Notices

Freshly Released Quartermaster Race Version 8 Leg Clutch!!!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2010, 09:23 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Freshly Released Quartermaster Race Version 8 Leg Clutch!!!

Strictly Modified has been working closely with Quartermaster in testing and developing this clutch. Just wanted to give everyone a peek at Quartermaster's new 8 leg race version clutch and let everyone know our experiences while testing this clutch in two of our close customer cars.

Through our testing in two of our 600+ hp 9 sec Evo's we have some good feedback and comparisons to the older style Quartermasters.

1) First the dreaded chatter
- unlike the older style Quartermasters these do not have the loud rattle and chatter. They have more of a very faint rattle about 1/3 the noise of the older style Quartermasters.
2) Drivability- This new style is not as harsh on first gear engagement. The older style takes a good amount of getting used to especially to the first time twin disc owner.
3)High RPM shifting- High RPM shifting has also improved. Given the feedback from the drivers of these two cars they have said that its a noticeable difference when shifting in the high rpms as opposed to the older style QM's.
4) Friction Material- One of Quartermaster goals was to make a friction material that will last longer and boy did they. It lasted about 1/3 longer than the older style QM's. Also a huge reduction in clutch dust build up in the bell housing which can build up on the hyraulic release bearing causing the bearing not slide freely.
5) Leg Design- QM has upgraded to an 8 leg design that is integrated into the flywheel not the clutch cover. These legs are also made out of steel not aluminum. A problem we noticed with the older style QM's was that the floaters would wear into the legs of the clutch cover especially on higher hp Evo's. Once that happens you will have shifting and lock out problems due to the clutch not disengaging properly due the the floaters getting caught up on the cover. Problem solved with the new QM race version clutch. We pulled the clutch out after about 35+ 9 sec passes and there was little to no wear on the legs.
6) Hub Design- Unlike the older style QM's the new race version has one center hub as opposed to two individual hubs.
7) Hydraulic Release Bearing- Those of you already equipped with a Quartermaster can simply just buy the clutch assembly and use your existing release bearing.

Overall the Race Version clutch has vastly approved over the older style QM. Almost every aspect of this clutch has been improved. It was a pleasure working with Quartermaster through the whole development and testing process. If anyone has any questions or concerns feel free to contact us.

Below is a video of customer Joey V in his FP black Evo running the race version clutch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQrpCe043nQ

Here's some pics and pricing on the new QM race version.
Prototype phase-

Final product-

Pricing-

5 or 6 speed Quartermaster 8 Leg Race Version Twin Disc (Free Shipping) - $1659.98

Race Version Clutch with Release Bearing (Free Shipping)- $1788.75

Last edited by Strictly Modified; Feb 9, 2011 at 09:43 AM.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ugh do want, im going to see if i can sell my current QM to pick this up
Old Nov 10, 2010, 11:59 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by psphinx81
ugh do want, im going to see if i can sell my current QM to pick this up
Excellent bud! Let us know.

-Cisco
Old Nov 10, 2010, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

The clutch is simply amazing compared to the older styles. I have been running QM clutches since early 08. This one is all around better, even if it is just driving it around town, or going to the track and racing it. I love the high RPM shifting and less chatter it makes. When SM and I were testing it, I noticed the difference right away. Not to mention, this one lasted about 50 passes and still was holding strong! All around great clutch and im sure who buys this will NOT be dissapointed. QM has a customer for life and cant wait till next season to get back to racing. Thank you Strictly Modified and Quarter Master!!
Old Nov 10, 2010, 03:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Evosick2332
The clutch is simply amazing compared to the older styles. I have been running QM clutches since early 08. This one is all around better, even if it is just driving it around town, or going to the track and racing it. I love the high RPM shifting and less chatter it makes. When SM and I were testing it, I noticed the difference right away. Not to mention, this one lasted about 50 passes and still was holding strong! All around great clutch and im sure who buys this will NOT be dissapointed. QM has a customer for life and cant wait till next season to get back to racing. Thank you Strictly Modified and Quarter Master!!
No problem Joe, we are looking forward to next season.

-Cisco
Old Nov 12, 2010, 10:36 AM
Former Sponsor

Ttt
Old Nov 13, 2010, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i wish someone would buy my effing current QM!!!
Old Nov 14, 2010, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there going to be a street version or is this it?
Old Nov 15, 2010, 06:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any for DSM?
Old Nov 15, 2010, 08:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by binh
Is there going to be a street version or is this it?
This is the race version which is a lot more streetable then the older style QM's. However a actual street version is in the works.

Unfortunately there are none for Dsms at this time.

-Cisco

Last edited by Strictly Modified; Nov 15, 2010 at 08:50 AM.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 08:50 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
That is the race version not the street version. Your contradicting your first post homie!

<3 you Cisco!
Old Nov 15, 2010, 09:08 AM
Evolving Member

glad they came out with this vision, once i pull the motor out to build it i will be taking the qm i got now to upgrade to this one
Old Nov 15, 2010, 09:32 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by maperformance
That is the race version not the street version. Your contradicting your first post homie!

<3 you Cisco!
I dont know what I was thinking when I posted it that - fixed!

Ps - Wow lol
Old Nov 15, 2010, 09:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jdowd
glad they came out with this vision, once i pull the motor out to build it i will be taking the qm i got now to upgrade to this one
Great to know bud!

-Cisco
Old Nov 23, 2010, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

so what are we looking at mileage wise? compared to the tripple? I am running around 525/475 mustang with more in the works. I need a clutch now.

Quick Reply: Freshly Released Quartermaster Race Version 8 Leg Clutch!!!