Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

New Girodisc 2-PC Rotors Installed!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2005, 11:03 AM
KK
EvoM Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up New Girodisc 2-PC Rotors Installed!

Well, my brake pads and rotors were at the ragged edge so it was about time I did something about it. I was researching available products out there when I came across the owner of Girodisc at a local car event. They've been developing rotors for Ferraris and Posches up to this point, but he mentioned that they were making a full set of front and rear 2-pc floating rotors for the Evo

I just got a full set installed a few weeks ago and so far they rock!!! Installation is just a standard rotor and pad swap.

Although they're floating rotors they don't make any rattling noises thanks to anti-noise springs. I've heard floating rotors can still make noises even with anti-noise springs, but so far these have been quiet.

The Girodisc rotors also use directional vanes instead of pillar vanes like the stock setup. This allows air to pass through and cool the Girodisc rotor better, which is important if you plan to track your car. The fronts saved about 6.5lbs and the rear saved about 7lbs or so for a total of 13.5lbs.

I also picked up a set of Ferodo DS2500 pads from them for street/track use. They included some nifty titanium heat shields with the pads to keep heat away from the rotor and fluid. Should prove really useful for any track junky

On regular, low-speed street driving, the cold Ferodo pads don't seem to stop any worse than the stock pads. The pedal feel seems about the same, but when you really get on them they start to show their muscle. The car stops a LOT better when you begin to push it.

IMPORTANT:
The Ferodos do need to get up to operating temp in order for the pad material to adhere to the new rotors. The first thing you'll want to do is find an area that isn't heavily trafficed. Then do a series of 70-10 or 20 mph stops. Do about 5-7 to get the pad temps up and then give them ample time to cool off. This is probably best done late at night on a lightly trafficed highway.

Next plan is the get the car CA smogged so I can get tags and then get to some track events and test these things to the fullest. So far, I can safely say I'm now confident that the car is ready for track use.

Here's some pics of the setup:

Rear pad w/ titanium heat shield:

Girodisc rotor installed:

With wheels installed:

Overall, I recommend this setup for someone who plans to track their Evo, but doesn't want to deal with excessive big brake upgrades. A total set of Girodisc rotors retail for about $1,350. Just front rotors retail for $650 / set. Since there are few, if any, floating rear rotors available for the Evo the Girodisc set is definitely something to look into.

If you want to read more, check out the the article I posted up here:
https://www.evolutionm.net/features/article.php?id=48

You can find more info on the rotors at the Girodisc web site as well:
http://www.girodisc.com

Last edited by spt; Jan 23, 2007 at 04:30 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2005, 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

Good write up!

I just got some Stoptech direct replacement rotors with Ferrodo DS2500 pads. I will have to look into getting a pair of these rotors. Any idea how much the replacement rotors cost?
Old Apr 27, 2005, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

looks & sounds great but the price is high for rotors
Old Apr 27, 2005, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

These are probably overkill for the rears.. other then bling factor all the braking action occurs in the front.
Old Apr 27, 2005, 03:40 PM
KK
EvoM Administrator

I contacted them about replacement rotor pricing and should hear back from them soon.

I think these rotors would be overkill for regular street use only. Unless you plan to track the car, you won't really see a difference. The rears aren't a requirement, but I wanted a uniform look and there were still some benefits of reduce weight. Their rear rotor weighed over 3lbs less than my worn-through stock rotor

Mark
Old Apr 27, 2005, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

i would buy them if the front and rear costed around 700 or less.i wouldn't just want the fronts either w/o having it match the back
Old Apr 27, 2005, 05:22 PM
Evolving Member

wHAT mileage did you replace them at??? Did they shake while you were doin like 70 or 80???
Old Apr 27, 2005, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

$650 for 2 piece rotors is a good deal! Nice writeup
Old Apr 27, 2005, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Have you tracked your car with those rotors yet? Would love to hear your impressions.
Old Apr 27, 2005, 07:00 PM
KK
EvoM Administrator

The car had 12,500 miles or so when I swapped them out. The pads were nearly to the backing plate and the rotors were eaten up pretty good. The rotors shouldn't shake unless you don't properly bed the pads in with them. I had that issue the first day as I only broke lightly to wear the zinc away. After that I gave it 5-7 hard stops to get heat in the pads and make sure the material was evenly on the rotor and the shaking was gone.

I'd like to get the car to a track event to test these out ASAP, but I have to get it to pass smog before hand. My MD tags expire this month and I'm now in CA That most likely means pulling cams, test pipe, etc. After that's done, I'll get it to a local event to see how they do They have been doing a lot of Ferrari applications and get great reviews from those guys so hopefully the trend will continue with the Evo

Mark
Old Apr 27, 2005, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

the actual website . . . why are there ferodo pads for the evo 8, and then ferodo pads for the giro rear rotor?

does this mean we can't use other pads on the rear with this rotor?
Old Apr 27, 2005, 08:49 PM
KK
EvoM Administrator

You should be able to use other rear pads, but you'll have to file down the backing plate area that is straight in order to clear the hat.

Here's a shot that shows a stock rear pad vs the Ferodo pad for the Girodisc:

Stock pad shown just touching the floating assembly:

Ferodo / Girodisc rear pad shown clearing:

Mark
Old Apr 27, 2005, 09:50 PM
Evolved Member

Hmmm - that sucks having to modify brake pads to get it to work with these rotors
Old Apr 27, 2005, 10:17 PM
KK
EvoM Administrator

The pad modification only applies to the rear rotors and if you chose not to run the Ferodo/ Girodisc pads that will work without modifications.

Mark
Old Apr 27, 2005, 10:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KK
The pad modification only applies to the rear rotors and if you chose not to run the Ferodo/ Girodisc pads that will work without modifications.

Mark
Ah - gotchya. Thanks for the clarification.

Quick Reply: New Girodisc 2-PC Rotors Installed!