Notices

To those who feel knockoffs don't matter

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2009, 02:03 PM
Silver Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
To those who feel knockoffs don't matter

Here at Bulletproof, we pride ourselves in offering only genuine JDM products and always will. We've been particularly disappointed recently with the requests for knockoffs of our Do-Luck duckbill trunk for the EVO X. The details of this have just been posted on our blog which I would encourage you to read it here. This is an issue that affects the entire community and everyone will suffer if it doesn't change. I understand that this is a sensitive issue, but I'd like to know what everyone has to say about it.

-Patrick
Email: sales@bulletproofautomotive.com
Direct North American Dealers for Voltex, Mines, Varis, First Molding, HKS Kansai, Cusco, HKS, Advan, Volk, Ings+1, C-West, Work, and so much more...

Last edited by BPAuto; May 20, 2009 at 09:56 AM.
Old May 19, 2009, 02:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So when can I order a knock-off?
Old May 19, 2009, 02:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DrasticK
So when can I order a knock-off?
Old May 19, 2009, 02:36 PM
Evolving Member

I know a lot of R&D goes into quality bits like the above trunk lid, the R&D and also a lot of the time, the 'name,' costs big money, so there will always be a market which appeals to the bottom line.....$$$$.................
Old May 19, 2009, 02:41 PM
Evolving Member

Jobs like IT, customer service call centers, and especially manufacturing jobs, have all been outsourced out by government to overseas producers. Why shouldn't it be different for car parts? You can make a difference though, instead of posting on this site you could write a letter to your state legislature and try to effect change on the copyright laws in the US, maybe even start a petition.

Imitation is the greatest form of flattery. With that being said, I love my ebay intercooler.
Old May 19, 2009, 02:43 PM

you can keep your pride.. i'll take the knock off for 1/4 the price thanks..
Old May 19, 2009, 02:50 PM

but seriously tho.. did you really think there won't be a replica??? come on.. the replica body kit industry is and has always been huge..

why do you worry about your profit if you think your product is superior to replicas... or is it...

there will be show ****** and ballers who always want originals.. and then there's people like us who see the value of replicas.. who other wise would never buy your original anyway due to price..
Old May 19, 2009, 03:29 PM
Evolving Member

Look man, there are going to be replicas no matter what. Yeah it sucks that r&d goes into stuff then others copy it, but thats how it is. Not everyone can afford top notch stuff so they are going to settle for something cheaper and more cost friendly.

Thats just how it is, and its not going to change.
Old May 19, 2009, 03:34 PM
Account Disabled

How much R&D do you really think went into making a trunk lid? I'm sure designing anything takes plenty of cash, but the basic structure of the trunk was already done by Mitsubishi. They just had to copy that with some alterations to the outer skin basically. They aren't charging an arm and a leg just for R&D, you are paying a lot for the name.

Nevermind, nothing is stopping Do-Luck from trying to reach the people in the market who can't drop almost $1k on a trunk. They could come out with a fiberglass version or spend less time making it completely perfect (or whatever their excuse is for insane prices). I like well engineered products to a point, but if the difference between a $400 trunk and a $1000 trunk can only be seen if you are really looking close, I really couldn't care less about the expensive one. Even if we assume they are not over-charging for their name, then maybe they need to scale back their engineering effort. Evo's don't need parts engineered to please Lambo owners for the most part. Basically don't blame the market because you misjudged it. If they are going out of business because they can't sell enough $1000 trunks, then maybe they overestimated how much the average Evo owner will spend and how much perfection they demand from their products.

That being said, I don't really think you are stealing their design by making a competing duckbill trunk. Do-Luck did not invent the duckbill, rather they stole the idea from or were inspired by BMW (depending on your viewpoint). They don't get free reign to have the only duckbill trunk on the market. Stealing it would be if someone bought a Do-Luck trunk and made a mold of it and started selling trunks from that mold, which is often not the case in knock-off companies.

Lastly, man I wish someone would make an affordable duckbill trunk. That thing is seck-say but I'm one of the ones who can't justify that price and I really don't give a crap if it is CF.
Old May 19, 2009, 03:41 PM
Evolving Member

on the contrary, if say i had a local shop make a replica of the do luck trunk, sourcing all their materials from united states distributors. It would be helping OUR economy, which is the only one that matters to me.

Im sorry but screw buying JDM stuff, your spending all your money in the process of helping foreign economies grow. When you can be buying USDM and help turn around the terrible state of recession we are currently facing.

Please don't get me wrong JDM stuff is very high quality and is very nice, but in no way, shape, or form does it "affects the entire community and everyone will suffer if it doesn't change"

even though when i buy my X i will be buying the do-luck trunk JDM if there is not a USDM style available, it just looks soooo good.... but coming from a e46 m3, and having a CSL trunk by vorsteiner that cost 1200 this is not much of a change for me.

Travis
Old May 19, 2009, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Silversx
you can keep your pride.. i'll take the knock off for 1/4 the price thanks..
+1 i put my wallet before any companys brand name.
Old May 19, 2009, 03:43 PM
Evolving Member

I don't condone knockoffs or replicas and don't and haven't owned any for my car. That being said, it's just a cruel reality of the market for third party companies to create knock off products. And these days they don't even have to be lower quality products either. Look at race on usa they essentially make knock off designs of body kits. But keep in mind i said design, some of their products are actually superior to the original "jdm" manufacturer in terms of installation, reliability, and materials selection. And this is how companies can differentiate themselves in the market. Another one of these ways is to cut cost and sometimes even quality. When the consumer makes a decision to purchase said products they have to weigh the cost benefit to the quality of the product they are buying. It's unfortunate that you paid for the initial R&D costs and that a third company can swoop in and reverse engineer your hard work but this is just reality.

What is also unfortunate is that copywrighting the design has little effect on the behavior of third party manufacturers as well. Be it foreign laws which do not recognize US copywright laws or just blatant copying. The best solution is just to sell as many as you can and move on. That's just the way it works. Don't believe me look at history that's why the real good companies are always innovating and always staying ahead of the competition (and yes copy cats are your competition because they are competing for your profits).

http://www.realestatejournal.com/hom...9-coleman.html

that link is an article describing the cut throat side of business in the christmas lighting market. you can very easily substitute christmas lights with "jdm product".

Just so you know I fully support enterprising individuals who are daring enough to innovate and differentiate themselves from others and I wish the best of luck to you. I would purchase your trunk lid (because i really like the design) but it's on the back end of my wishlist for my car and i'm just not down there yet!
Old May 19, 2009, 03:50 PM
Evolving Member

+1 they did steal the design from the BMW E46 M3 CSL, obviously its not exact but they originally came up with the idea.

Originally Posted by LowTech302
How much R&D do you really think went into making a trunk lid? I'm sure designing anything takes plenty of cash, but the basic structure of the trunk was already done by Mitsubishi. They just had to copy that with some alterations to the outer skin basically. They aren't charging an arm and a leg just for R&D, you are paying a lot for the name.

Nevermind, nothing is stopping Do-Luck from trying to reach the people in the market who can't drop almost $1k on a trunk. They could come out with a fiberglass version or spend less time making it completely perfect (or whatever their excuse is for insane prices). I like well engineered products to a point, but if the difference between a $400 trunk and a $1000 trunk can only be seen if you are really looking close, I really couldn't care less about the expensive one. Even if we assume they are not over-charging for their name, then maybe they need to scale back their engineering effort. Evo's don't need parts engineered to please Lambo owners for the most part. Basically don't blame the market because you misjudged it. If they are going out of business because they can't sell enough $1000 trunks, then maybe they overestimated how much the average Evo owner will spend and how much perfection they demand from their products.

That being said, I don't really think you are stealing their design by making a competing duckbill trunk. Do-Luck did not invent the duckbill, rather they stole the idea from or were inspired by BMW (depending on your viewpoint). They don't get free reign to have the only duckbill trunk on the market. Stealing it would be if someone bought a Do-Luck trunk and made a mold of it and started selling trunks from that mold, which is often not the case in knock-off companies.

Lastly, man I wish someone would make an affordable duckbill trunk. That thing is seck-say but I'm one of the ones who can't justify that price and I really don't give a crap if it is CF.
Old May 19, 2009, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
i do understand both side .

But the knock offs usually not as good quality as the original. Also the original comes out first. So if they would llower the price, they might would kill most of the knock off companies.

Why? because they first on the market + better quality and a reasonable price.

They basically kill them self's with the example $2K CF hood etc.
If they would be a little reasonable many many people wouldn't even consider the knock offs. And they would make it up the price gap with the gained sale numbers.... But with less competition.
I'm talking about general JDM, not a specific company.
this is my take on this.
ps if i can afford i do by JDM though

Last edited by Robevo RS; May 19, 2009 at 03:54 PM.
Old May 19, 2009, 04:06 PM

Let me pull out my Violin for you guys (BPauto)