Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Exedy 4-puck Cerametallic Single Disk review

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2006, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exedy 4-puck Cerametallic Single Disk review

Review: Exedy Stg2 4-puck Cerametallic Single Disk

Last edited by Warrtalon; Sep 29, 2006 at 04:25 PM.
Old May 1, 2006, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
since u do alot of drag racing, why didn't u go with the Exedy twin disk instead? or an ATS twin plate carbon? i know three EVOM members cutting back 2 back 1.6 60's on those clutches. they ran 12.1 & 12.2 in EVO9's & the other guy ran 12.3 in an EVO8 RS all trapping between 111-113 in AZ.

just curious as to your choice. being sponsored i figured u would go with the best drag clutch u can get & due to the low clamping force of single disk clutches it seems strange that u chose that option.

have u thought of sending your T/C in for a little Shep cryo treatment??
Old May 1, 2006, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

Goodness gracious, you never quit with that stuff. Why would I buy an ATS twin carbon? Why would I send my T/C for cryo treatment? Do you realize how much that stuff costs? I don't need those things to hit 1.6s. I did 1.71 with the stocker and did lots of 1.6s with the ACT. You're telling me about guys who ran 12.1-12.3 trapping 111-113, but I just ran a 12.3 with a 108mph trap at 6000' of altitude on this 4-puck. I also ran 12.2 @ 111 on the stock clutch, so I don't see those guys performing any better than I despite their expensive clutches. Do you?

I will be using an Exedy Twin later after testing this 4-puck, so don't worry about that. I am seeing if there is a good single disk that costs less than $1000 for people who don't want to spend $1500 on a twin.

Last edited by Warrtalon; May 1, 2006 at 07:23 PM.
Old May 2, 2006, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Warr,

I had an unsprung 6 puck on my Honda and it was a ***** to drive in DC traffic. Knowing that im in the DC area how streetable is that clutch compared to the Twin Disk. I never stall out in the Twin Disk and it feels almost like stock. The 4 puck probably would blow in traffic even though it us sprung huh?
Old May 2, 2006, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by housedj
have u thought of sending your T/C in for a little Shep cryo treatment??
There is no guarantee that cryotreating will have a beneficial impact on an alloy that was not designed for cryotreating. Cryotreating the T/C is just as likely to make it break more easily as it is to make it stronger.
Old May 2, 2006, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Testudo, it is likely that the 4-puck would be tough in DC traffic. I don't have to deal with that anymore, though, hah. I drive in traffic here every morning, but it's not stop'n'go other than stoplights, and it's no problem.

This is sprung unlike your Honda one, but still very grabby. I haven't driven a Twin Disk yet, but I know it's awesome. I will use that next, but for now this is a cheaper single disk alternative.
Old May 2, 2006, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
I then drove the next few weeks and found the clutch to break in further as the starting in reverse became no problem at all as did the shifting and downshifting. The only slightly difficult part is starting from a stop without a little jerking. I just have to get the revs up higher than usual so that it can slip off to a smooth start, but it's worth it for the racing performance.

I have the spec sheet for the 4-puck vs the Hyper Single and stock Evo clutches, but it's too large too attach and is a PDF that can't be loaded to Photobucket. Here's the typed numbers, though:

Clutch---------------------OEM-----Hyper Single------4-puck
Clamp (lbs)---------------2093--------3010------------3010
Road Race (max wtq)---250-----------374-------------432
Drag (max wtq)----------201-----------297-------------347
Sounds like how my full circle organic disk felt on my previous car with an abused flywheel. I thought I could live with it, but I eventually got tired of it. I'm not as performance oriented as you though.

Just wondering what you mean by wtq. Usually clutches are rated by engine torque holding capacity.
Old May 2, 2006, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea Clay im going to definatly keep in contact with you about this 4 punk as I will need a new clutch soon. 40K miles on it and its starting to slip on the launches.
Old May 2, 2006, 07:50 AM
Evolving Member

I also am very interested to know about the streetability of this clutch. I am starting my research for a new one later in the year. I do autocross and I go to the drag strip a few time a year but this is my daily driver. Great write up by the way and thanks for all your help with past questions.
Old May 2, 2006, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
I haven't driven a Twin Disk yet, but I know it's awesome.
I just installed one this weekend. I am suprised about the streetability of it. I have only stalled it once and that was after I backed out of the driveway. I am completely happy with it, also got it from Jeremiah.
Old May 2, 2006, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mbtoloczko
Just wondering what you mean by wtq. Usually clutches are rated by engine torque holding capacity.
I have the engine torque ratings, too, but who knows their engine torque? 99.99% of the people here (and anywhere) only know their wheel torque, so engine torque specs don't help a lot. It's not easy to find out your engine hp/tq, but I can post those numbers, too, if requested.

Jon, PM me anytime. I think you will have no problem with this clutch, and it will take your abuse at the track. Living in DC, though, y ou'd have to decide if the little bit of harshness is worth getting a strong clutch for less than $1000. It is for me, but not everyone is as nutty about performance as I am.

Ohio-Evo, I drive this car daily, and my work commute includes no speed limits over 45. Most of it is 30-35mph speed limits with lots of stop lights, and it's no issue whatsoever for me. It was worse when the clutch was brand new, but it's now broken in nicely and not a problem.

Zakk, you did the Twin and got it from Total D? Good stuff.
Old May 2, 2006, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah they had a really great deal on them and I couldn't pass it up.

I only have a 1/8th locally and plan on visiting it this weekend, My first time at the track (and first run for that matter) my stocker went the way of the dodo and the best time was a 8.57 with a 1.7ish 60. I am excited about seeing how much it will improve. I am also looking forward to a 1/4mile but that is a weekend event since the closest is about 3 hours from me. I will post the times after I go as a comparison.
Old May 2, 2006, 09:16 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the feed back I am definatly going to look at this when the time comes.
Old May 2, 2006, 11:09 AM

Guys i have a real good price on these. So get them while they are selling for this price. Pm me for price because im not posting it in the warrtalon thread.

Thanks
Old May 2, 2006, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So what would you suggest the 4 puck cerametallic single for? Budget, metro driving, and drag racing occassionally.

How about this, what would you suggest for someone who only drives 15 miles a day, has a strong leg, and drag races two times a year, speedmatch downshifts but is easy on the clutch (30,000 miles on stocker).

Thanks

Quick Reply: Exedy 4-puck Cerametallic Single Disk review