Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Forge Motorsport BCDK - Brake Cooling Duct Kit

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2005, 12:07 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks great, for track days its going to be awesome
Old Nov 24, 2005, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is reasoning behind having that thick spacer and longer caliper mounting bolts?
Old Nov 24, 2005, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by marksae
What is reasoning behind having that thick spacer and longer caliper mounting bolts?
It's there to provide uniform pressure accross the entire surface area of the mounting tabs to keep the units mounted securely. It's also because these length bolts can be sourced cheaper because they are a standard length bolt that's readily available versus having a more expensive specific length bolt custom made for this application.

There are zero clearance issues because of their length, however!
Old Nov 24, 2005, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

Cool. I just placed my order for these along w/ the polyurethane motor mount.
Old Dec 1, 2005, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Ok, here's an update....

.....the actual ducts are in production right now and I'm having 20 sets/kits made up initially and we've added some reinforcement gussets to the units to aid in their durability, but we're still trying to sort out the ducting itself.

We're looking at multiple options from multiple maufacturers in the UK and the US, but we're having a tough time settling on a specific kind of ducting from the dozens of available options.

- We can use a high temp. single ply that's really flexible, but it's thin so it may wear out too quickly.
- We can use a high temp. double ply, but it's twice the price, heavier, and is much less flexible.
- We can use a lower temp single or double ply that's cheaper, but it might not last as long as the higher temp ducting.
- We can use a highly flexible, highly temperature resistant double ply metallic duct, but it will add at least another $100 to the cost of the kit.

We're trying to find a happy medium without increasing the cost of the kits too much, but we expect the price to climb just a little over the $200 mark anyway.

We're working on it as quickly as possible, though, but I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Old Dec 1, 2005, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
use the orange stuff... they use it on f1 cars.... can't be bad.
Old Dec 1, 2005, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

One manufacturer here in the US, whom I have contacted concerning this project specifically, has over 20 different types of ducting that is available in the same red oxide (orange) color.
Old Dec 1, 2005, 04:41 PM
Evolving Member

got impulsive & went ahead & placed an order on the website. now im really looking forward to seeing the finished product
Old Dec 1, 2005, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

I would rather pay more for a duct that won't wear out and I won't have to mess with. I am guessing that most people in the market for these feel the same way.
Old Dec 1, 2005, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dsevo
I would rather pay more for a duct that won't wear out and I won't have to mess with. I am guessing that most people in the market for these feel the same way.
Yes!
Old Dec 1, 2005, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

I understand completely, but again, it's now a matter of finding the appropriate ducting for the application at the right price. At this point, everyone should expect that the price WILL go above $200. My initial guess is about $225 or so.

Since my last post, however, we've narrowed our decision down, so we should finalize things sometime early next week and have the duct kits start trickling in from the UK in another 1-2 weeks! I'll be sure to let everyone know ALL of the specs on the ducting we select!
Old Dec 1, 2005, 07:52 PM
Taz
Evolving Member

Neoprene is cheaper and also works (300F), instead of the silicone (orange) duct. Try to opt for one that's lined on the inside (two ply), more durable since the reinforcing steel wire won't come loose as easily.

Old Dec 1, 2005, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the update. I still intend to go a small step further and install ducted fans. They're only about $12 and voltage will have to be halved, but I believe they may move enough air after a hard run to cool the entire rotor evenly and minimize warping due to temperature differences between the caliper and open rotor area. Worth a shot!
Old Dec 1, 2005, 08:17 PM
JTB
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Killboy
Thanks for the update. I still intend to go a small step further and install ducted fans. They're only about $12 and voltage will have to be halved, but I believe they may move enough air after a hard run to cool the entire rotor evenly and minimize warping due to temperature differences between the caliper and open rotor area. Worth a shot!
The fans might work assuming they are only going to be installed for track days. I don't think they will last very long on a daily driver.
Old Dec 1, 2005, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

Pls. PM me pricing as soon as you have your ducting worked out... looks good.

--
Shopping current to-buy list:
-CF drive shaft
-Lower I/C pipe
-Revolver cams
-Froge brake ducts
-No, I don't know how I'll afford them all.

Quick Reply: Forge Motorsport BCDK - Brake Cooling Duct Kit