Notices

New Product: Competition Brake System featuring AP Racing components

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2011, 10:25 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Product: Competition Brake System featuring AP Racing components

Hi Guys,
I had a long post going in the Motorsports section during the development of our new Essex Competition Brake System. We released the final system a couple of weeks back, and I realized that I never actually posted a link in this forum! The Evo brake forum is probably a decent place to put this, no?

Our new brake system fits behind stock 17's, shaves 8 lbs. of weight from each front corner, and uses an inexpensive, 20mm thick brake pad. It also uses stainless steel caliper pistons with anti-knockback springs, AP Racing J Hook heavy duty racing discs, fully floating disc hats, high temperature seals, Spiegler SS brake lines...the list of features is a laundry list of 'do-wants' for the serious track enthusiast.

We've already won a bunch of local and national level races around the country with the same caliper and disc on a host of C5 and C6 corvettes. You can see them in action under full race conditions here.

Please visit our site for all of the details, video, pics, testing info, etc. We have these systems on the shelf and ready to ship today. As a forum vendor, we'd like to thank you very much for your continued support.

Last edited by JRitt@essex; May 23, 2011 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Added link to vette video
Old May 24, 2011, 04:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wilwood calipers?
Old May 24, 2011, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

^ No, AP Racing calipers.

If I have any funds left after my next round of turbo mods, this kit is going onto my car.

l8r)
Old May 27, 2011, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mods for next year. Any chance of a rear kit too?
Old May 29, 2011, 04:14 AM
Evolving Member

I have both front and rear ap racing brake kit on my Evo9 Time attack car.. it's well worth it..
Old Jun 8, 2011, 11:26 AM
Former Sponsor

Mods for next year. Any chance of a rear kit too?
Yes, we're looking at some options on the rear...would likely use the same caliper and disc so front and rear pads and discs would be interchangeable as they wear out.

Also, we just had a customer run the prototype of the WRX STI version of this system at VIR full course last weekend. He hammered them all day on his modded '08 STI with R compounds, and they worked flawlessly with minimal pad or disc wear. I'll post more details from him as I have them.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 11:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by JRitt@essex
Yes, we're looking at some options on the rear...would likely use the same caliper and disc so front and rear pads and discs would be interchangeable as they wear out.

Also, we just had a customer run the prototype of the WRX STI version of this system at VIR full course last weekend. He hammered them all day on his modded '08 STI with R compounds, and they worked flawlessly with minimal pad or disc wear. I'll post more details from him as I have them.

Paul was a great customer for pads/rotors- so it looks like that will slow down.

The brakes were part of a 2.5 second improvement at VIR.

2:12.xx in a stg 2 sti at VIR full is cooking.

6-8 pounds per corner - lower cost of ownership....easy pickings.

Wear pictures coming soon.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 02:20 AM
Evolving Member

Personally, I think we're bieng ripped off without some the REAL strap drive rotors....
The latest PFC kit is like 50% cheaper...
Old Jun 9, 2011, 04:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Any chance for 6 piston front and 4 piston rear?
Old Jun 9, 2011, 06:19 AM
Account Disabled

Personally, I think we're bieng ripped off without some the REAL strap drive rotors....
The latest PFC kit is like 50% cheaper...
Why exactly would you would prefer a strap drive setup on a racing brake kit? The disc attachment hardware in our system is identical to what we're using in the pinnacle of pro racing (ALMS, NASCAR, etc.). As for the disc itself, it is a genuine AP Racing J Hook, 70 vane, heavy duty racing disc. It's a slightly smaller version of what is on the C6R in ALMS. I'm not really sure how that's a bad thing, or why you would prefer something else!

Also, to which specific PFC kit are you referring? According to my research, we're offering a completely sorted brake system from the #1 brake manufacturer in the world, designed specifically for your car, using the same components found on top level professional race cars, for roughly the same price as competitive systems on the market. And as EVOBrakes mentioned above...running costs and replacement parts are cheaper than OEM. Seems like a pretty solid bargain to me.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 06:23 AM
Account Disabled

Any chance for 6 piston front and 4 piston rear?
We don't have anything of this sort in development currently. Sorry!
Old Jun 9, 2011, 07:19 AM

Very nice kit!
Old Jun 9, 2011, 09:03 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by J Ritt
:swoon:
Old Jun 9, 2011, 09:48 AM
Evolving Member

The strap drive system offers a new take on the floating systems already in the market place. Strap drive uses a series of stainless steel straps to locate the disc to the mounting bell, producing a flexible coupling between the hub and the disc faces. This allows the disc to run true in the caliper under all conditions and also permits the disc to expand and contract without being restricted.
Some current replacement discs in the market place have evolved from Motorsport applications, they typically use a drive bobbin to provide some disc float and were devised to reduce pad knock off on race cars. This system can work on a road application but there are some major drawbacks that the Strap Drive has overcome with its simplicity.
Bobbin float discs rely on a series of drive bobbins moving freely in drive slots. This movement can create wear during service and promote noise. The slots can fill up with road / brake debris causing them to seize. AP Racings strap couplings can't suffer from any of these drawbacks. Therefore Service life, brake noise and also brake pedal travel are all improved.

The key points with strap drive discs

* Compared with single piece discs the disc is de-coupled from hub, this allows disc to align itself perfectly within the caliper.
* Improved pedal feel and brake response as a result of improved disc alignment within caliper.
* Improved pedal feel at elevated temperatures as disc rotor is able to expand in a controlled manner with little influence from the disc mounting. This greatly reduces disc coning.
* Controlled axial float of disc rotor reduces brake 'knock-off' which can result in an inconsistent pedal feel.
* No free moving parts means that the wear problems normally associated with floating disc designs is not present.
* No free moving parts means that there are no clearances to become clogged with debris and corrosion which would prevent a conventional floating disc from operating correctly.
* No free moving parts means no unwanted mechanical noise from discs.
* Disc rotor and strap sub assembly available as service item for cost effective servicing.
* Successfully used in race applications.
Important note: When replacing brake pads with strap drive discs fitted, do not push the pistons back in to the caliper by use of a lever against the discs.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 10:22 AM
Evolving Member

hate it when vendors post up some sexy pic and dont even know they carry an infirior product from the SAME BRAND.... 2.5k? Jeez... and thats far from a TOP-OF-THE brake caliper.

Quick Reply: New Product: Competition Brake System featuring AP Racing components