Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Nitto NT-01 Tire Review

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2006, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also got a chance to run these tires (in 245/40/18) on the subytech project sti that I had at the evo tuner shootout. Just a great tire.

As for comparing them to the RA1, the RA1 will last longer under normal driving conditions if they start at full tread. However, on the track they should not be run full tread, as with 8/32s they can chunk quite easily when driven hard. This actually hurts the life of the tire. I have heard a number of people say they got a longer track life on shaved RA1s then full tread. This is a mjor difference since the NT-01 has larger tread blocks and only 6/32s tread to start which reduces the chunking.

I have personally driven mine on the street for a few weeks, did one track heat cycle session (1 hour of track time), and then 2 days of hard track time at the evo tuner shootout. They are just now starting to get into their stride and getting much grippier as they start to approach near full slick which happens at 3/32s tread i believe.

I cant wait for the 255/40/17 to come out as I intend to run them on a new set of 17x9 wheels.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kingkyle
Coming from one of the "credible" sources, i'll give them a try. Now i need to see if these 275's will fit.

Thanks for the info

-Kyle

no problem.

if you are going to compete with them make sure to shave them.

n
Old Jul 25, 2006, 01:31 PM
spt
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kingkyle
Coming from one of the "credible" sources, i'll give them a try. Now i need to see if these 275's will fit.

Thanks for the info

-Kyle

They should fit. I had to go with a 30 offset to get them to clear. I also had to roll the heck out of my front fenders.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 01:34 PM
spt
Evolved Member

Also keep in mind those pictures with the tires on the car will give you an idea of what the tread looked like after a full weekend at cmp. Not only did I drive on them, Robi used the same set to win the Nitto Class.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 09:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by I'mStock
I really want to hear from RA1 > NT01 converts.

How do the two compare?
Faster @ full tread handle heat better seem to wear more evenly and stay fast (don't seem to slow down as they heat cycle).....from my investigations NITTO is a daughter company of TOYO....they (RA1 & NTO1) have the same wear rating and I've been told the same compound...the NTO1 has a newer casing design and tread pattern..(handle VERY close to the TOYO R888's I've been testing). I also ran with-in 1.5 seconds of the 285 hoosiered tire AMS widebody with 275 NITTOS so they arn't slow by any yardstick.imho but as always ymmv
Old Aug 1, 2006, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

So with the NT01's on the stock Enkei's, would it be better to stick with a 235 for less sidewall flex or would it be better to wait for the 255's for a little more meat?
Old Aug 2, 2006, 02:11 PM
Evolving Member

We ran the 245 on an 8.5 in wide rim at the tuner shootout, and it worked fine. I would think the 245 would also be ok on an 8" rim. I would think the 255 would be a stretch though it would fit. It may not gain you anything gripwise though.
Mark
Old Aug 14, 2006, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

this review is worthless. there is almost no actual information other than the tire size.

what size rims did you use?
what were your lap times compared to previous trips to this track?
how does it compare to the RA-1?
which tire will give me better lap times?
which tire will last longer?
what suspension were you running on that particular day?
how was it set up?

you know, like maybe at least try to provide some real feedback other than "most of time we were practically pinned to the side of the seat" ... yeah that's real specific.

sorry to bash, but the point of a review is to give us something real to go on.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 04:32 PM
Account Disabled

how do these compare to the kuhmo v710
Old Aug 14, 2006, 06:19 PM
Former Sponsor

imo...1st 4 heat cycles slower next two = from there on faster (they dont slow down like the Hoosiers/Kumo DOT's) always faster on a hot (above 90) road course faster all the way to the cords ime
Old Aug 14, 2006, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jbrown
this review is worthless. there is almost no actual information other than the tire size.

what size rims did you use?
what were your lap times compared to previous trips to this track?
how does it compare to the RA-1?
which tire will give me better lap times?
which tire will last longer?
what suspension were you running on that particular day?
how was it set up?

you know, like maybe at least try to provide some real feedback other than "most of time we were practically pinned to the side of the seat" ... yeah that's real specific.

sorry to bash, but the point of a review is to give us something real to go on.
Some of the information you want is there just not explicitly and some is ion the discussion which is a key part of all our reviews. In the review, we could not directly compare to the RA1 as Toyo owns nitto. However, in the discussion you will find your answer as well as in the review if you reed between the lines.

If you look at the project evo, you can find all info on the parts and setup. The only difference is the wheels which were 18x9 +30.

For which last longer, the ra1 has 8/32 tread which is 2 more than the nitto. However, you would not run an ra1 at full tread on the track generally where as you can with a nitto. At equal tread on the track they would be very close on wear. Grip seems to be a little more consistant and progressive

We had not run the car on this track before on either of our project cars, so nothing to compare to on times. If you listen to other people that have tried both on the same track in this discussion, you can find some answers

One item we should have noted is tire pressures. We found them to work best at right about 40psi hot depending on conditions, maybe as high as 42.

We are working with a test track so that in the future we can bring you more quantitative data in the future.

Hope this clears up some of your comments.

Last edited by CharlesJ; Aug 14, 2006 at 07:00 PM.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 10:13 AM
Evolving Member

Where is good place to buy them online that offers them shaved?
Old Aug 21, 2006, 09:34 AM

I don't think you can buy them shaved.

I got mine thru www.tires.com (free shipping).
Old Aug 21, 2006, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

So who has the best price on these?
Old Aug 27, 2006, 09:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ultimate CC
how do these compare to the kuhmo v710
+1

Quick Reply: Nitto NT-01 Tire Review