Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Ingalls Stiffy Review

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2005, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
Is this actually an oil-filled dampner, or does it just have an internal metallic or elastomer spring? I remember when the Weapon-R "dampner" came out people bashed it because it was not a true dampner, it just put spring tension on the engine. It's a great looking piece! Just trying to get as much info before I buy. Thanks!

EVOlutionary
It just uses an elastomer spring. It is a special elastomer spring shape and material. It only returns about 1/2 of the energy that you put into it, so it is also working as a "dampener". There were some problems with other elastomeric based units on the market, so Ingalls did extensive testing to make sure these would hold up. Also, oil filled units need to be mounted vertically for these high frequency applications - the seals do not hold up to the abuse. Ingalls continues to evaluate many different technologies to make this product better. Ingalls feel that the elastomeric spring provides the best performance with the highest reliability.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by KazzEvo8
What are the recommendations for an otherwise stock engine/tranny mount hardware installation? Should motor mounts/inserts be done AS WELL?

If we do nothing but the dampener are we putting more stress in other areas such as stock mounts or other bushings anywhere? I suspect we can't just stiffen up one spot without altering how loads and stresses are distributed elsewhere in the driveline/mount geometry... ?
I had the same question and this is a email from Ingalls eng.....

For high performance applications, Ingalls suggest using motor mount inserts on the other motor mount locations. The car will have more cabin vibration with the increased stiffiness. It seems like increasing the stiffness just where the ETD is mounted will cause increased deflection or loading in other areas. However, it is important to remember that most of the work being done by the ETD is under dynamic - not static conditions. Under constant acceleration, the ETD isn't doing that much. It provides increased stiffness and dampening for peak load events like launching, shifting, etc. Because of the large mass of the motor and the short duration of these events, the motor doesn't have time to twist abnormally before it moves back the other direction.
If the other motor mounts are worn, they should be replaced. If the vehicle is driven hard, motor mount inserts should be used on the other mounts.
The only time Ingalls has seen accelerated failure of the motor mount is when the ETD is not adjusted correctly. It should mounted so that the bracket holes line up with the ETD holes at rest ... otherwise, it will over stress the nearest motor mount. Benefits of ETD vs. Inserts....... (different mount location = better leverage, more benefit for less vibration, etc.) Lengthy answer but I hope it helped....

I have my etd with motor mounts and notice a big difference. The motor mounts are just hard/costly to put in....
Old Nov 14, 2005, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by robstamina
It just uses an elastomer spring. It is a special elastomer spring shape and material. It only returns about 1/2 of the energy that you put into it, so it is also working as a "dampener". There were some problems with other elastomeric based units on the market, so Ingalls did extensive testing to make sure these would hold up. Also, oil filled units need to be mounted vertically for these high frequency applications - the seals do not hold up to the abuse. Ingalls continues to evaluate many different technologies to make this product better. Ingalls feel that the elastomeric spring provides the best performance with the highest reliability.
Great, that is the type of info I was looking for.

I have my etd with motor mounts and notice a big difference. The motor mounts are just hard/costly to put in....
What brand motor mounts do you have? Are they full replacements or just the inserts like Buschur is working on? Thanks!

EVOlutionary
Old Nov 14, 2005, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Well, I just bit the bullet and ordered one. I hope it helps the "lunging/lurching" that I get in 1st and 2nd gear.

Motor mount inserts? Where are you guys getting these?
Old Nov 14, 2005, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Evillusion
Well, I just bit the bullet and ordered one. I hope it helps the "lunging/lurching" that I get in 1st and 2nd gear.

Motor mount inserts? Where are you guys getting these?
I should of made this clear... I have the energy suspension motor mounts and the etd on my scca project civic. There are not any out yet for the evo from what I understand.(anyone know where to get them?) The evo project has just the stiffy on it. And yes it definately helps in 2nd and 3rd. How well just depends on what stiffness you set the etd on...IMO med for daily driving and hard for weekend racing is the best setup... I will try to post some video of the b4 and after of the stiffy when I get a chance.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

I should of made this clear... I have the energy suspension motor mounts and the etd on my scca project civic. There are not any out yet for the evo from what I understand.(anyone know where to get them?) The evo project has just the stiffy on it. And yes it definately helps in 2nd and 3rd. How well just depends on what stiffness you set the etd on...IMO med for daily driving and hard for weekend racing is the best setup... I will try to post some video of the b4 and after of the stiffy when I get a chance.
Thanks
Old Nov 14, 2005, 02:27 PM

hey was just wondering, what would happen if you replaced the damper with a rod so that it didn't move at all?
Old Nov 14, 2005, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Void
hey was just wondering, what would happen if you replaced the damper with a rod so that it didn't move at all?
Because those vibrations will just go somewhere else. Just like with the dampner, the stiffer you go, the more vibration you feel in the cabin, the dampner gives you some flex, and this particular one gives you adjustability. Read the review on the home page.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 02:49 PM
Account Disabled

Anyone use the Pic ETD http://picperformance.com/store/scri...?idCategory=44
Old Nov 14, 2005, 03:01 PM

Great info everyone. Thanks again for all the orders again today everyone...

Evillusion --- You WILL notice a difference.

Tai
www.CorSportUSA.com
Old Nov 14, 2005, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Void
how can I put this.......
vibrations to the point that your teeth would chatter and would be undriveable and unbearable.. In the "old days" drag racers would chain off the engine with various results. I wouldn't recommend using a solid rod cause it is not "taking up" the vibrations (it would only make it way worse.) You would probably blow out the eng. mounts over time.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

how can I put this.......
vibrations to the point that your teeth would chatter and would be undriveable and unbearable.. In the "old days" drag racers would chain off the engine with various results. I wouldn't recommend using a solid rod cause it is not "taking up" the vibrations (it would only make it way worse.) You would probably blow out the eng. mounts over time.
Well, the mounting plates or brackets would probably break in like a minute or so of use.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Evillusion
Well, the mounting plates or brackets would probably break in like a minute or so of use.
Yeah, a solid bar doesn't sound to fun.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 06:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CorSport
( There is a special price for evolutionm.net members, just mention it when you call or pm us --- https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...0&goto=newpost )

Availability, --- it is currently immediately available and will ship the same day it is ordered. Buy now here: http://www.corsportusa.com/store/cat...roducts_id=261

It will absolutely help those motor mount inserts do the best job they can.

I drive it daily, full hard, no complaints here, I love it. Shifting lurch and wheel hop on launch is eliminated. I also track the car regularly, I have had NO issues what so ever. Ingalls tests these things till they WONT fail.

Tai
CorSportUSA.com

can you PM me the Evom member discount...thanks!
Old Nov 14, 2005, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by djskyy
can you PM me the Evom member discount...thanks!

PM's sent.

Tai
www.CorSportUSA.com

Quick Reply: Ingalls Stiffy Review