Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Ingalls Stiffy Review

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2006, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOONYOASS
I went to Home Depot, Lowes, and Ace Auto(Hardware). None of them have heard of the teflon washers. I had them search their inventory for anything teflon related and only sealer and teflon tape for plumbing pipes came up.

I bought some different o-rings and teflon valve packing rope. I will try to rig something up and see if it stops the rattle. Teflon rope is not the same as teflon tape, but used for packing valves so they won't leak. Its not as thin as the tape so I'm hoping it will work.
I also went to all those places, as well as Autozone, and they all claim not to have teflon or poly washers. Any other suggestions?
Old Jan 25, 2006, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Thoe99
I also went to all those places, as well as Autozone, and they all claim not to have teflon or poly washers. Any other suggestions?
this is one of the styles that you can get..

http://superior.thomasnet.com/ImgMe...LONWASHERSa.jpg

I will post some pics of the other styles. The kit I have on my etd I got from Home depot. I requested a kitchen sink o ring preferably in hard polyurethane, I showed the guy and he took me to the plumbing section that had everything under the sun.then I found the right diameter in the hardest bushing for like .50$.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 09:27 AM

Should We Include????

I am asking Ingalls to include the "thin open ended bike crank" wrenches that allow for etd dampning adjustment.. Would people like to see these added to the kit? Post up your feedback and I will look into getting them included.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 09:29 AM

Forgot to add the size wrench you use for Ingalls etd adjustment is going to be a 27mm and a 24mm thin open ended wrench. Using these will keep the etd from getting scratched up...You can use the adjustable stye but need to be careful..

Last edited by robstamina; Jan 25, 2006 at 09:31 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im interested in the bicycle wrenches
Old Jan 25, 2006, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by robstamina

I will post some pics of the other styles. The kit I have on my etd I got from Home depot. I requested a kitchen sink o ring preferably in hard polyurethane, I showed the guy and he took me to the plumbing section that had everything under the sun.then I found the right diameter in the hardest bushing for like .50$.
Dead link (inserted the "..." into the actual URL) but thanks for the info. I'll check the plumbing section next time I'm out that way.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 10:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by robstamina

Do you know what the diameter is, by any chance?
Old Jan 27, 2006, 05:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LanEvoDemon
did anyone start hearing a louder whining noise coming from the passenger side after install? maybe this was covered...? but after install, i noticed a louder whining noise, which i heard before. what is that noise anyway?
I dunno what your exact noise is, but I told my wife to shut the h&!! up about it, and my whine went away!

Just to update, I had the Stiffy installed with dynomat, seemed to be fine at the start, but the engine vibrations transferred to the cabin plus the whine that changes pitch with engine rpm either got worse over time, or I got more picky about it. The original reason for the Stiffy (in my case) was to improve high rpm shifting, seems I was getting locked out about 50% of the time on any shift at/above 7000 rpms (stock clutch). I started at 13, and adjusted it down to 10, because the shifting seemed to improve with the stiffer setting. But this adjustement was made prior to any increase in "perceived" noise/vibration. Either the dynomat all squished out from under the Stiffy bracket, or something similar happened and allowed for more transfer of the unwanted effects.

So I tried the front motor mount instead of the Stiffy. The cabin noises went away as well as any extra cabin vibration, but the high rpm shifting issues came back! Now, I'm running both the Stiffy (set at 13) and motor mount. I used a thin sheet gasket material (similar to what you'd use in coolant or oil service) sandwiched between the strut tower and Stiffy bracket, and then again above the Stiffy bracket and strut bar (i.e. two pieces). Shifting is much improved again, but with the different gasket material I'm now using, the cabin vibrations and noise are much more tolerable. Actually, I haven't noticed any noise, just vibration at idle.

This combo is working well for me.

My car is at 45K miles, so it's a little on the high mileage side for what it's worth.

Last edited by dubbleugly01; Jan 27, 2006 at 05:49 AM.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Which motor mount did you get, buschur or powerflex?
Old Jan 27, 2006, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Which motor mount did you get, buschur or powerflex?
powerflex
Old Jan 27, 2006, 11:07 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Don't Dynamat in between the brackets, you are sacrificing the rigidity of the two mounting surfaces. Neatly cover the strut tower area surrounding the brackets and you will hear nothing. Top it off with the nylon/teflon washers where the original rubber o-rings were intended to go and you will prevent chances of rattling from the Heim joints to the brackets as well.
Old Jan 30, 2006, 03:28 PM

I bumped up my idle a couple 100 rpms and got rid of the vibration at idling...replace the rubber o rings. The o ring diameter is 15 mm and is 2.5mm thick..Love those digital calipers...Go and find the harder polymer styles from home depot is what I suggest..
Old Jan 30, 2006, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by mitsuorder
Don't Dynamat in between the brackets, you are sacrificing the rigidity of the two mounting surfaces. Neatly cover the strut tower area surrounding the brackets and you will hear nothing. Top it off with the nylon/teflon washers where the original rubber o-rings were intended to go and you will prevent chances of rattling from the Heim joints to the brackets as well.
+1 very helpful and informative post from mitsuorder! Dynamat the outside. I tried it on the inside of the bracket and I think I just wore it out over the week I had it on.. I tried the outside of the bracket like mitsuorder suggest and it works better..
Old Jan 30, 2006, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

I couldn't see how those supplied rubber o-rings would smash together with the other washers and nuts to cause those vibrations, being how thick they were. I also couldn't see how you would need any dynamat at all, since I torque those strut bolts down pretty tight. Maybe to decrease vibrations, but the noise? -- they logically didn't seem like they stemmed from there.

So I went to Home Depot and dug very deeply only to find those poly washers in a kit. I didn't wanna pay $3+ for one washer, so I grabbed a package of #10 rubber o-rings off their shelves in the plumbing aisle, similar to the ones that were supplied. I then installed those on the strut side of the heim joints and they immediately got rid of all the vibration noises I had--idle and cruising at 3000-4000rpm! Those heim joints are the ones that are causing all this unncessary clanking. Put rubber or poly o-ring washers immediately over them, and they'll completely go away.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 03:12 PM

I couldn't see how those supplied rubber o-rings would smash together with the other washers and nuts to cause those vibrations, being how thick they were. I also couldn't see how you would need any dynamat at all, since I torque those strut bolts down pretty tight. Maybe to decrease vibrations, but the noise? -- they logically didn't seem like they stemmed from there.

So I went to Home Depot and dug very deeply only to find those poly washers in a kit. I didn't wanna pay $3+ for one washer, so I grabbed a package of #10 rubber o-rings off their shelves in the plumbing aisle, similar to the ones that were supplied. I then installed those on the strut side of the heim joints and they immediately got rid of all the vibration noises I had--idle and cruising at 3000-4000rpm! Those heim joints are the ones that are causing all this unncessary clanking. Put rubber or poly o-ring washers immediately over them, and they'll completely go away.

Yeah dynomat for vibarations but it will help to transfer less noise too..

The o rings can get smashed I've seen. People need to use the factory specs to torque these things down to the strut bolts and motor mount bracket ....

Quick Reply: Ingalls Stiffy Review