Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Ingalls Stiffy Review

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2005, 12:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Thoe99
Did you guys have problems fitting the nuts back in (where the strutbar connects with the firewall)? Cuz the damper brackets lifted up the strutbar on one end, thereby misaligning the nuts, due to the brackets being so thick. I didn't even try putting in dynomat yet.
Yeah that was a little tough, I got around it by starting those FIRST, then moving to the passenger side strut tower, then driver side. After installing the Stiffy bracket, and some rubber for dampening, there's not much thread left for the 2 nuts (heh heh) on the passenger-side strut tower to grab onto.
Old Dec 16, 2005, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so hows everyones engine dampner holding up? trying to get some feedback from people who had it for awhile.
Old Dec 16, 2005, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Killboy
Yeah that was a little tough, I got around it by starting those FIRST, then moving to the passenger side strut tower, then driver side. After installing the Stiffy bracket, and some rubber for dampening, there's not much thread left for the 2 nuts (heh heh) on the passenger-side strut tower to grab onto.
I did start with those first, they were reluctant to go in, and I almost stripped the hole.
Old Dec 16, 2005, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Derek888
so hows everyones engine dampner holding up? trying to get some feedback from people who had it for awhile.
You and me both. I'm trying to decide if the Powerflex mounts are more cost effective and achieve the same results as the "Stiffy." Has anyone switched from one to the other and noticed a difference?
Old Dec 16, 2005, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 8thWonder
You and me both. I'm trying to decide if the Powerflex mounts are more cost effective and achieve the same results as the "Stiffy." Has anyone switched from one to the other and noticed a difference?
im a bit worried that little shock would go out in a few months time
Old Dec 17, 2005, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 8thWonder
I'll be doing both ...
Old Dec 17, 2005, 11:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Derek888
im a bit worried that little shock would go out in a few months time
It's not a "shock" in the sense you are probably thinking of. There is no fluid in there to dampen. It's a rubber compound that is quite stiff but still flexible enough to let things move a little bit.

A fluid-filled damper of that size and proper strength would cost about $400 to manufacture.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 08:19 PM

OK I just put mine on today and I guess I should have taken it for a ride before so I could have a comparison. I really feel a difference but I will have to see tomorrow. My test drives were at 14mm. I have since taken it down to 11-12mm. I took it for a cruise around my subdivision to see what kind of vibration I had. Honestly I didn't notice any signifigant vibration but let me first say what I did.

I put dynamat extreme on BOTH sides of BOTH brackets. When I say "put on" I mean I completely covered both of the brackets with dynamat extreme. The only thing I did not do was the sides. The motor mount bracket went back on easily with this but it did make putting the strut tower bolts fun. What I did was first put all of the passenger strut tower bolts on but one (the one closest to the firewall). Then I went to the drivers side and put all three of those on fairly tight. Then went back to the passenger side and put the last bolt on. The thickness of the dynamat made it impossible to put that last bolt on without doing the bolts in this order. Then I put the two center bolts on and I was done. I'm not seeing hardly any vibration at all so all I can assume is that the dynamat is doing it's job. When I'm on the highway I could feel a little but that could be the advans heating up. They tend to be rough until I get a few miles on them. The real test will be tomorrow when i go to work as long as it doesn't snow. I'll update when I get some results. So far at 14mm I was very happy with it.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 06:43 AM

After driving in to work I can honestly say with it set at 11-12mm I felt zero vibration. dynamat extreme on both sides evidently did the trick. I'm glad too because I really did not want to put dynamat on the actual strut tower. I might give 10mm a try to see if it makes a difference. Very nice item, thanks again.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 08:44 AM

I also used "loc tite" on the strut threads so it wouldn't loosen.....
Old Dec 19, 2005, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by robstamina
I also used "loc tite" on the strut threads so it wouldn't loosen.....
Good idea. I installed a DC Sports titanium strut bar over the weekend, and it is half as thick as the stock strut bar right there, so there was much more thread for the nuts to grab on to.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 02:13 PM

Good idea. I installed a DC Sports titanium strut bar over the weekend, and it is half as thick as the stock strut bar right there, so there was much more thread for the nuts to grab on to.

Excellent.

Also, as an fyi, at metric supply store you can find shorter nuts as well.... this allowing for some of the thicker strut bar bracket designs.

Tai

Still have stock, click to buy now:
http://www.corsportusa.com/store/cat...roducts_id=261

Old Dec 21, 2005, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

I finally got the right tools today to install it. Based on 45min of driving (aka...first impression), set at 13, the device does what everyone has said--cut down on low rpm bucking and smoother shifts. This mod makes a bigger impression than the underhood bushings, which previously won my vote for best driveability mod. The damper goes further and adds improved function, rather than just feel. The shifting is so great now, that it feels like you rev match exactly every single time. Before, you would shift and if you weren't within 100rpms or less, you'd get this lashing after effect. It's eliminated now (not 100% completely) and you get clean shifts all the time with no bucking.

I agree with one of the above poster on why this wasn't included on the stock car. I haven't tried anything stiffer than 13 yet, but 13 is extremely civilized with no extra vibrations. I did however, notice a very slightly louder tune of the tranny awd whine. I'll continue this review when I set it to 10 or 11 tomorrow. 13 is still too weak for my tastes .
Old Dec 22, 2005, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Thoe99
I finally got the right tools today to install it. Based on 45min of driving (aka...first impression), set at 13, the device does what everyone has said--cut down on low rpm bucking and smoother shifts. This mod makes a bigger impression than the underhood bushings, which previously won my vote for best driveability mod. The damper goes further and adds improved function, rather than just feel. The shifting is so great now, that it feels like you rev match exactly every single time. Before, you would shift and if you weren't within 100rpms or less, you'd get this lashing after effect. It's eliminated now (not 100% completely) and you get clean shifts all the time with no bucking.

I agree with one of the above poster on why this wasn't included on the stock car. I haven't tried anything stiffer than 13 yet, but 13 is extremely civilized with no extra vibrations. I did however, notice a very slightly louder tune of the tranny awd whine. I'll continue this review when I set it to 10 or 11 tomorrow. 13 is still too weak for my tastes .
great write up!!! Definately "crank it down" for the stiffest setting to get all the performance out of it....still will transfer some more resonation but if your more performance minded it is a positive trade off... dynamating, poly o rings, and loc tite for the threads are all things you can do to enhance the quality of the damper in relation to resonation and performance...
Old Dec 23, 2005, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Now onto setting 11...

I like this setting, it's more raw and vibrates the steering wheel and the seat, basically the whole car, haha (nothing serious though). The car makes more noises too. I can almost definitely point it to something in the a/c system, cuz that's the exact noise I hear sometimes when I idle with the a/c on, only louder. It sounds irregular and only happens under 1000rpm's. The whine is more prominant now, but it's smooth, and sounds like a supercharger.

As for the drive, the shifting is incredibly butter smooth. I don't recall running into any notchiness with the shifts. It has completely eliminated that problem. Upon my 5 or so WOT's from first gear to 2nd, I hadn't ground a gear yet. I did grind 2nd once when my damper setting was at 13. Maybe it's a coincidence, or maybe this actually has affect on the grinding issue. The lashing/bucking effect improved a little better, but not significantly over setting 13. It really improved the low rpm bucking when you let off the gas though--what a godsend! I'm gonna order some motor mounts to compliment the damper once I get back from xmas vacation, cuz I wanna completely get rid of the bucking.

Quick Reply: Ingalls Stiffy Review