Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Forge Motorsport BCDK - Brake Cooling Duct Kit

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2006, 05:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forge: In the instructions, there is no torque number for the new caliper bolts. I find that very suprising as that huge 1/2" bushing could have significant thermal expansion that could break the bolt if too tight or it could become loose when returning to cold. Could you please ask your engineers to do some math and provide a proper torque number to use with your bolts and the huge bushing. I would not worry about if it was a washer, but this thing is 1/2" if not bigger. I'm sure it is different from the stock bolt torque numbers. "getting it tight" as an answer I just don't find very reasuring.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 17, 2006, 06:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nubby
Temperature indicating rotor paint:

http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?fo...action=product
No need to buy that, our Brembo calipers are already painted with temperature-indicating paint: when they turn from red to brown, your brakes got too hot. I know cause I just got this temperature "indication" at Watkins Glen.

Seriously, the stock Evo brake setup is totally inadequate, from a cooling standpoint, for fast tracks like Watkins Glen. I'm going to install some sort of brake duct solution before I go out on the track again.
Old Jul 29, 2006, 01:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mike@Forge
Myself and Warrtalon with both be doing some measuring of rotor temperatures with and without the ducting installed in order to gauge the actual performance (read: cooling) benefits of the ducting under varying conditions.

We will post our data as soon as possible.
Its been a few months...any data on how well this kit works?
Old Aug 1, 2006, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Warrtalon -

I am running a Redline Time Attack event this weekend at the Shenadoah Circuit at Summitt Point Raceway and badly need some sort of brake cooling system.

I am considering the Forge system as well as Mitsus.

Forge's kit looks all well and good but, Mitsu's looks like it would work quite well as well. If you notice on the bottom of the plastic under tray there are areas that specifically direct air towards the brake and more specifically towards the area where their brake cooling system would be installed.

What were your findings reg. the Forge system? How effective were they?
Old Aug 2, 2006, 04:25 AM
Evolving Member

The biggest improvement to our brakes can be found by 1. adding brake ducts, 2. changing the pads (obviously) and 3. swapping it out the fluid.

Since '03, I have been looking for the right combination of parts - and for my type of driving w/SCCA - the brake ducts are invaulable. During the 25 lap sessions, the brakes never faded, never overheated, and never got soft.

Maybe the Mitsu brake fins work for some light track work, but for continuous hammering - I would choose the ducts.

In my '03 - I would smoke my brakes so bad, the red caliper paint turned dark crimson and the white brembo a dark brown. I put a set of ducts on my IX before the season, and my calipers are still bright, shiney red - and this is after 7 events and 1 hillclimb. So, they definitely aren't overheating. And I am using a more agressive pad.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 04:52 AM
Evolving Member

evo8dad, stay away from the Mitsu brake cooling kit. It won't cool your brakes enough for competition use. I have a customer that we tried that kit on, and we "Brownbo'd" the calipers in one 20 minute session at Grattan. The Forge kit is much better for Time Attack use.

BTW - stop by this weekend, I will be fielding a Porsche 944 Turbo at the Time Attack

Darin
Old Aug 2, 2006, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Darin, I have heard two different sides on the issue. Some guys have told me that the Mitsu kit works just as good as the Forge kit, plus it is less intrusive as the Forge kit with regards to all the plumbing.

The Mitsu kit appears to work in conjuction with the underside of the undertray as there are channels in the undertray to channel air towards the air guides of the Mitsu kit.

I unforntunetly am pretty tight on money at the moment as I just bought a set of front slotted rotors so I think I am going to be running without any additional cooling for the brakes this weekend

My calipers are already browned and have been so for awhile, since my first track day 3 years ago

What class are you running this weekend. I am running street (look for the silver Evolution pulling a trailer full of tires )

Adam
Old Aug 2, 2006, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Adam,

the Mitsu flaps are ok - better then nothing

I would expect the Forge Ducts work considerably better - I'm interested in the Forge, but I need to find a way to cut into my IX bumper

See ya on the 13th
Old Aug 2, 2006, 08:44 AM
Evolving Member

Adam we are running in Unlimited RWD class. Stop by, you can find us easy. I'll have a butt ugly 28' enclosed trailer and a ratty canopy set up next to it!! I might even put a DJT sticker on the car! So far no graphics on the car, going stealth.

See you there.

Darin
Old Aug 2, 2006, 09:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by meanmud
I would expect the Forge Ducts work considerably better - I'm interested in the Forge, but I need to find a way to cut into my IX bumper

Take a look at the pictures I posted on Page 9 of this thread. That should help
Old Aug 2, 2006, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Adam, I wish I had empirical evidence, but I don't have that yet. I do have subjective evidence with how hard I drive and how fast I've been on the STOCK BRAKES (only upgraded fluid). I have put down some very fast lap times that beat all but 1-2 cars at my NASA events. Most of the cars that are somewhat equivalent (turbo'd S14, STI, GSX, 911) I beat by 5-6s even on my street tires. I do this with constant threshold braking at the last possible second, and although the stock brakes have held me back, they have apparently held up better than expected when driving like this. IT was Paul Gerrard himself who said he was very surprised I was able to drive the way I do and get the times I do on the stock brakes, which led him to believe that the Forge BDCK was actually helping a good bit.

I know that's not scientific, but it's at least an indication...

Meanmud, you don't have to do any cutting or modification to the bumper. Review my install thread for all the pics...
Old Aug 2, 2006, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks guys - just ordered them!

a few weeks back ordered
Old Aug 2, 2006, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Adam, I wish I had empirical evidence, but I don't have that yet. I do have subjective evidence with how hard I drive and how fast I've been on the STOCK BRAKES (only upgraded fluid). I have put down some very fast lap times that beat all but 1-2 cars at my NASA events. Most of the cars that are somewhat equivalent (turbo'd S14, STI, GSX, 911) I beat by 5-6s even on my street tires. I do this with constant threshold braking at the last possible second, and although the stock brakes have held me back, they have apparently held up better than expected when driving like this. IT was Paul Gerrard himself who said he was very surprised I was able to drive the way I do and get the times I do on the stock brakes, which led him to believe that the Forge BDCK was actually helping a good bit.

I know that's not scientific, but it's at least an indication...

Meanmud, you don't have to do any cutting or modification to the bumper. Review my install thread for all the pics...
Thanks for the info. I too have been one of the fastest at HPDE, PDA, FATT and NASA events driving similar to you. I have really stretched the boundaries of threshold braking in the Evolution (per a few instructors, one in fact who was racing an Evolution in T2) on essentially stock brakes.

I now run Ferrodo DS2500 pads, Goodridge SS lines and ATE Super Blue. I will have a pair of Powerslot front slotted rotors in time for the time attack and possibly, HOPEFULLY, some sort of cooling system place. Due to the price tag and wait period, I will not be getting the Forge kit. I probably will end up with the Mitsu kit.

Meanmud, see ya on the 13th. Funny enough, I just ran a FATT at the Shenadoah circuit with Cloud IX (Craig). He was running in 1a were as I was running solo in 1b and 2 but, it was funny to meet him at a track in WVA of all places.

Darin - Sounds like you'll be easy to find
Old Aug 2, 2006, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I now have Hawk HP+ and SuperBlue with Slotted rotors and Teknafit SS lines on the way. All that with the BDCK should help a lot. So far, with just the better pads and fluid, it was a very noticable increase in stopping power and reduction in fade.

Was your instructor Marty Grand or CJ perhaps? Both are buddies of mine from when I ran DSMCA. They both got their IXs after I took my first trip to Summit in the 05 MR. I told them how awesome it was, and they took it one step further by getting IXs and entering T2...sheesh!
Old Aug 2, 2006, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

I believe the one was CJ. Talk about money huh? Buying a IX and then T2ing it I would love to run T2 but, the money at the moment as well as 2 young kids plus the wife are holding me back. I do eventually plan on running a dedictated Evolution in a race series, although that will be later down the line.

Quick Reply: Forge Motorsport BCDK - Brake Cooling Duct Kit