Notices

Buschur Racing 1/2 width radiator

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2010, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Buschur Racing 1/2 width radiator

We have been offering a 1/2 width radiator for a very long time, I'd venture to say the first guys to put one in an EVO. Originally we used a Fluidyne radiator for another car and then modified it to fit. The radiators worked exceptionally well but by the time we had to cut some parts off and weld on new to make them work they were not very pretty.

I have been extremely impressed with the quality of the Fluidyne radiator and have found it to keep the car cooler than any other radiator commonly sold for the EVO.

The other thing I have been overly impressed with is the abuse the Fluidyne takes. We have blown a few head gaskets causing the radiators to actually balloon. The radiators have measured as much as 3" WIDER in the center from these mishaps and I have NEVER-EVER seen one leak a drop of fluid. That is impressive. Other radiators I've seen completely explode and lose entire top or bottom tanks, this can be extemely dangerous when on the race track.

These new radiators are a direct fit and use the stock upper and lower mounting brackets. They will be available in -10 AN inlet/outlet only but will have an option to adapt from that to your stock radiator hose if you wish. The radiators will also come with a high flow, fully shrouded FAL fan.

As I said, we have had such great success with the Fluidyne it was time to take it to the next level and get a custom made part for what we were trying to do. I spoke with Fluidyne and had questions about why theire radiator, while "looking like" so many of the others, performed so much better and stayed together in a case of an extreme blown head gasket. This is what they had to say:

"In the world of Heat Exchangers… there are a lot of Impersonators. Like some low cost drugs sold on the internet, there are lots of Generic radiators available out there that are produced from a huge array of “Me-Too” producers who can copy good designs but don’t have a clue how to add the ‘secret sauce’. Yes, their parts often look like the real deal and often, they sell at eye-popping prices but believe me… they don’t know what really makes them work. That knowledge comes from real Engineers who have made a career out of maximizing the performance of a cooler rather than being focused on how to copy a good design."

Here is why this radiator cools so well and why we have chosen Fluidyne to make these for us:

1. Looking at the ‘water-side’ of your radiators, they have been designed with a 38mm radiator tube which allows high volume water flow with a minimum of turbulence and pressure drop… two key attributes of any high performance cooling system

2. The ‘air-side’ of your radiators employ a high performance ‘louvered’ air fin which provides significantly higher rates of heat rejection at lower air speeds.

3. The core is constructed with clad tubes and clad headers which promote a better tube-to-tubesheet braze joint and allows the use of thinner fin material… a critical aspect in the heat exchange that is characteristic of a high performance air fin.

Finally here is a picture of the finished radiator:

These radiators will be $500. The high flow fully shrouded fan will add another $150 to the kit pricing. Pictures of the complete unit coming, installed with the fan.

Last edited by David Buschur; Mar 9, 2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
very nice looking unit,id buy one if my older BR fluidyne wasnt working so dam well!!
Old Mar 9, 2010, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

reaction, I hope you never need a new one! They do cool well, it's impressive. Thanks for the support.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do they come without the AN threads? and if not were can i get the AN hoses? im in the market for a new radiator and i might get this to clear my TS kit.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, the radiator comes as pictured with the AN fittings. AN hoses can be bought anywhere, Summit, Jeg's etc.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 02:02 PM

yea ik i can buy the hoses but do i have to rig up some crazyness to go to the thermostat housing or do you sell a fitting for the thermostat housing? and what about connecting to the lower hard pipe behind the block? sorry to be a PITA i was just gonna order the AMS mini kit tonight but this sparked my interest.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 02:07 PM
Evolving Member

You could make a killing if you started selling a thermostat housing with the AN fitting already welded on. Maybe do a core exchange program on them.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mayberry
you could make a killing if you started selling a thermostat housing with the an fitting already welded on. Maybe do a core exchange program on them.
+1
Old Mar 9, 2010, 03:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks great! When we start making the complete FF kits we will use your Rad kits for sure.

-Em
Old Mar 9, 2010, 03:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
+1 for the thermostat housing with AN fitting. Whats the craic with the bottom hose fitting on the engine?
Old Mar 9, 2010, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

NO problem at all doing the thermostat housing or the water feed pipe. We can weld those up very easily. I don't know how much the thermostat housing neck and water pipe cost, I'm assuming it's better for you guys to send your parts to us to have modified/welded. We can do them very reasonable.

Conrad, what is "craic"?
Old Mar 9, 2010, 05:14 PM

what do you think the pricing would be if we sent those parts in?
Old Mar 9, 2010, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

I think I can modify those two parts for about $50.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 06:00 PM
Evolving Member

So David, since it was my great idea, I get 10% off the double pumper I talked to Jarrod about today. lol
Old Mar 9, 2010, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Is it lighter than the stock radiator?

Quick Reply: Buschur Racing 1/2 width radiator