Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

ingalls stiffy engine damper

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2007, 08:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ingalls stiffy engine damper

well i got my ingalls stiffy engine damper in the mail today friom machV (good vendor, priced at 129 shipped, took one week from order to install)

my goal with this install was to improve shifting speed. the evo with nothing added basically sucks at shifting. quick shifts can be dfficult at times under high load. i started by going with the buschur racing aluminum shifter bushings. however it didn't improve the shifting speed one bit however it did change the feel a bit. after installing the engine damper, which was a 15 minute install, i hoped in the car and started it up. right away the vibration and engine noise was noticably louder in the cabin. once rolling before even getting out of the driveway i could feel a huge improvement in the shift. driving down the street under heavy load every shift was easy and fluid without getting any "knotchy" feel. i can shift as fast as my wrist can move and not feel grinding gears, even the notorious 1-2 lockout wasn't a problem.

my conclusion: ingalls stiffy absolutely worth the 130 dollars! improved shifting greatly!
Old Feb 15, 2007, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you sure its effect is not compounded by already having bushings? I ask that, because it's the front motor mount that solves the problem. The stiffy only acts as a bandaid for the real problem. Both together work better than just the stiffy, and usually the motor mount by itself is much more useful than the stiffy by itself. I only have the Forge front motor mount, and my shifts are lightning fast.
Old Feb 15, 2007, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

Clay, do you get any vibration other than at idle with the forge front mount?
Old Feb 16, 2007, 06:10 AM
Former Sponsor

warr, i could always take the bushings out and put the stock ones back it to see, but the benefit from the bushings isn't to make the shifts faster, it is to firm up the shifting linkage. it is noticable at doing that.

as for the stiffy being a bandaid, it really is no more of a bandaid then going to solid motor mounts. they both achieve the same goal, reducing engine twist. i'm not arguing the fact that the front motor mount may solve the problem, but i'm certain the stiffy did as well.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Danny23
Clay, do you get any vibration other than at idle with the forge front mount?
I only notice it at idle and very low speeds in 1st gear. Actually, I only noticed it like after a few days, but I can't remember the last time I noticed, because it's just a normal part of the car for me now. My 700f/900r stiff springs make the motor mount seem tame.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 08:06 AM
Account Disabled

On my Evo I use the Ingalls Stiffy and Agency Power front engine mount
Old Feb 19, 2007, 02:34 PM

love my Ingalls
Old Feb 20, 2007, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
Thanks for the quick write-up. I've been wanting to get one for some time now.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Good write up and enjoy..

YO BBOY.. got my gruppe-s eng. damper in.. did you jump on it.. it was only 99 bux shipped.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
Not yet man... still waiting on my state tax return.

How's Germany?
Old Feb 23, 2007, 03:29 PM

Had hoped my Ingalls would solve the "shift under load" problem..really didn't notice much improvement. However, adjusting the clutch pedal rod length made a world of difference. May I suggest trying to lengthen the clutch rod a bit so as to further actuate the clutch cylinder's rod as a potential fix for this shift problem.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 12:00 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I installed, at seperate times in this order: metal shifter base bushings, metal shifter linkage bushings, ingalls stiffy, then powerflex front engine mount bushing. The shifter base and linkage bushings were a nice pair, made shifting more like locking and loading a rifle. The stiffy made a dramatic improvement in shifting at all speeds and even felt like power was put down to the wheels from the drivetrain faster. Add the poly front engine mount and it's just surreal. Might want to bump the idle up a hundred rpm or so if you go with the stiffy/front poly engine mount combo though as the vibration translated into the cabin will increase, especially if you have lopie cams

Last edited by mitsuorder; Feb 26, 2007 at 12:04 AM.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 01:51 PM
Former Sponsor

thanks mitsuorder. actually installed a short shifter and base bushings for a guy last weekend and it felt nice. may be going with the shifter base bushings and front motor mount next.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KevinD
well i got my ingalls stiffy engine damper in the mail today friom machV (good vendor, priced at 129 shipped, took one week from order to install)

my goal with this install was to improve shifting speed. the evo with nothing added basically sucks at shifting. quick shifts can be dfficult at times under high load. i started by going with the buschur racing aluminum shifter bushings. however it didn't improve the shifting speed one bit however it did change the feel a bit. after installing the engine damper, which was a 15 minute install, i hoped in the car and started it up. right away the vibration and engine noise was noticably louder in the cabin. once rolling before even getting out of the driveway i could feel a huge improvement in the shift. driving down the street under heavy load every shift was easy and fluid without getting any "knotchy" feel. i can shift as fast as my wrist can move and not feel grinding gears, even the notorious 1-2 lockout wasn't a problem.

my conclusion: ingalls stiffy absolutely worth the 130 dollars! improved shifting greatly!
do you have it on the stiffest setting for street driving?
Old Mar 8, 2007, 08:17 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great review guys!! Altho I don't have the Ingalls unit, I do have the Stillway which does the same thing. I noticed the notchy-ness during shifting has improved dramatically. a good modification for all.

For those interested, we have a few Ingalls stiffy engine dampers on clearance. Please pm me if you want a good deal

Quick Reply: ingalls stiffy engine damper