Notices

To those who feel knockoffs don't matter

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2009, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

I bought a Siebon Hood thinking it was Carbon fiber but it was fiberglass layered with carbon on top. I wanted the monster hood but it was 1200$( but it was a true 100% carbon hood). Anyway i wish I would have paid the money for the quality product and will never buy anything from siebon again period.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 04:28 AM
Evolving Member

LOL...
op...your sob story is great...guess what? I paid full price on jdm front and rear....had a car crash guess what my "JDM" crap did?....broke just like a replica...guess what i bought to get the car running again? replica! guess what looks EXACTLY DOWN TO THE LINES like my"JDM" stuff? you win if you guess my replica! and whats messed up is that i paid 1/4 of the price to get my new stuff....

and im sorry man I dont know you and im not flaming you...however, "R&D" on a trunk that they REPLICATED from BMW?????? hmmmmm.....sounds to me like do-luck got behind you and made you thier new jail house baby!
Old Jul 10, 2009, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i own a actual Do-Luck lip that i waited forever and a day for and was happier then a pig in, well you get the idea, when it showed up. and honestly i wish i had gone with a replica, i would have had more cash in pocket, and waited much less time to get it. its a awesome piece dont get me wrong but i honestly dont see the JDM crazy. They are awesome parts but too over priced.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 08:22 AM
Account Disabled

this is just another one of those never ending discussions/ arguments. no one is gonna stop making parts, and knock off companies arent going to stop copying. people make money any way they can, thats life. in the parts/ accessories industry you would think it would be a little more accepted by people like the OP, not much you can do to change it as of now.

BTW that is one nice A$$.

Old Jul 10, 2009, 01:20 PM
Evolving Member

That does suck but to put it simply, its not our problem.

Customers have no responsibilities towards sellers whatsoever aside from paying for their orders. I can't think of one industry where it's the customer's responsibility to worry about a vendor/manufacturers price point or bottom line. If two vendors offer a customer an identical trunk with one being 1/2 price versus full, how is it the customer's responsibility to go purchase fully priced items when the customer has their own overhead in the form of rent/food/bills/etc etc.

You know what, I think certain knockoff items have really come to mellow out the JDM hype. Look at that trunk for example. How much research and design really went into it? Take a stock trunk, mold some fiberglass or clay until you get it the way it looks and voila a 1k+ trunk? Look at arc or colt speed trying to sell us purple emblems for 300 bucks a pop? Or lets take Varis's carbon ducs for the evo VIII for example, RnD plus innovation blah blah blah so it comes out to like 800 bucks for the two ducs. Rexpeed does the same thing for the IX, a new part that no one else has done before and somehow they get it made for less than 300 bucks. And don't tell us nonesense about how rexpeed is in Taiwan. We all know most of Japan's uber JDM parts are made by the Taiwanese. Seriously lets face it, sometimes the research and design argument is just plain bogus.

And the worst part of the OP's argument is that knockoffs will put all the great JDM companies under, innovation will stop, and customers will be left with nothing to purchase. This type of conclusion overlooks the other obvious alternative. Force certain JDM companies to change. Alter price points/streamline the manufacturing process/become more efficent/etc etc. I think the perfect model company to look at is again, rexpeed. They have introduced several of their own designs, made them affordable, and made them with a level of quality that rivals just about any company in Japan. We, as customers, stand to benefit way more from companies like rexpeed than current companies that charge premiums for everything in a JDM catalog.

Like someone else already said, either try to change the law, or find a better way to compete in the current circumstances because again, its not really our problem.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 10:26 AM
Silver Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 1evo2h8
and im sorry man I dont know you and im not flaming you...however, "R&D" on a trunk that they REPLICATED from BMW?????? hmmmmm.....sounds to me like do-luck got behind you and made you thier new jail house baby!
I have to disagree here. Do-Luck did not replicate BMW's trunk. A trunk that used the BMW shape just would not look right on an EVO X. BMW is also by no means the first to have done a duckbill shaped spoiler. Nearly any design element that can be done has been seen before in one way or another but adapting an element to a design is not even close to the same as replicating. Do-Luck's trunk is a genuinely original shape.

-Patrick
Email: sales@bulletproofautomotive.com
Direct North American Dealers for Voltex, Mines, Varis, First Molding, HKS Kansai, Cusco, HKS, Advan, Volk, Ings+1, C-West, Work, and so much more...