Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Why I chose JunB.L exhaust, the complete review w/pics! (no 56k)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2007, 04:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why I chose JunB.L exhaust, the complete review w/pics! (no 56k)

This is my review before I became a sales associate at PPi:

Here is my lengthy review about the best overall exhaust available for the EVO8/9. I purchased it from Paradigm Performance Innovation. PPi is a new vendor that is on top of their game and made this transaction flawless by answering all of my questions and shipping the package fast.

I found myself needing another exhaust for my EVO. I wanted a different tone, look, and something that set my car apart. It is also very important that the exhaust is made of all stainless steel to ensure that it holds up to the enduring winter here. I also wanted something that would never leak and would be very easy to remove from the car when servicing. I had given many shops a call and told them what I was looking for although not one fit the bill completely.

At this point I was looking at custom designing an exhaust, although after talking with Wayne at paradigmperformance.net I changed my mind. Wayne informed me that PPi was an authorized retailer of JunB.L exhaust and they had an EVO system. Wayne is also a member on my forums at miEVO.net. At first I was reminded of some race only exhaust that is not only loud, but not cosmetically pleasing. Wayne assured me that this exhaust was very easy to install, would hold up to anything I could throw at it, sounded deep and looked like nothing you have seen before.

I was skeptical about the $685 shipped for catback and testpipe although Wayne assured me it would exceed all of my expectations. So I gave him my billing information and 2 days later it was delivered to my door. Talk about fast shipment! There was no lack of anything with this exhaust system. The packaging alone was unlike anything I have ordered before. Great care went into the packaging and it shows as there were no defects in any part of the system when I was drooling over it during unboxing it.

When closely looking at the system I am amazed to read on the JunB.L website all of the advancements this exhaust has. From being hand welded and fabricated to the custom made clamping system to the fully CNC mandrel bending there is not one thing bad I can find. The welding looks like a roll of dimes laid out perfectly and there is no welding flash anywhere to be found. All piping is beautifully polished to a mirror shine and on the inside looks great with no restrictive bends and is a full 3" throughout. The muffler passes the soda-can test and is stamped with the JunB.L signature.

I opted for the system that included a 3" off-road pipe and a flange to bolt to any downpipe of your choice, including stock. After removing my old system I took care in lining up the piping before tightening the clamps. This ensured that I would not have to spend more time than needed and I suggest doing the same when installing any exhaust. On a side note I have installed at least a dozen cat-back/turbo-back systems for the EVO and this system is by far the easiest. It fits well, does not hit, or rattle on any part of the car and is really the best part on my EVO. The exhaust looks awesome from the rear with the slanted JDM exit defining the importance all are to hear.

Initial startup is good, no leaks, and the tone is deep. Compared to the Magnaflow muffler I had before this is deeper yet. I rev it a few times and it stays deep and sounds very rich. After a spirited drive I am very impressed as the power feels slightly improved. I had to turn the boost down a bit to compensate for the improved flow, this was a surprise. I have received a few compliments so far, I tell them it is JunB.L and they say who are they? I tell them the best exhaust available, and after telling them why they agree.

Overall, I would rate the JunB.L EVO8/9 exhaust a 9.5/10. The only reason it is not perfect is because of the price. Although you get what you pay for and their 10 year limited warranty is unlike any other available out there. Not that you should need it although it really makes a bold statement. My experience with Wayne @ PPi would be rated as a 10/10. He listened to my needs, and made a recommendation that was not pushy, but knowledgeable and experienced. He told me because of the quality and performance this exhaust will be used on their shop EVO which is deep in the elevens and should be one of only a few solid 10 second cars with a factory style turbo. I was so impressed with PPi that I asked if I could help promote their products! Soon I will have almost every part they offer.

Considering I already had a 3" exhaust it did not seem like an upgrade although there are so many things that are more important than just having a 3" exhaust. I also had to go back to the stock DP and I could not tell any difference in performance with this versus the 3" downpipe I had before. This is surprising considering my 272/10.5/21psi should push the stock DP out of the limit but the car feels great and faster than before!

Now look at my almost 40 pictures to help you make your mind up. One of my pets decided to make itself comfortable when I was snapping the pictures...so it was not included. Also please note the pictures on the car are after almost 2 weeks of use. So they are not the most clean...thanks again snow.

Videos will come later once this white crap goes away.

Old Feb 9, 2007, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

wow... i think i'm selling my ebay ones and get this! heheeh
Old Feb 9, 2007, 05:13 PM
Account Disabled

nice...
Old Feb 9, 2007, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yay i have same exhaust! how much did it cost for the 3 inch flange that connects to the cat
Old Feb 9, 2007, 05:26 PM
Former Sponsor

PM sent!
Old Feb 9, 2007, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

Is it loud? I mean when you're cruzing on the freeway at 3 or 4K RPM how is it?
Old Feb 9, 2007, 05:42 PM
Evolving Member

Sweeeeeet!!!! Any sound clips?
Old Feb 9, 2007, 05:49 PM
Account Disabled

Cool cat.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 07:39 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by tvbf1
Is it loud? I mean when you're cruzing on the freeway at 3 or 4K RPM how is it?
I don't think it is loud. I can still talk on my cell phone if I need to and passengers in the car can hear me just fine. It is deeper than the Magnaflow based system that I was using and seems to have less cabin noise due to not leaking anywhere because of the great sealing properties of these clamps.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 08:12 AM
Evolving Member

Very nice exhaust, if this would have been about 2 weeks earlier this is the exhaust i would have.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 08:29 AM

does this exhaust drone at any rpm range?

Do they have db sound level measurements at idle, cruise and full throttle?

This is with the CAT in place.

Last edited by kaiwang; Feb 10, 2007 at 08:34 AM.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 10:12 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by kaiwang
does this exhaust drone at any rpm range?

Do they have db sound level measurements at idle, cruise and full throttle?

This is with the CAT in place.
No drone with this exhaust. I will see if they have tested dB for this exhaust. I would like to see what the difference for cat/no cat with their exhaust.

I have another firend that still has this exhaust with the cat in place. I could get an inexpensive dB tester to see what it comes out to.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Wow that sure is purdy! I almost bought this exhaust....

Looks like the cat adapter could be used with the stock cat inplace. Just move it to the back of the cat so it will mate with the cat back. That make any sense?
Old Feb 10, 2007, 12:03 PM

ref:

this is what the s2000 owners have for exhaust sample videos

http://www.s2000library.com/

db sound ratings for different exhausts at idle, mid and high rpms

http://josiahgordon.com/s2000/exhaus...haust_comp.wmv
Old Feb 10, 2007, 01:40 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Bonestock!
Wow that sure is purdy! I almost bought this exhaust....

Looks like the cat adapter could be used with the stock cat inplace. Just move it to the back of the cat so it will mate with the cat back. That make any sense?

I did not check to see if the 3" adapter will mate to a stock cat. I imagine the nuts could be pretty difficult to tighten down due to spacing although I think you could make it work. They sell an adapter that flares down to 2.5" which will make more sense to bolt to the stock cat.

Quick Reply: Why I chose JunB.L exhaust, the complete review w/pics! (no 56k)