Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Zeus’ review of Jestr Tuning

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2006, 10:22 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Zeus’ review of Jestr Tuning

I’ve attempted to keep this as simple as possible in order to allow even the newest Evo owner to follow along. For those of you “in the know”, I hope you don’t find it too boring and long winded as this is a review of the experience. For those of you looking for hard “numbers”, there are already numerous other Jestr customers posting those… I’ll be the *** and say “search is your friend”. However, if we can get it together after the holidays, JestrTuning is supposed to be coming to this area. I’m looking at getting a custom tune on a Dyno Dynamics setup.

It all started when I’d finally had enough of another vendor’s “custom tuned” piggy back/w flash not running well. I had never really liked the piggy back idea, but was really interested in the so called active real time adjustments the combination was supposed to make. It sounded great on paper, and to be honest, except for drivability, the car did run well when getting on it. However, the car suffered from intermittent low speed stalling, cold light throttle hiccups, 16 MPG, and generally was not smooth at part throttle transitions. I contacted the vendor about the issue, and at his request, sent a log. It was offered to take care of this at another tune date… which in his defense, I was unable to attend. I was never contacted again, or no one followed up to see how I was doing after that.

Enter ECUflash… I’m not a tuner, but was intrigued with the possibility of being able to make my own flash changes to the ECU. I thought I might see if I could fix my above listed problems myself with the guidance of one of the tuners I’d worked with in the past. However, I got busy with other things and never got around to contacting any of them.

I started reading reviews of Jestr Tuning, and decided I’d email him and see what he had to offer. I already had experience with all of the “bigger” Evo flash tuners from Evom, mostly in person, or through my closest customers. Some of those tuners are great people, and would be welcome to stay in my home, others, well, let’s just not say anything.

I decided to contact Jestr Tuning and inquire about his version of the “remote flash”. I received a reply from Jestr promptly. Of course I had a boat load of questions, and John answered them all without seeming to tire of me. Emails were replied to usually the next if not the same day. I was even more pleased to find that not only had John been tuning ECUs for about ten years, but he was a Software Engineer by trade. (This would become very obvious later in the process).

I decided to completely remove the piggy back as there were several people who had the same setup who had gone the way of a Jestr flash… and were quite happy. Before that though, with John’s assistance, I sent him my current image so he could send me back a safe image to start with. Being a computer user reject, John had to instruct me in the basics of using ECUflash/Evoscan with my LC1 wideband. He was quite patient and very understandable to the layman in his tutelage. Along with the image, John required a complete list of my current modifications.

The very first flash basically cleared up my drivability issues. BAM! I was already pretty happy. This is where John’s back ground really seemed to shine in my opinion. Sure other tuners know “how to tune a car”, but John seems to know “how to tune an ECU”. What the hell am I saying you ask? I’d say other tuners tend to really know there stuff when it comes to the concepts of tuning a car. John does too. However, John also knows the purpose, and reasoning of the software used in the ECU itself. He not only understands how to tune an ECU to get a desired result, but understands why the software works the way it does, and how the individual components of the software within the ECU interact with one another. In short, smooth software harmony results in a smooth tune. That is what sets him apart in my opinion. That is also why his first flash cleared up my part throttle tip in problems, and the car started up and ran better than stock (well, stock with 272/272 HKS cams on OE gears).

He set me up with the proper files to make my EvoScan read properly with my 680cc injectors. That along with my LC1 wideband allowed for some great logs to sent to John. He would send me changes to my tune after I sent him the logs. Basically, John would send me an image, I’d download it, flash it in, and go rip off some logs to send back to him. He’d make some changes, and send me back another image. There were a total of eleven images sent to me in the end. Of course the first image was close, however I have some mods that made my tuning a little “different”... namely, one of the earliest FP White Rabbit turbos and their high pressure wastegate actuator.

One of the things I had prepared myself for was the loss of low end torque. I figured there is no way I could get the low end grunt of the previous system able to run on the ragged edge of off boost timing that I’d had. Sure enough, the first few images were considerably less torquey off boost. Also, spool up was noticeable slower than a stock turbo. I’d prepared myself for this. As stated above, I’d expected to have to give up the low end torque with the OE ECU. Mid-range power was good, top end seemed to be back to where it was with the afore mentioned “custom dyno tune”… if not better. Then we got to last few images… BAM! Wow! My low end torque was back! Wow, spool up is back too! Now we’re cooking! I got back most if not all of my off boost torque, and the car spools like a stock turbo, if not better! Life is good!

I’m smiling at the first turn of the key in the car again… and I’m happy with my new Tuner. I’m making up reasons to go to the store again. Just like when I first bought the car… “Need some bread honey? I’ll go get it right now… oh darn, forgot the milk. I’ll be right back”. “Hey, I’ll go pick up the kids today”.

Yep, the car IS new again…

I’ll come back and update after the dyno day…

Last edited by Zeus; Nov 29, 2006 at 07:08 AM.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 10:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't wait to get a Jestr tune; i can't believe the reviews. SERIOUSLY 100% positive feedback; amazing.

John's reputation has really blown up lately, he is mr. popular now-a-days, life must be good...
Old Nov 29, 2006, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

Man...seeing posts like these makes me even more impatient/excited
Old Nov 29, 2006, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
he's the best! i've used him and that's all i'll be using. by the way , Zues, what's up with those ACD megan downpipes?
Old Nov 29, 2006, 09:03 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Z-e-u-s is still waiting on the downpipes... hoping to have them before the new year... not holding my breath though
Old Nov 29, 2006, 09:19 PM
Evolving Member

John got me into the scene 10 years ago with his eagle talon tsi awd. I had a N/T and shortly after bought my first turbo car. I have gone through tons of dsms and now im on my 2nd evo which I plan on sticking with haha. I setup a trip for john to come out to portland to get some cars tuned. I had my car all ready and 2 days prior to tune day I blew my HG what do ya know haha. John is awesome and you are right zeus his background helps him out alot. He has been programming ever since I have known him so im sure when he dove into the tuning world it came in alot easier than it would for most. John is the man. Period. He has no issues telling you whats going on with your tune etc etc. He dosnt hide his maps, as he has no reason to. Other tuners like to hide their work. John lives up to his rep and Im proud of what he has done. Hes come along way. Now i need to get my car back up and get him back out here in march so I can get my tune on Whoever has john tune their car will be happy no doubt about it. Stand up professional guy. He knows how to do business. Thats my 25 cents lol. Take care guys
-Anthony
Old Nov 29, 2006, 09:20 PM
Account Disabled

I will be getting a jestur tune shortly...
Old Nov 29, 2006, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

Wow, basically you got a road tune there... 11 map variations :O

How much was it ?
Old Nov 29, 2006, 10:09 PM
Evolved Member

www.jestrtuning.com

It's only $200 for a 6 month flash subscription which is a steal if you think about it. Get your first flash, send back as many times as you'ld like till its near perfect.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 02:30 AM
Pocket Mo

Originally Posted by DsmAwdTurbo
John got me into the scene 10 years ago with his eagle talon tsi awd. I had a N/T and shortly after bought my first turbo car. I have gone through tons of dsms and now im on my 2nd evo which I plan on sticking with haha. I setup a trip for john to come out to portland to get some cars tuned. I had my car all ready and 2 days prior to tune day I blew my HG what do ya know haha. John is awesome and you are right zeus his background helps him out alot. He has been programming ever since I have known him so im sure when he dove into the tuning world it came in alot easier than it would for most. John is the man. Period. He has no issues telling you whats going on with your tune etc etc. He dosnt hide his maps, as he has no reason to. Other tuners like to hide their work. John lives up to his rep and Im proud of what he has done. Hes come along way. Now i need to get my car back up and get him back out here in march so I can get my tune on Whoever has john tune their car will be happy no doubt about it. Stand up professional guy. He knows how to do business. Thats my 25 cents lol. Take care guys
-Anthony
I'm glad to say I'm one of the lucky ones that got the pleasure and honor of having his car tuned by John. Always pleasant no matter how stressed he may be AND he does a wonderful job. I saw 70+ hp in the first flash as John was just beginning to work his magic. He fine tuned everything for power, reliability, and daily driveability. I can't wait until Anthony gets him back out here so I can get another tune. I've been telling everyone I know about his tune and a few are now practically begging me to secure a spot for them when John's back. Is he as good as everyone says he is? Hell yes.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 03:00 AM
Evolved Member

I (and probably every other customer John has ever had) will tell you that John is truly a craftsman. John / Jestr is extremely knowledgeable, patient, and talented. His tunes are 2nd to none and his support is endless. John is an engineer, does rebuild ECUs, does understand how all the components work, and their limitations, and uses this knowledge along with his great knowledge of cars to develop some of the best tunes out there....

Jestr FTW!
Old Nov 30, 2006, 04:06 AM

Always hearing positive reviews about Jestr... Might get a flash from there sometime..
Old Nov 30, 2006, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

I love my Jestr tune, Jon is an awesome guy to deal with. I still just talk to him on AIM about randomness, he's just a good guy.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 07:23 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Even you guys who can't get a custom dyno tune owe it to yourself to get a "remote tune"! That was what my above review was all about! Can't wait for a custom dyno tune... and maybe that tune will be served up with a little alky for my Evo
Old Nov 30, 2006, 07:55 AM
Evolving Member

I recently emailed John about a flash for my car the responce was instant and very polite. Unfortunatly some expenses came up and I have had to put it on hold for now but as soon as I get the cash he will her from me. I would recommend him to anyone just on cutomer service alone.

Quick Reply: Zeus’ review of Jestr Tuning