Notices

AMS Newly Engineering EVO VII-IX Cast V-band turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2011, 10:59 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AMS Newly Engineering EVO VII-IX Cast V-band turbo kit

AMS has been busy the past couple of years making new products for a wide variety of cars but we have not forgotten our EVO customers.

When initially designing our current EVO Turbo kit we never dreamed turbo technology would take us to where we are at today. Our 5 bolt turbine housing while offering a responsive / quick spooling setup has become a limitation on the larger frame T3 turbos. This mindset has now birthed the newest generation of AMS EVO VII-IX turbo kit.

This new kit improves just about every area of our already power potent turbo kit. The larger diameter runners allow for even more HP. The header is over 75% cast allowing not only a stronger setup but one that allows for an even more efficient design. The wastegate is now located on the manifold allowing us to open up the kit to latest of precision turbo offerings. Being built around the V-band turbine housing means no more gaskets and a clean cast V-band O2 housing.

In the end the entire kit has been reworked using the engineering and insight acquired from our 10 years of forced induction experience. Quite possibly the best part is the target cost of the kit is no higher than our current kit!

The new kit should have an official release in around 6 weeks. We will keep you posted with pricing and details as it becomes available.

now on with the pics!

Last edited by AutoMotoSports; Jun 1, 2011 at 12:53 PM.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is this turbo gonna be pretty quick spooling?? Or is it one of those that doesnt start spooling till like 4500 RPM!?
Old Jun 1, 2011, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The new turbo kit appears appealing. I look forward to seeing the testing results.

Originally Posted by Go_Lancer_Go
is this turbo gonna be pretty quick spooling?? Or is it one of those that doesnt start spooling till like 4500 RPM!?
The turbo kit is not for only one certain type of turbo; I imagine it will cover the T3 series turbos which range from Garrett's 30R series to 37R series to Precision's billet turbo line-up. If you are looking for something with a fast spool up you should look into FP's stock framed turbos, e.g. FP HTA GREEN

Last edited by caLi4G63; Jun 1, 2011 at 10:37 PM.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 11:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pricing? Why is the turbo and mani not sitting straight when mounted on the block? It looks slanted. There better be a good reason for that.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 06:28 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by caLi4G63
The new turbo kit appears appealing. I look forward to seeing the testing results.

The turbo kit is not for only one certain type of turbo; I imagine it will cover the T3 series turbos which range from Garrett's 30R series to 37R series to Precision's billet turbo line-up. If you are looking for something with a fast spool up you should look into FP's stock framed turbos, e.g. FP HTA GREEN
You are correct we will be offering the PTE line of turbos in this kit

Originally Posted by thatguysmells
Pricing? Why is the turbo and mani not sitting straight when mounted on the block? It looks slanted. There better be a good reason for that.
The turbo is mounted in that location to allow for proper clearance in the engine bay. There is no negative effect on performance having it not perfectly level.

Eric
Old Jun 2, 2011, 08:15 AM
Evolving Member

you promised to bring this up in a meeting some 10 months ago.... and you BRING IT SINGLE SCROLL? motorcycle on steroids dyno graphs are getting kinda boring.... WHY just WHY AMS?
Old Jun 3, 2011, 07:14 AM
Former Sponsor

The new V-band turbine housings offered by companies like Precision turbo and Tial are LEAPS AND BOUNDS better than their predecessors. I would stack these new turbo's against any comparable twin scroll counterpart.

We have said over and over again the small spool benefits from a twin scroll turbo are out matched by the power created by a single scroll. Toss an even more efficient V-band housing into the equation that is now LIGHTER and its no contest.

Eric

Last edited by AutoMotoSports; Jun 3, 2011 at 07:43 AM.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 08:06 AM
Evolving Member

Eric,

This turbo kit looks incredible. I love my AMS T3 turbo kit and if I ever plan up going past my current setup, I'll be sure to pick this kit up.

Btw, the old twin vs single scroll debate is getting quite old. Single scroll spools perfectly fine.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 08:45 AM
Evolving Member

Im sure the peak-power "OUTMATCH" you're talking about rises PROPORTIONALLY with airflow (which advantages CHAMPION AMS cars, other dyno queens and empty drag soda cans using overboost, race fuels, flatfootshifting, ETC USED TO KEEP THE CAR ALIVE AT LEAST FOR A COUPLE OF 10 SEC STINTS A SEASON) but its been proven time and time again that corner exit torque and OVERALL throttle-power response (ACCELARATION) outmatch trap speeds (TOPEND) at the curcuit, road course, touge, road racing, streetracing, auto-x, drifting, etc. AND MAKE FOR A MUCH MORE USABLE AND OBTAINABLE FUN.

NOW PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS, AND ADD A FRICKEN SECOND WASTEGATE AND EXHAUST INLET HOLE.. AND GO FOR A RIDE YOURSELF BEHIND THE WHEEL. WHENS THE LAST TIME YOU DROVE A TWINSCROLL, TWIN EWG, CAST MANIFOLD, BILLET WHEEL, V-BAND EVO??

WHATS THE POINT OF GAUGING INTEREST IN THIS FORUM FOR PRODUCT RESEARCH, and YET YOU COME OUT WITH A PRODUCT FOR A DISCONTINUED CAR, and AGAIN SINGLESCROLL....

HERE IS THE LIST OF POSSIBLE REPLYS ON THIS TOPIC FROM YOU

1). If you're looking for spool/response why not go with established, abundant stock frame turbo and not flame in this AMS vendor section?

BECAUSE I WANT THE GAINS I ASKED FROM YOU WITH A SMOOTH CAST MANIFOLD
BECAUSE I DONT WANT THE RESTRICTION FROM THE STOCK HOTSIDE HOUSING MEANT FOR 220whp.
BECAUSE I WANT BALL BEARINGS
BECAUSE I WANT BILLET WHEELS
BECAUSE I DONT WANT TURBULENCE IN THE TURBINE, I WANT TO USE EWG FOR FLOW BENEFIT (WHICH INCREASES WITH THE DECREASE OF TURBINE SIZE, AND ASPECT RATIO)
BECAUSE I WANT V-BANDS

2). DRIFTING IS NOT DONE IN AWD CARS

FALSE
Old Jun 3, 2011, 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

How many internet posts about single scroll spools fine can we tolerate AND let companies get away with saving a couple hundred bucks on routing a second wastegate ??

DO YOU REALLY BELIEVE THAT THERE WOULD BE INSTANCES OF CUSTOMERS UNHAPPY AS TO WHY THIER NEW KIT HAS TWO HOLES WHEN THEY ARE USED TO HAVING ONE?

I DONT EVEN SEE A NEED FOR FURTHER DISCUSSION...
I SERIOUSLY FEEL LIKE GIFTING YOU GUYS AN TWINSCROLL EFR JUST TO HAVE YOU GUYS STEP UP AND MAKE A KIT.....

Last edited by STi*guy.kiev; Jun 3, 2011 at 09:06 AM.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

Wait, are you asking for a vband inlet on a twinscroll exhaust housing?
Old Jun 3, 2011, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Why are you still running a three bolt flange on the 02 housing instead of a v-band if we are going to have to buy your down pipe anyways.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 01:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SyZyGy1394
Wait, are you asking for a vband inlet on a twinscroll exhaust housing?
my thoughts exactly.

Sti dOOder....have you seen the transient response characteristics of a good, cast SS housing VS std cast TS hosing?

the smoother volute alone(dont forget about the better heat characteristics of SS) is worth a chunk in spool.

the new SS housings, even on a single scroll, are preforming vary good!
Old Jun 3, 2011, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

I am not sure why you are soooo angry , i mean seriously, they came out with a great product that out produces their old kits... Isn't that the goal, make more power with a better performing setup? You need to take a happy pill my friend. All I am going to say is you are talking to AMS like you have raced them in redline and kicked their A$$es with a twin scroll setup. They have set numerous track records with their evo so i am guessing they have done something right with their crappy single scroll setup. Give them some time and im sure they will have a dyno sheet showing the improvements...

Its great to ask questions about why or why nots but their is a proper way of asking and sounding like an a$$ is not one of them.

Have you tried working with a company to work with you direct in order to make a product that you are happy with??

Originally Posted by STi*guy.kiev
Im sure the peak-power "OUTMATCH" you're talking about rises PROPORTIONALLY with airflow (which advantages CHAMPION AMS cars, other dyno queens and empty drag soda cans using overboost, race fuels, flatfootshifting, ETC USED TO KEEP THE CAR ALIVE AT LEAST FOR A COUPLE OF 10 SEC STINTS A SEASON) but its been proven time and time again that corner exit torque and OVERALL throttle-power response (ACCELARATION) outmatch trap speeds (TOPEND) at the curcuit, road course, touge, road racing, streetracing, auto-x, drifting, etc. AND MAKE FOR A MUCH MORE USABLE AND OBTAINABLE FUN.

NOW PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS, AND ADD A FRICKEN SECOND WASTEGATE AND EXHAUST INLET HOLE.. AND GO FOR A RIDE YOURSELF BEHIND THE WHEEL. WHENS THE LAST TIME YOU DROVE A TWINSCROLL, TWIN EWG, CAST MANIFOLD, BILLET WHEEL, V-BAND EVO??

WHATS THE POINT OF GAUGING INTEREST IN THIS FORUM FOR PRODUCT RESEARCH, and YET YOU COME OUT WITH A PRODUCT FOR A DISCONTINUED CAR, and AGAIN SINGLESCROLL....

HERE IS THE LIST OF POSSIBLE REPLYS ON THIS TOPIC FROM YOU

1). If you're looking for spool/response why not go with established, abundant stock frame turbo and not flame in this AMS vendor section?

BECAUSE I WANT THE GAINS I ASKED FROM YOU WITH A SMOOTH CAST MANIFOLD
BECAUSE I DONT WANT THE RESTRICTION FROM THE STOCK HOTSIDE HOUSING MEANT FOR 220whp.
BECAUSE I WANT BALL BEARINGS
BECAUSE I WANT BILLET WHEELS
BECAUSE I DONT WANT TURBULENCE IN THE TURBINE, I WANT TO USE EWG FOR FLOW BENEFIT (WHICH INCREASES WITH THE DECREASE OF TURBINE SIZE, AND ASPECT RATIO)
BECAUSE I WANT V-BANDS

2). DRIFTING IS NOT DONE IN AWD CARS

FALSE
Old Jun 3, 2011, 04:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by AutoMotoSports
The new V-band turbine housings offered by companies like Precision turbo and Tial are LEAPS AND BOUNDS better than their predecessors. I would stack these new turbo's against any comparable twin scroll counterpart.

We have said over and over again the small spool benefits from a twin scroll turbo are out matched by the power created by a single scroll. Toss an even more efficient V-band housing into the equation that is now LIGHTER and its no contest.

Eric
Sounds like an ECHO.. Maybe it will sink in now that it has been said ONCE AGAIN by AMS..

Eric.. The kit looks great i must say.. Shocked to see you releasing new products for the 8/9 but none the less looks well designed!! Good luck!!

Quick Reply: AMS Newly Engineering EVO VII-IX Cast V-band turbo kit