Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Beware The Greddy Rs!

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2006, 07:59 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a type-s valve and the rubber valve dried up and flaked off on my valve too Maybe the rubber needs to be oiled regularly? I emailed greddy when i found it had happend and they never responded back to me
Old Jun 2, 2006, 08:44 AM

out of curiosity...

did you guys buy authentic greddy parts? or ebay knock-offs?

I knew a guy who had the same problem with the ebay knock-off...
then he dug deeper into his pockets to get the real greddy rs bov...

he hasnt had any issues since...
Old Jun 2, 2006, 09:30 AM

My type-s did the same thing without meth.
Old Jun 2, 2006, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Question GReddy

Originally Posted by dvsevo8
out of curiosity...

did you guys buy authentic greddy parts? or ebay knock-offs?

I knew a guy who had the same problem with the ebay knock-off...
then he dug deeper into his pockets to get the real greddy rs bov...

he hasnt had any issues since...
Mine is the real deal. Now GReddy is telling me that the BOV is not covered under there warranty because it is a racing product. What does GReddy make that they don't consider a "racing product"?

Tell me how long has your buddy with the deep pockets had his BOV now?
Old Jun 2, 2006, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

I also have the rs, what is the time frame of these going bad? I've had it for about 6 or 7 months now. Just wondering if I am going to have to invest in another BOV.
Old Jun 2, 2006, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Well

Originally Posted by evozakk
I also have the rs, what is the time frame of these going bad? I've had it for about 6 or 7 months now. Just wondering if I am going to have to invest in another BOV.

Less than 5 months for mine.
Old Jun 2, 2006, 09:35 PM

I have had my Greddy RS blow off valve for a little over six months. I have been running 50/50 water-alky injection for about 4 months with no problems. Hopefully I want have any. Keeping my fingers crossed, since I have heard these bad things about greddy and their warranty!
Old Jun 7, 2006, 07:48 AM

ok... im just thinkin out loud here... but i dont think greddy r&d the rs bov with intended use for meth or alky...

matter of fact... i dont think any maufacturer of any bov had ever r&d thier bov's with intended use of meth or alky... if you know of any maufacturer that has made a bov with intended use for meth or alky, i'd like to know... im sure other guys here on evom would like to know too

i assume the following: did you straight out tell greddy that you used meth? if you did, of course greddy wont warranty thier product for meth... thats like telling mitsubishi you sprayed nitrous, the engine blew and you want them to warranty the engine repair.

i do agree with you when you say "what does greddy make that they dont consider a racing product?" That is a true statement, i couldnt agree more. I even went out of my way to email greddy tech support, plus a phone call to help you find out what can be done.

as far as my buddy goes... he got wut he paid for... a cheap ebay knock off learned the hard way... after that little fiasco, he bought the real greddy bov a few months ago... but he does not use meth or alky...

Originally Posted by cfdfireman1
Mine is the real deal. Now GReddy is telling me that the BOV is not covered under there warranty because it is a racing product. What does GReddy make that they don't consider a "racing product"?

Tell me how long has your buddy with the deep pockets had his BOV now?
Old Jun 7, 2006, 07:52 AM

But it doesn't matter if alky or meth is used with the BOV. The RS and Type S bovs from Greddy will wear out more quickly than other BOVs. The meth or alky use is not the issue.

The issue has to do with the crappy design of the diaphram.
Old Jun 7, 2006, 07:59 AM

dude... his first post states do not use if running meth... im not trying to start a flaming topic... but it is what fireman1 stated...

Originally Posted by kimletrim
But it doesn't matter if alky or meth is used with the BOV. The RS and Type S bovs from Greddy will wear out more quickly than other BOVs. The meth or alky use is not the issue.

The issue has to do with the crappy design of the diaphram.

Last edited by dvsevo8; Jun 7, 2006 at 08:01 AM.
Old Jun 7, 2006, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Please Read.

dude... his first post states do not use if running meth... im not trying to start a flaming topic... but it is what fireman1 stated...

dvsevo8,

Please read the rest of the posts in this thread. Apparently this is happening to many of those that don't use methanol which by the way is alcohol.
Old Jun 7, 2006, 09:26 AM

ok... as I stated before, im just trying to help

my research founded within evom forums concluded that the greddy S and RS are for high performance street use with a maximum of 25psi, you currently run 28psi... apparently you bought a bov that does not meet your performance needs... any diaphram will wear and tear if you run a higher boost than it was r&d for... thats saying you want to run a stock clutch on a 600whp car...

the greddy type r bov will suit your needs... it can hold up to 40psi... it has a stronger diaphram and spring rate...

hope you get your bov issues resolved

Originally Posted by cfdfireman1
dvsevo8,

Please read the rest of the posts in this thread. Apparently this is happening to many of those that don't use methanol which by the way is alcohol.
Old Jun 7, 2006, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

show me.

my research founded within evom forums concluded that the greddy S and RS are for high performance street use with a maximum of 25psi, you currently run 28psi... apparently you bought a bov that does not meet your performance needs... any diaphram will wear and tear if you run a higher boost than it was r&d for... thats saying you want to run a stock clutch on a 600whp car...

the greddy type r bov will suit your needs... it can hold up to 40psi... it has a stronger diaphram and spring rate...

Please give the links to your research finds.
Old Jun 7, 2006, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

spring rates?

dvsevo8,

If you want to talk spring rates and how a diverter valve works please read this first.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=24611
Old Jun 7, 2006, 11:05 AM

Exactly^^^^ The diaphram has to move up and down. It moves up and down based on the amount of load given through the intake tract and is not dependent on the amount of boost. You can run 5 psi and the rubber diaphram will still break down.

Quick Reply: Beware The Greddy Rs!