Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Buschur vs Ebay Exhuast Test Results - Round 1

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2007, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DynoFlash
I don't understand why all you ebay and megan owners are so defensive about your purchases. It seems that some of you are so fixated on these units that you wont listen to reason.

To me, looking at that dyno result I measured last night ITS SHOCKING how much extra power was made with the Buschur Exhuast.

Clearly, the Buschur products have demonstrated what I have been observing all along for the past years of tuning evos.

If some of your guys who have "invested" in cheap ebay products want to say that all of the power gains in this study came from removing the high flow cat - THAT IS FINE WITH ME. My main thrust is that a poorly set up exhuast syetem can result in a bad running car.

I will be back to test more configurations against the Buschur Unit - hopefuly we can find one with no high flow cats soon

Any volunteers?
I'll take you up on the offer....I have a complete Megan Racing TBE and will buy the BR on the spot if it provides more than a 5 whp gain. PM the details and I'll find a time to get up to CT. Thanks
Old Feb 18, 2007, 10:27 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts

To me, looking at that dyno result I measured last night ITS SHOCKING how much extra power was made with the Buschur Exhuast.

No, it's not shocking. You added a more free flowing test pipe which are know to add at least 5-10whp. Also you say the boost holds 1.5 more psi because of the above flow mods. Holding 1.5 more psi in the mid range and top end can make 20-30whp. I have dyno charts to prove it.

Then you say the tune is the same. That is wrong. It's flowing more and holding 1.5 more psi by your own words. Of course the curves are going to be larger after peak torque with the mods and boost changes mentioned above.

Again, this is NOT A VS TEST when the things above have been done

Do a proper VS. test with proper data and whatever point you have might actually be considered.

What you have posted is just more propaganda. That's all it is. Everyone can see right though it.

Disclaimer: I run a "made in america" exhaust so I am not biased to "china e-bay omgzors!" exhausts in any way. I have however tuned EVO's with both types of exhausts and have never found huge power differences from either as long as they are decently designed.

SAME Boost, tune and dyno settings

This is a true A - B test
Same boost and tune? Are you sure?

the a/f went nearly a point leaner with no changes and the car held nearly 1.5 psi more boost
Ok, no, it was not the same boost and tune then

Last edited by razorlab; Feb 18, 2007 at 10:35 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cij911
I'll take you up on the offer....I have a complete Megan Racing TBE and will buy the BR on the spot if it provides more than a 5 whp gain. PM the details and I'll find a time to get up to CT. Thanks
Chris, let us know the outcome. He asked for volunteer, you took it - lets see a real A/B comparison. Keep us posted
Old Feb 18, 2007, 10:43 AM

I'm no genius but a straight through test pipe vs a cat is NOT a fair comparison.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 10:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Vigo
Uh oh! DynoFlash got owned again...This test proves nothing...Mind blowingly pointless...Good job Al....
+1, once again Al postes up some BIAS as S*** testing, not only did he not mention that there was a stock cat on the car before the installing the buscur exhaust, he also changed the O2 which is deff not an A to B test, many controls that couldhave been used were not and too many variables were introduces, i'm postive that the ebay exhaust is +or- 1-3hp from buschur's exhaust. Al, you have just ruined your credibility or what little you had left.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ballistic speed
not only did he not mention that there was a stock cat on the car before the installing the buscur exhaust, he also changed the O2 which is deff not an A to B test
Actually in his defense HE DID STATE that the car had a Perrin Hi-Flow Cat and that when he swapped to Buschur's exhaust he put the STOCK O2 Housing back on...People seem to keep missing these little facts in their bashing posts.

I agree that this wasn't an A to B test but members here are jumbling up the facts quite a bit!
Old Feb 18, 2007, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

I don't understand why all you ebay and megan owners are so defensive about your purchases. It seems that some of you are so fixated on these units that you wont listen to reason.

Clearly, the Buschur products have demonstrated what I have been observing all along for the past years of tuning evos.

If some of your guys who have "invested" in cheap ebay products want to say that all of the power gains in this study came from removing the high flow cat - THAT IS FINE WITH ME. My main thrust is that a poorly set up exhuast syetem can result in a bad running car.

I will be back to test more configurations against the Buschur Unit - hopefuly we can find one with no high flow cats soon

Any volunteers?
My offer still stands. I will drive up to Buschur for the test. I have an RMR downpipe (no better than any other 3" downpipe), MR test pipe (resonator)...I'll switch to a true test pipe that isn't a resonator if desired, and MR catback. I'll also have a ss O2 housing (the same Ebay el cheapo with magnetic flanges that Buschur sells).
Old Feb 18, 2007, 12:28 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by ballistic speed
+1, once again Al postes up some BIAS as S*** testing, not only did he not mention that there was a stock cat on the car before the installing the buscur exhaust, he also changed the O2 which is deff not an A to B test, many controls that couldhave been used were not and too many variables were introduces, i'm postive that the ebay exhaust is +or- 1-3hp from buschur's exhaust. Al, you have just ruined your credibility or what little you had left.

Reality seems to escape you

In the first post I listed ALL the mods on the car including the high flow cat (not stock cat)

I was not hiding any details - I even took pictures of the high flow cat

If you do not like the "controls" and methods I have used do your own test

I was JUST trying to figure out WHY this one car was running weak - when a car comes to our shop to get tuned an is not making the right power - we dig as deeply as we have to get to the root of the problem which 99% of the time is not a tuning related problem (I have the evo mapping down cold at this point). In this case it was an exhuast issue holding back the power. That is really the main thrust of my thread.

If you don't want to accept the conclusions I have drawn from this testing at least you can hopefully accept that this car was using an exhaust "SYSTEM" (system meaning including the high flow cat and 02 housing) which was not operating up to its potential

The main result for me was to difinitively and conclusively determine that the customer's exhaust was THE problem. Its great to have a Buschur exhuast on han to use just for that purpose as a testing tool as most customers are just as misdirected was yourself to assume that a goo exhuast can only make a few whp gain. As we saw in this case that was not accurate.

A good 30% of my customers run high flow cats and these kind of e bay china made products in their exhuast - these results should be a wake up call for those customers

I will be testing more cars with this Buschur V Band unit going forward

Last edited by DynoFlash; Feb 18, 2007 at 12:35 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

I can appreciate what al is trying to do here, and it's more than some other vendors are doing, but this was posted the wrong way. it should have never been listed as a comparison, since it's not apples to apples.
if al is going to continue to post threads like this, he knows that it will bring out lots of controversy, so he needs to make sure that it's a TRUE A vs. B comparison, not the test that is posted here. all this one does is prove that a cat is restrictive.
I believe there are a lot on the boards that are interested in this information, just needs to be done right.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Al -- You taking me up on the offer?
Old Feb 18, 2007, 12:48 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Faust
Actually in his defense HE DID STATE that the car had a Perrin Hi-Flow Cat and that when he swapped to Buschur's exhaust he put the STOCK O2 Housing back on...People seem to keep missing these little facts in their bashing posts.

I agree that this wasn't an A to B test but members here are jumbling up the facts quite a bit!

Thanks for pointing these things out

I am merely posting what I did with the car and showing what our dyno read

Those who do not agree with my conclusion are free to object

However, I note that not to many others are taking time and energy to post any dyno comparisions and give any case explanations on what happens when we see a weak car and how we correct the situation

I would have thought that this info would have been helpful to the members

I am reading an editorial in the new Turbo Magaine which discussses the culture of car related chat forums, it is sad that what they are saying is true in large part.

Many tuner shops do not even waste time to share any data on the public internet forums for just these reasons.

If you don't agree with my conclusions, I welcome your reasons to disagree. What is not welcome - at least by myself - are insults, rude comments and attacks.

Remember all you so called exhuast experts, I already went 9.98 with my standard Buschur 3" off the shelf turbo back exhaust in my Evo - I know first han how important a great exhuast design is
Old Feb 18, 2007, 12:51 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by cij911
Al -- You taking me up on the offer?
PM me your contact info an a full list of mods and tuning details on your car - I have to coordinate with Jimmy at The Shop tomorrow to make sure he is ready to do another one so quickly an to arrange when he will have a lift available (we only have two lifts) I am sure we can get yours in depending on how flexable you are with scheduling.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

PM me your contact info an a full list of mods and tuning details on your car - I have to coordinate with Jimmy at The Shop tomorrow to make sure he is ready to do another one so quickly an to arrange when he will have a lift available (we only have two lifts) I am sure we can get yours in depending on how flexable you are with scheduling.
Al, if you are doing another one of this A/B test, please include the boost and AFR for both plots
Old Feb 18, 2007, 01:58 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by yellow04
the thing i love about this whole thing... is.........

WE own 30+ thousand dollar cars.. and lots of people are *****ing about paying $825 shipped to your door. for a tbe. what a joke..

my last car. 04 gto. a full exhaust with cats would cost. $1800+ the set up i wanted. was $1972 + shipping. almost another $100.

so as you can see, 825 shipped is way the hell better than 2k.

i orderd my buschur tbe last week. cant wait to get it!!

why pay more if u dont have too? im sure u complain when gas goes up a nickle, when if u think about it its only costing you 65 cents more to fill up....
Old Feb 18, 2007, 02:04 PM
Former Sponsor

maybe you guys should knocking our choice of product.

other vendors use to be able to complain about you... you were doing flash's for 350-400 using your program, while others were forced to use ecutek and pay 700 for a flash.

they both do the same thing and ecutek from my research is suppose to be just a little bit better. is it 300-350$ better no..

same concept.

Quick Reply: Buschur vs Ebay Exhuast Test Results - Round 1