Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Ingalls Stiffy Review

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2005, 06:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Thoe99
Ok, I gave in and bought.

Got your order, thanks. The part will ship tonight.

Tai

3 more in stock.
http://www.corsportusa.com/store/cat...roducts_id=261
Old Dec 7, 2005, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by kmcconn9
I also have BR underhood shifter bushings, so I have never had a problem with a 2nd gear grind. But if you have a 2nd gear grind, and it is related to engine/tranny movement (which it probably is) then this should take care of it. Like I said I didnt have this exact problem so I cant say that it will 100% eliminate the problem...

You wont be dissapointed..
seems like alot of people are having second gear and tranny issues.. Evillusion just replaced his 2nd tranny and I think his car is only at 30k!!! Anyone else having these issues?

I think the e.t.d will definately help in the shifting department( that was one of the first things I noticed when I installed mine).
Old Dec 7, 2005, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by robstamina
seems like alot of people are having second gear and tranny issues.. Evillusion just replaced his 2nd tranny and I think his car is only at 30k!!! Anyone else having these issues?

I think the e.t.d will definately help in the shifting department( that was one of the first things I noticed when I installed mine).
I've heard that problem with a lot of others who had grinding issues. They replaced their tranny with another factory one and the problem returned. I'm hoping it's really the engine torque that's the main reason--makes sense.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 01:00 PM
Evolving Member

Just ordered one as well. Hopefully this removes this awful noise I am getting while letting the clutch out! Either way, sounds like it's 167$ well spent!
Old Dec 7, 2005, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by j-evo8
Just ordered one as well. Hopefully this removes this awful noise I am getting while letting the clutch out! Either way, sounds like it's 167$ well spent!

Got your order. Thanks, it will ship today.

Tai
Old Dec 7, 2005, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This is a review thread, I understand - can anyone help us understand how to adjust the ETD? I clearly don't have wrenches large enough, so for starters, what size wrenches are required?

The Ingall's instructions aren't as clear as they could be. All I really want to do is tighten it from stock. It's unclear where to start... ?

Thanks!
Old Dec 7, 2005, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by KazzEvo8
This is a review thread, I understand - can anyone help us understand how to adjust the ETD? I clearly don't have wrenches large enough, so for starters, what size wrenches are required?

The Ingall's instructions aren't as clear as they could be. All I really want to do is tighten it from stock. It's unclear where to start... ?

Thanks!
here's the link from the ingalls home page...hopefully this will help if not just simply call them.....1.800.641.9795ext23

http://www.ingallseng.com/graphics/W...0breakdown.pdf

the specific size open ended wrenchs you are going to us are a 27mm and a 24mm. They are the thin ones used for bicycle cranks. However you do not really need them if you have an adjustable wrench. Seriously call them!They have AWESOME cust. service and love dealing with this stuff......pm with your phone number and I can walk you through it....you will be amazed how smiple it is just make sure the shock itself is OFF the car before you try to do any sort of adjusting...

for adjusting dampening loosen the "locking jam nut" then adjust the "preload adjuusting plunger" to the "stiffness" you want and screw down the "locking jam nut"locking the damper into place.. smaller gap = stiffer, larger= looser. FYI the etd should fit the mounting bracket holes perfectly if not then you have to adjust the length using the "heim joint locking nut" if this doesn't help just call them....
Old Dec 7, 2005, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
After a complete day of use the only negative thing that I have noticed is a high pitched whining noise?? I would imagine that it was there to begin with, and the stiffness of the mount just amplifies it. Its nothing terrible, the evo already make so many da*n noises, this one just steps right into place basically..
Old Dec 7, 2005, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

ok, so I did some re-reading of this thread, and found that several other people are experiencing this whine as well. Can somebody comment on what exactly the noise is coming from?? Tai??
Old Dec 7, 2005, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by kmcconn9
After a complete day of use the only negative thing that I have noticed is a high pitched whining noise?? I would imagine that it was there to begin with, and the stiffness of the mount just amplifies it. Its nothing terrible, the evo already make so many da*n noises, this one just steps right into place basically..
sounds like it is tranfering noise to somewhere else on the car...did you dynamat the upper strut like everyone else? how old are your engine mounts? was it doing it before you installed it? Sounds like some loose suspension to me?
Old Dec 7, 2005, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

has anyone had their dampner make noise. Somethign is making a rattling noise under slight acceleration. Sounds like the spring inside the dampner is making noise. Mines only at about 13mm.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks - you're telling me essentially what I thought to be true. I posted this because it was a bit unclear but also I knew I had time because not a wrench in my garage will fit those 2 largest nuts!

Thanks again - that should do it!

here's the link from the ingalls home page...hopefully this will help if not just simply call them.....1.800.641.9795ext23

http://www.ingallseng.com/graphics/W...0breakdown.pdf

the specific size open ended wrenchs you are going to us are a 27mm and a 24mm. They are the thin ones used for bicycle cranks. However you do not really need them if you have an adjustable wrench. Seriously call them!They have AWESOME cust. service and love dealing with this stuff......pm with your phone number and I can walk you through it....you will be amazed how smiple it is just make sure the shock itself is OFF the car before you try to do any sort of adjusting...

for adjusting dampening loosen the "locking jam nut" then adjust the "preload adjuusting plunger" to the "stiffness" you want and screw down the "locking jam nut"locking the damper into place.. smaller gap = stiffer, larger= looser. FYI the etd should fit the mounting bracket holes perfectly if not then you have to adjust the length using the "heim joint locking nut" if this doesn't help just call them....
Old Dec 7, 2005, 10:22 PM
adx
Evolving Member

Couple days ago, we installed another Stiffy (Tai brought us 2) in a 9 MR. Again, the install was straightforward and clears the cam covers' little bubble (those with 9s will know the bubble). We didnt feel as big as a difference once we installed it, as we did with our 05 8. Before either was installed, we measured the gap and it was pre-set at 14mm. We believe the motor mounts might be stiffer.

Nonetheless, it cleans out the little bit of play in the shifter. We havent the time (snowing.. and cold) nor the 21mm wrench to adjust them. Hopefully... it will warm up.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 04:38 AM
Evolved Member

sounds like it is tranfering noise to somewhere else on the car...did you dynamat the upper strut like everyone else? how old are your engine mounts? was it doing it before you installed it? Sounds like some loose suspension to me?
-I put dynomat on the entire strut bar where it touched metal (both sides, and the center section). I did not put it on the actual strut housing for asthetic reasons.
-My car is a 2004 with 15000 miles, so its definatly not the engine mounts
-It was not doing this sound before the installation
-It could not be a loose suspension component because the suspension has NEVER been touched. Also like I said above, this noise was not there before the etd install...

It seems to me that the damper is transfering either a pre-existing noise that you couldnt hear because of the soft engine mounts in the evo, or this piece for some reason creates a noise..

It is almost impossible for it to be something wrong with the install or my "suspension" because 5 other people have had the same noise occur after the install...

I am going to call ingalls today and see what they have to say about it..
Old Dec 8, 2005, 05:28 AM
Evolved Member

If it's a vibration I'd check the mounts of the plates - both at the strut bar and at the chassis motor mount.

Quick Reply: Ingalls Stiffy Review