Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

AMS EVO IX GSC 280/272 Cam test

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2006, 10:31 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AMS EVO IX GSC 280/272 Cam test

You wanted an unbiased viewpoint... Here it is

Test Car:
2006 EVO IX SE
2000 Miles on the odometer
AMS Turbo Back exhuast with Resonated Test pipe
AMS FMIC
AMS LICP
Blitz Panel Filter
GSC 280/272 Cams
AMS Flash
21 Peak Psi Tapering down to 17/18 via the flash

Overview:

I want to first start out by saying the stock EVO IX cam setup is a really well designed piece. Anyone that has driven an EVO IX can attest to this. Its hard to improve on something that is allready well engineered

The GSC 280/272 Cam combo simply takes the stock design and add a little to it. HP level on the GSC cam against the stock cam is really very comparable untill about 5700 RPM. Its at that level the GSC cam starts to shine. From 5750 to redline the GSC cam set up makes about 15 more Horesepowe and 10-13 more Ft lbs of torque.

The car feels just as strong as it did only now she gives a good kick in pants up top.

Idle has not changed in the least and the car drives just as smooth as it did from day one

I will be adding an MBC to the car later on tonight to help hold more boost to redline. For testing purposes I wanted to keep all variables the same.

Final Numbers:

before the cams at 21 peak psi tapering to 17 the car made:
321.63 WHP and 314.14 Ft/lbs

After the cams and Tune at the same boost level the car made:
335.09 WHP and 309.83 Peak Ft lbs of torque*

* Peak torque was decresed very slightly but the car carries more torque to redline now. *see Dyno graph*

As far as a seal of approval from AMS, the GSC cams get them. Nice mild increase in power and torque with ZERO driveability Loss.

I will post a dyno sheet up here momentarily and also let you know the numbers after the MBC is installed.

Thanks to Greg at GSC for sending the test set of cams over
Chris here at the shop for tuning them in
And Eric Jones for the install

Eric

Old Nov 8, 2006, 10:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
those are nice number for 21psi...what do you think it will be at with like a 23 or 24lb spike?
Old Nov 8, 2006, 10:52 AM
Former Sponsor

Its hard to say. A spike is just that...a spike. All it really is going to do is give you a number to brag about. With a healthy Boost level that doesnt taper off as much I think my car would of been closer to the 345-350 range.

I think the general outcome of this cam on a stage 1-3 evo IX is going to be about 15-22 whp gain and a nice increase in big end torque

Eric
Old Nov 8, 2006, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could we get a bigger dyno plot, I can't see it.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 11:17 AM
Evolving Member

See..Now we are talking...Thanks for the test guys!
Old Nov 8, 2006, 11:18 AM
Former Sponsor

good god man thats a big dyno!

I wish the 9 held boost better. these cams are designed for power increase from 5500 on
up to 7500 and as most of you know thats where the boost is on the way down. we've seen
it before with our test car. kinda sucks for a comparison but thats what we got.

I hope you enjoy them Eric and thanks for posting up a dyno graph.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 11:22 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by nutrulz
Could we get a bigger dyno plot, I can't see it.
Sorry I just hate when people put up a graph that you cant make out or break down. I wanted to hide nothing

Eric
Old Nov 8, 2006, 11:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AutoMotoSports
Its hard to say. A spike is just that...a spike. All it really is going to do is give you a number to brag about. With a healthy Boost level that doesnt taper off as much I think my car would of been closer to the 345-350 range.

I think the general outcome of this cam on a stage 1-3 evo IX is going to be about 15-22 whp gain and a nice increase in big end torque

Eric
Those would be pretty nice numbers...Im spiking 24 psi right now with my hallman mbc and it holds right there it doesn't seem to taper much at all...
Old Nov 8, 2006, 11:34 AM
Evolving Member

Those are great gains, but my question is......

Are your gains really from the cams alone, or is it the tune.??

I think we need to see a dyno from just installing the cams without a tune since you didn't have a tune before the cam install. Im not trying to be rude, I think its just a fair question because I also have a IX and no cams have really shown any real gains. From what I have seen IX's with just TBE, MBC/EBC, drop-in or full intake and a TUNE are putting down anywhere from 330whp to as high as 355whp and 315-330 ft/lbs of torque. Of course different numbers for different dynos, and the baseline of the car aswell.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice test, Good job..
Old Nov 8, 2006, 11:53 AM
Former Sponsor

If you look at my mod list I had a flash before the cams were installed. The only thing that was changed was the cams and then I got RETUNED for the cams. It as accurate as you can get. All hp gained was only from the cams and the new tune for the cams. You cant just put a set of cams in a car, you have to get tuned for it.

Be careful of dyno numbers floating around here. It seems to be common practice to inflate dyno numbers. Our numbers are REAL numbers. SAE corrected and they will match up to the trap speeds that they are supposed to put down.

We have been told our dyno reads a bit on the low side. I think it actually reads right on. We just like to tell it how it is, no sugar coating. The Gains we post are gains that anyone can see not smoke and mirror gains

Eric

Last edited by AutoMotoSports; Nov 8, 2006 at 11:58 AM.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MR06Evo
Those would be pretty nice numbers...Im spiking 24 psi right now with my hallman mbc and it holds right there it doesn't seem to taper much at all...
Remeber that since that car is now cammed its not gona hold boost as much as stock cammed car due to more flow

Originally Posted by EVO316
Those are great gains, but my question is......

Are your gains really from the cams alone, or is it the tune.??

I think we need to see a dyno from just installing the cams without a tune since you didn't have a tune before the cam install. Im not trying to be rude, I think its just a fair question because I also have a IX and no cams have really shown any real gains. From what I have seen IX's with just TBE, MBC/EBC, drop-in or full intake and a TUNE are putting down anywhere from 330whp to as high as 355whp and 315-330 ft/lbs of torque. Of course different numbers for different dynos, and the baseline of the car aswell.
Thats what i noticed also that stock cammed IXs make the same if not more power than the cammed ones... I think the stock setup is great and if i had a IX i wouldnt touch the cams at all

Last edited by EVIL_EVO_VIII; Nov 8, 2006 at 12:05 PM.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

You have said cam and cams so did you add just the intake cam to a 272 that was already in the car
Old Nov 8, 2006, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Is this your car eric.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 12:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Yes that is my car.

As I had stated my baseline numbers are bit low because really I have not adjusted the factory boost that much. Tonight I will be changing that. I wanted to show the change in HP and torque with no other variables changed.

This was done using a GSC 280 Intake cam and 272 Exhuast cam.

After tossing on an MBC tonight and dialing in the boost right I am hoping to hold closer to 345 maybe 350

Eric

Quick Reply: AMS EVO IX GSC 280/272 Cam test