Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Megan Racing Exhaust: Broken Bracket & Cracked Pipe

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2006, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Megan Racing Exhaust: Broken Bracket & Cracked Pipe

If you have had a problem with your Megan Racing exhaust hanger bracket breaking and the pipe cracking, please answer this post. I have heard from a few people that this has happend to and would like to hear from you if you are one of them. If there are enough people with the problem I am thinking that we can convince Megan Racing to redesign the bracket and fix the problem. If this has happend to you, please reply to this post with a description of the problem and pictures of the breakage.
Attached Thumbnails Megan Racing Exhaust: Broken Bracket & Cracked Pipe-megan-evo-8-exhaust-break-2.jpg  
Old Jan 21, 2006, 07:16 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The bracket has been redisigned for quite some time. If you purchased your unit within the last year, they stock this pipe with the new bracket for FREE replacement. Anyone that purchased the units from me, I will contact Megan for you and have a new pipe shipped free. So far only one unit of ours has had this happen to.

Thread Closed.

Last edited by TTP Engineering; Jan 21, 2006 at 07:24 AM.
Old Jan 21, 2006, 10:00 AM
Former Sponsor

We've repaired several Megan exhausts...I'd say at least 5 cracks at that rear hanger.

Hate to say it, but we don't sell any Megan stuff because it has proven time and time again to be crap. The DP's don't sit flush with the O2 housing, they also hit the oil pan and sometimes the tranfer, and their exhausts crack...and sound like ****.
Old Jan 21, 2006, 11:08 AM
Account Disabled

Hate to say it, but we don't sell any Megan stuff because it has proven time and time again to be crap. The DP's don't sit flush with the O2 housing, they also hit the oil pan and sometimes the tranfer, and their exhausts crack...and sound like ****.
That is such a joke. Warrtalon uses it, I use it to over 400whp on the stock turbo. Tons of others use it. Megan R&D and service is second to none. It almost seems that there is some underlying animosity towards warrtalon's sponsor TSF, since they sell it and they are in your local competing market area.

These untruths belong in THIS THREAD with the rest of the disproven LIES from Al.

This is the best sounding exhaust I have yet to hear on an Evo and we sell them ALL!
Old Jan 21, 2006, 11:46 AM
Former Sponsor

Dude, I really could care less about Warrtalon's opinion...or what Marty sells.

I am speaking from experience of products that have come into our shop. Everything Megan has been of poor quality, and we've had several customers come back with issues with Megan stuff.

Take it as you want, I'm just letting people know our experiences. We try and help people by using various parts and giving our impressions, and Megan has yet to impress.

You, Al, Marty, whomever...sell whatever you want. It's your call. We have never had a good experience with Megan. Marty can sell all he wants...cuz we won't sell that crap. Megan is the one brand I tell people to avoid.

Cory

Last edited by AMSTuning.com; Jan 21, 2006 at 11:50 AM.
Old Jan 21, 2006, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Now, this is an ironic interaction here. TTP and I don't get along too well, but we share a lot of the same beliefs about certain products. At the same time, I am a big fan of Atlantic Motorsports, because they are a great vendor sponsor for our local club and have even helped me. When I last visited them to get my spare set of stock exhaust parts in preparation for the porting/coating, we had a short discussion about how they've had a lot of bad experiences with Megan parts. I believe that they had these problems, and I'm sure they had these problems before I was even doing much in the community and before TSF was doing my packages, so I think AMS's comments here are unrelated to our local "competition."

There are some Megan parts I'm not so sure of and that I don't necessarily tell people to use/buy, but I'm quite confident in the exhaust, especially the one with the new hanger. We have lots of happy customers, and I am not sure about the whole sound issue. That's mostly subjective, but I know the Megan has a nice, deep, throaty rumble, which sounds really nice to me.
Old Jan 21, 2006, 03:11 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Megan is not attempting, but HAS addressed the above "cracking" issue... I had one of my customers with a similar issue, and they were taken care of by Megan. They back their products with an adhered to replacement warranty. The comment about the "sound", sounds much like a lot of the comments coming from various vendors feeling the "sting" from the bite Megan is taking out of the Evo exhaust market.

Last edited by Zeus; Jan 21, 2006 at 03:15 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2006, 03:51 PM
Former Sponsor

You all seem to think this is something personal...The sting? WTF does that mean? Customers are welcome to purchase any brand they want. We'll sell them whatever they choose, or they're welcome to bring it in to have installed. But there's not a single brand we've had nearly as many issues with as we ahve with Megan. When asked for comments, I have nothing good to say about Megan...well, other than it's cheap, but I guess that shows in the quality, or lack there of.

The sting, That's actually funny.
Old Jan 21, 2006, 04:06 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It was not personal Cory... if you don't market your "own" exhaust line, it must not apply. However, Megan can't seem to keep them in stock, customer reviews are enough to keep them sold out. Something must be right about them
Old Jan 21, 2006, 04:42 PM
Evolving Member

I bought the Megan Tb in a gb from Zeus. Prior to purchase I was a little worried as I'd heard some not so good things about them being cheaply made. This was supposed to be a version 2 that had addressed some short comings from the previous version. In then end I figured it was such a good price I'd give it a try. If it didn't work out it's not like it was going to break me. Atlantic Motorsport did the install for me. At first everythig was great I really liked (and still do) the sound. Then after a couple months it got much louder and I started getting a bad exhaust smell inside the car. Turns out the dp was leaking at the flange where it bolts to the o2 housing. Took it back to Ams, they replaced the bolts and it was better. Went to another shop about 3 months later to have my clutch replaced and they noticed a leak at the dp again. They tightened it back up again. This time I could tell something still was not quite right. Went back to AMS and had them take the dp completely off. Turns out the flange on the dp was warped to the point that it was impossible for it not to leak. Swaped it out for a DCsport dp and haven't had any problems since. I was probably unlucky as I haven't heard of anyone else from the gb I was part of or the one after that having that problem. If I had it to do over again I'd probably buy it again.

Last edited by 04WWRS; Jan 21, 2006 at 04:46 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2006, 05:05 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by AMSTuning.com
We've repaired several Megan exhausts...I'd say at least 5 cracks at that rear hanger.

When it comes to various products there is a variety of opinion on them - it is good to hear this perspective and it is heard with respect as you are a top notch shop
Old Jan 21, 2006, 05:29 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Zeus
It was not personal Cory... if you don't market your "own" exhaust line, it must not apply. However, Megan can't seem to keep them in stock, customer reviews are enough to keep them sold out. Something must be right about them
I think the #1 "right" thing is the ultra cheap price

Low price and high sales does not = a great product

BTW - I have never seen a megan unit crack , break or any problems what so ever and my customers seem to love them
PS - it certainly seems to make great power based uppn what we made on the dyno with Warrtalon's car

Last edited by DynoFlash; Jan 21, 2006 at 05:31 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2006, 05:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DynoFlash

BTW - I have never seen a megan unit crack , break or any problems what so ever and my customers seem to love them
PS - it certainly seems to make great power based uppn what we made on the dyno with Warrtalon's car
Yes you have, you just didn't know it. The first base flash you did on my car you pointed out the exhaust leak at the dp. I already knew about it at that time but didn't have time to fix it before you got to town.
Old Jan 21, 2006, 08:29 PM
Account Disabled

Sounds like "potentially" an improper installation, lack of required donut gasket, use of improper spring bolts instead of required and provided hardware from Megan. Any of these could cause the issue described.

These units are robotic tig welded and I have a hard time believing ONE unit fits different than the rest.

I think we have heard enough non factual and prejudice remarks against the "taiwan pos" units from Al already, who has but one experience with a Megan unit. That same unit Al boasts about at "creating more power than any other car he has tuned for the mods."

In the slight chance that the unit "PROVED" defective, Megan would have replaced the unit, no questions asked and likely allowed the customer to keep the old one too. That is how they roll.

If Megan products were half as bad as claimed in this thread, you would not see the type of feedback Zeus and I currently posess.

They work, they are proven, they are less expensive than most (when did inexpensive= poor quality?), It is the value of the Taiwan currency that makes it cheaper, not because it is inferior. (FACT)

Many use it from Zeus, to TTP, to Warrtalon and many others ~ without issues.
Old Jan 21, 2006, 09:16 PM
Account Disabled

[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
I think we have heard enough non factual and prejudice remarks against the "taiwan pos" units from Al already, who has but one experience with a Megan unit. That same unit Al boasts about at "creating more power than any other car he has tuned for the mods."

QUOTE]
TTP - chill man

I did not say anything bad about Megan above - I actually was saying that I heard no problems and it seemed to work OK

Please don't drag me into this

Quick Reply: Megan Racing Exhaust: Broken Bracket & Cracked Pipe