Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Yokohama Advan Sport Radial 235/45-17

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2007, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yokohama Advan Sport Radial 235/45-17

Just replaced my completely worn out A046's with the Advan Sport. So far my impressions are very favorable. My Evo is a daily driver and the first thing I noticed is how well these tires absorb small road irregularities and how much quieter they are. It's a little hard to judge how they would compare to new Advan A046's because mine had 15K miles on them and 2 30 minute HPDE sessions but I believe these are considerably smoother than the stock tires. So far handling seems on par with the stock rubber but I'll agree the sidewalls feel a little less stiff but I think the increased comfort makes up for the slight decrease in sidewall firmness. Grip feels as good as the stock rubber. Since my car spends most of the time one the street I think I've made a great decision. Currently running 35psi front 32psi rear and very impressed. I'll jump back on here in 1000 miles and do a follow up. Also the tread design looks like it will do well in wet conditions and I'll follow up with that as well.
Old Mar 3, 2007, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the input! Can't wait to hear what you have to say in 1000 miles!
Old Mar 13, 2007, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Today was the first day of getting to drive with these tires on wet pavement. I believe they are a step up from the A046's in the wet. I had my children with me so I wasnt able to go crazy with them but I did push a little and did do some hard accelleration and they were still sticking like glue. These tires have great grip. Hopefully it will still be wet this evening and maybe I'll have some other comments. I have around 500 miles on them and they still feel smooth and handle road irregularies excellent. Dry grip is still similar to the A046 which means that the track would be necessary to tell just how good they are.

Side note: Forgot to mention this in my earlier review - These tires dont have a typical "boy toy" "tuner" tread pattern and some people may be turned off by the look of the tread pattern. they have deep / wide rain grooves that appear like they would be functional but today it wasnt a downpour, the roads were just wet and it was misting, I'm anxious to see how they perform when it is really raining hard and the streets have alot of water which is normally a regular occcurance down here.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

what was the price diff? i was thinking about prematurely swapping my ao4's due to the crappy road noise being mines a daily driver too. thanx for your input
Old Apr 14, 2007, 10:02 PM
Evolved Member

Update?
Old Apr 20, 2007, 12:05 PM
Evolving Member

Update!!!! And how much change did you save?
Old Apr 20, 2007, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=264366
Old Apr 20, 2007, 03:36 PM
Evolving Member

lol why did you link to a poll asking for tire size recommendations?
Old Jun 10, 2007, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

Okay, time for the 5K mile update. Sorry for the delay guys. I'm absolutely in love with these tires. Yes the sidewalls are softer than the A046's - noticeable. These are not track tires but they are the best damned street tires I've driven on and in my opinion they make the Evo a much more likeable car. The grip is as good or better than the A046's (dry and wet) and my Evo rides like a BMW instead of a go cart. This might not appeal to the crowd who want a stiff kidney jarring ride. I've had the chance to A/B the Sports vs the A046's back to back while tuning a friend's car and the ride quality positives far outweigh the slightly less responsive sidewall. Tire wear appears to be better than the A046's and they still ride just as smooth as the day I got them and handling is the same as new, something that cannot be said about the OEM tires. At 5K miles the OEM's felt a little "square" in the mornings and it seemed like the rubber compound was harder as the tread went down - not so with the sports. I dont know who gave these tires a negative review but they must have been very narrow minded because these tires are the poop for street cars.

Grip *****
Ride *****
Responsiveness ****
Wear *****
Price ****
Wet *****
Appearance *** (they have a basic tread pattern, nothing BLING about them)
Noise ***** (may not be objective, I have Concept G Blue - LOUD)

Last edited by Mr. Evo IX; Jun 10, 2007 at 06:33 AM.
Old Jun 10, 2007, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by urslo4n8
what was the price diff?
how much was the difference in the cost of the tires?
Old Jun 10, 2007, 12:24 PM
Evolving Member

Tire Rack lists $282.00 each for A046 and $193.00 each for Sport.
That's a difference of $89 each and $356 for a set.

Thanks for the review.
I'll probably be getting these tires soon.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

18,000 mile update.

These tires are the bomb. Most of my miles are in-town daily driver, thousands of pulls and hard cornering on the streets. These are the ultimate in daily driver R-compounds. Will take pic of tread left but I believe they will go 24K before they hit the wear bars. Amazing tire - too bad one persons review left these tires in the dust. They seem to be getting better with age as far as grip goes. My car makes 350whp and these tires are quiet and grippy. What more could anyone ask. Will buy again for sure.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

Pics.. Note all miles on both sets are spirited daily driver miles with occaisional dragstrip and the A046's did have 2 HPDE sessions on them.. hence the shoulder wear.

First up my 15K mile A046's - spent but on a extra set of rims for a future HPDE.

Now, here's the Sports with 19K miles. They have more tread than they appear to have... maybe 3/32" to 1/8" from the bars. Also, when I see threads of people touting the RT615 as a grippy tire I just have to laugh - RT615's are not grippy at all, in fact they scare me. These tires are very grippy and they actually have decent ride quality and awesome wet capabilty. I actually have difficulty getting these tires to break loose at all at reasonable speeds. If you drive your Evo daily on the street then this is the tire I recommend and they are cost effective if you rotate. If your looking for an uber stiff track tire then look elsewhere but.. you wouldnt be looking at these anyhow.

Last edited by Mr. Evo IX; Oct 8, 2008 at 08:02 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Ive had these in a 235/40/18 on my Ultraleggerras for over a year now. That only about 1500 mi tho. I like them alot aswell. Great street tire. Great spirited driving aswell but not a HPDE tire. Highly recommended for the street and DDs.