Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Thank you Al (Dyno Flash) and Warrtalon

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2006, 10:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drewbleweye, it's good to see you're making the power you were hoping for - especially after getting flamed a while back for having the "Stage 5" kit. It just goes to show that a lot of the evom users are blowing hot air. Congrats.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 10:16 PM
Evolving Member

Talking

yeah i pulled 291 horse power at the wheels in colorado springs at 6,000 feet elevation. they told me i should have about 20 to 40 more wheel horse power here in sioux city at only 1,000 feet elevation. so i should have between 300 to 330 horse power at the wheels here
Old Jul 12, 2006, 09:21 AM
Account Disabled

Glad to hear your powa is restored !
Old Jul 12, 2006, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by drewblueeye
yeah i pulled 291 horse power at the wheels in colorado springs at 6,000 feet elevation. they told me i should have about 20 to 40 more wheel horse power here in sioux city at only 1,000 feet elevation. so i should have between 300 to 330 horse power at the wheels here
I'm not "flaming" you but those numbers seem kinda low for stage 5 w/ IC and Cams, even with an extra 30hp from the elevation.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, this is a DynoDynamics dyno like the one Shiv uses, so it reads way lower than a Dynojet. It reads like Buschur's MD. For reference, he was on 91oct and only made 8whp less than I did on the same dyno with cams and 93oct/alky @ 26psi. He's making great power now. I would expect closer to 350whp on a Dynojet at his altitude in Iowa.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 11:18 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah I agree with Warrtalon, they car is almost insane now. the power is unbelievable. i cant wait to take it to the track and test it out. yeah I would say 350WHP is probebly where i am. I was thinking of taking it ot the AWD dyno here in sioux city and see what i put out on that.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 11:23 AM
Evolving Member

Wartalon,
If i did get a turbo upgrade, what would you suggest? i want ot go with Buschur Racing still. and if i did get a turbo upgrade and only pushed 20 psi just like i do with this turbo would it have more horse power??? would it spool up quicker? just wondering if i would make more power with a better turbo and if i would make more power why?
Also how much boost can a stock evo 8 handle without hurting the engine??? Al told me that if i get 112 race gas to turn the boost up all the way to 27 psi on my stock turbo, is that right??? i wont hurt the engine doing that???
Old Jul 12, 2006, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

No, haha, a bigger turbo won't spool up quicker. Nothing will spool quicker than your stock turbo other than a TME, which is the same turbo with lightened internals. You can make more power at 20psi on a larger turbo, but there's absolutely no reason to upgrade the turbo only to run 20psi. That's counterproductive. Of course you'd make more power with a better turbo - why wouldn't you? The boost question is invalid - the engine can handle whatever boost the stock turbo can make as long as you have the right octane. People always ask that wrong question when boost is not relevant to what the motor can handle - power is what matters and octane.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 04:08 PM
Account Disabled

It was a quasi - religious experience to tune on the famous DD dyno

Seriously - same as a mustang dyno

Revolution is a great shop - too bad we could not have done more cars on that dyno on sunday
Old Jul 12, 2006, 07:56 PM
Evolving Member

Warrtalon,
so if i upgraded to a g20 from buschur racing and took it to the track with 112 race gas, then what boost could i run on a stock engine?? i do have the ARP head studs from buschur. Al said i can push the max of the turbo right now (28psi?) on 112 race gas. Like i told you that day we met, i have worked on cars for a long time, but never on a turbo or supercharger... so i am kind of in the dark.
Honestly my goal is to have a 10 second car with the stock engine, no nitrous, no alky... just a mean Evo!
Owning an Evo is addicting. got a stupid question for you. is the Evo 8 engine a 4G63?
Old Jul 12, 2006, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

Drew, again, BOOST IS NOT WHAT LIMITS YOU. The stock engine does not care what boost you run - that's irrelevant. It's total power being made (limit is 500-550whp on the stock motor) and octane (can't run high boost on low octane).

Yes, it's a 4G63t.

10 seconds is a bit much. You need to worry about low 12s and mastering the driving. Then, you'll need another 100-150whp and probably some drivetrain upgrades. 10s are no joke, and you'll need more than a 20g to get enough power. To run 10s, you will likely be making enough power to push the limits of the stock motor, so you should really be sure about your goals when you also say that you are in the dark about turbos. My suggestion is to learn how the car works, learn what it is capable of with many different setups, then make a goal. Just having a blind goal of 10s on stock motor with no nitrous or alky is probably not the way to go. Also, saying you don't want alky doesn't really make sense, because you'll definitely have to be on race gas, and I doubt you'll run race gas 24/7, but you can run alky 24/7 and make just about the same power ALL THE TIME instead of just at the track. Don't short yourself unnecessarily...
Old Jul 13, 2006, 09:08 AM
Evolving Member

There is two reasons i dont want ot run Alky.

1. I have a friend that is a chemist here in sioux city and he said that Methanol is some wicked stuff. and he says that it has to be handled very carefully and is more dangerous than Nitrous or even race gas.

2. i seen this link about a kid running an Alky kit and seen this pic
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=204507

Last edited by drewblueeye; Dec 14, 2006 at 12:08 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

There have been far moe people with pics like that on straight pump gas. You can always blow a motor when making big power no matter what you use as fuel. Come on, methanol and denatured alky aren't some toxic wastes or anything. That's a bit paranoid.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 05:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 199 Likes on 118 Posts
Drew, Good to see everythings running better..

When you gonna get up here to TVR to run her? We're planning an EVO meet soon btw.
Again, great to hear everythings working well!
Old Jul 13, 2006, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
There have been far moe people with pics like that on straight pump gas. You can always blow a motor when making big power no matter what you use as fuel. Come on, methanol and denatured alky aren't some toxic wastes or anything. That's a bit paranoid.
I did not want to run methanol in my alcohol injection system at first either. Methanol is extremely nasty stuff. It burns clear - if it catches on fire you won't see it until it's too late. It is highly poisonous - and it can be absorbed through the skin and through breathing the fumes. It is highly corrosive.

But finally I decided the benefits outweight the hassels. Here is how I got around it:

Only fill up in a well ventilated area (garage door open with fan going)
Only fill up when car is cold, with key out of ignition to prevent any heat or sparks that could start a fire.
Wear gloves when filling up and use a transfer pump to pump Meth from metal drum into the tank in the car.

Some of that stuff is probably being overly cautious, but better safe than sorry when playing with highly combustible poisons.

EVOlutionary

Quick Reply: Thank you Al (Dyno Flash) and Warrtalon