. I've seen JDM importers list parts like bumpers, its just a matter of searching the net. But if you don't have the time or patience, that's your business - not a stone to throw at BP.
Old May 22, 2009, 12:33 PM

true...i like original parts in most cases, but knock offs will always be around. no reason to get worked up about it
Old May 22, 2009, 12:43 PM
Silver Sponsor

Originally Posted by Milf_Hunter_V
so many things that goes into the equation of "LIFE".
I can definitely appreciate all your sentiments but I want to take a moment to focus on the above statement. Yes there are many things that go into what we call life. I believe that in any area of life the same values hold true. I try to live my life in a way that allows me to surround myself with things that are real and authentic.

Whether we're talking about personal relationships or car parts, ultimately the things that are genuine are more rewarding and satisfying. People put a significant investment into their cars. We understand this and we don't support people putting that investment into something that is not only fake, but is hurting the genuine things.
-Patrick