Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

CAUTION: Please read before going to Tuning Technologies

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2007, 04:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it's understandable that projects can take longer than expected, however 2 MONTHS when quoted 5-6 days is excessive. I've had this situation happen to me in the past (not this bad) but at least the shop communicated with me through the process. To make threats, dodge calls, cry on the phone(?!), bad mouth the customer to other people, etc is unbelievable.

If taking longer than quoted on projects is the norm in this industry, maybe this should be communicated to the customer before taking on the project to make sure that both parties are on the same page. Or here's a concept, why not quote them a longer time? If you finish early, you smell like roses. If unexpected delays come up (as they often do), you have given yourself a buffer time to get it resolved. I think shops are so hard up to get the business and get the car in that they quote the customer a time they can't deliver on.
Old Mar 17, 2007, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Glad I took time to quote a job that had absolutely no intention of coming to us.............

You are spending $30,000+ for set up and coaching on this project? You have got to be freaking kidding me right?!
Old Mar 17, 2007, 07:17 PM
Account Disabled

I want to sign up as a coach and I will discount the rate 500%
Old Mar 17, 2007, 08:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Glad I took time to quote a job that had absolutely no intention of coming to us.............

You are spending $30,000+ for set up and coaching on this project? You have got to be freaking kidding me right?!
LOVE the signature btw . You should put that on Nasioc as well, those guys will nag/whine/argue about the color of red given a chance. :P
Old Mar 18, 2007, 12:08 AM
Evolving Member

its cool that he took the time to write the whole thing as it happened but in resume he just wanted an honest answer. like if jen wouldve said that it will be done in two months he could probabbly just say "oh....ok let me do some stuff i have to do and ill be back" and just check the rest of the tuning shops and could see whats the best shop with the better time or more honest answer
i had my car tuned with RRE and they did great, everything as promised.....late at night, but the day they told me not a day more.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 09:34 AM
Evolving Member

some shops needs to check them self time to time like TT since there big headed for realsssss.....lol.....if someone fucted up on my Evo they will get it for sure.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Pruven
Since we are in the same situation with a customer at this paticular moment, I would like to share a few things about these types of situations. You absolutely cannot take into account problems that may arise and depending on the level of complication will depend on the time frame needed to remedy the situation. I will use the car that this thread is about exclusivly as an example.

When the AEM was draining the battery, you probably don't realize that it didn't take 2 minutes to figure it. It takes time to figure it out and who knows how long. Anyway you look at it, it needed to be diagnosed and that eats into the work schedule. More than likely you didn't get an extra labor charge to take care of it either. From diagnosing, to removing it, to boxing it, to going to ship it, etc... All of it costs the shop time and time is money. Even if you did get charged, it still takes time and that what I think your biggest problem with this shop is. I understand you had to make some moves to contact AEM, but it is your car and it's your part that caused a problem. You didn't hire the shop to fix your AEM, just to install it. If they did have to do all the extra footwork then you car would be there even longer as this takes time

Now we'll look at when the part arrived. The moment the UPS man dropped it off, I'm sure the shop didn't rip open the package and install it. That's because they weren't waiting around for it. They are a business trying to survive and satisfy other customers by working on other appointments. The shop cannot stop functioning untill your part arrives, and when it does arrive, then the shop resumes. They would go out of business if this were the case. Trust me, the bills for the shop don't get put on pause because your car had problems. As soon as they finished their other appointments and had a chance to do it, I'm sure they they did. They can't just wait around to only work on your car. I wish we had that luxury. You have to realize a shop wants your car out of their place more than the owner of the car does. A car in a shop doing nothing is just a liability for many reasons and it's certainly not being profitable. I wish it could be different.

Same thing goes for missing, broken, or ill fitting parts. Things need to be replaced, fixed, fabricated, sent out, or ordered to remedy these types of problems. All of which take time that cuts into your job, along with cutting into the other appointments that were there before and after your car arrived. It's just a domino effect at times and everyone is affected, including the shop. By no means am I defending anyone here as I don't know any specific facts, just stating how a business like this runs at times. If every job went as planned, then everything could be calculated to the dollar and to the minute. However, life in general does not go entirly as planned and we just need to deal with it.

As a joke, maybe shops should offer insuance, so if there are delays and added costs, you could have a stadby 24 hour strike team to get the job done no matter if the earth burns up due to global warming, LOL! I really hope this enlightens people as to what goes on in these small business's from time to time with delays.

In the closing, the last thing a shops wants is unhappy customers, bad mouthing like this, and the added stress of the whole situation. It affects the shop mentally, physically, and financially in many ways.

Thanks for taking the time to read this,

Dan @ Pruven
i totally agree with you, and i know you are not taking sides but 8 weeks is excessive when i was quoted 5-6 days. but it would of been okay if there was some sort of communication. but to be honest with you, what i wrote is g-rated- and i personally know one of there mechanics and i will tell you that there was not the effort you are referring to. i own a few businesses and trust me i would of not wasted my time if this was not a legitimate reason and if i did not get tossed around.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bimmubishi
I think that you should relax, have a beer and let the shop do their work without you calling them every day. I can see their side of the story. You're in a hurry and your impatience is going to cause them to cut corners. I would be very pissed off if you called my cell phone at night to confirm an appointment BEFORE anything had even gone wrong.

if you would of been very pissed off at me calling you on your off time than you should of kept your word, especially when it is an appointment for the next day in the morning.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 05WickedWhitey
lol wow you are on evo m also , your fingers must hurt from all the typing .. Hope it all works out for ya man..
copy and paste
Old Mar 18, 2007, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOSlayer
I think it's understandable that projects can take longer than expected, however 2 MONTHS when quoted 5-6 days is excessive. I've had this situation happen to me in the past (not this bad) but at least the shop communicated with me through the process. To make threats, dodge calls, cry on the phone(?!), bad mouth the customer to other people, etc is unbelievable.

If taking longer than quoted on projects is the norm in this industry, maybe this should be communicated to the customer before taking on the project to make sure that both parties are on the same page. Or here's a concept, why not quote them a longer time? If you finish early, you smell like roses. If unexpected delays come up (as they often do), you have given yourself a buffer time to get it resolved. I think shops are so hard up to get the business and get the car in that they quote the customer a time they can't deliver on.
absolutely!!! i did not expect them to finish in 5-6 days but 8 weeks with no communication of reason, is ridiculous!!!
Old Mar 18, 2007, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by binh
cliff notes?
+1.

If you want to warn people make it shorter.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur

quit your *****ing!!! half the products on my car are from you anyhow!!! i am constantly answer pm's about your product because i am constantly talking great about your stuff on the forums, so maybe if you pay me commission on that i will consider paying you for your coaching.
(before someone thinks i am starting crap, this is just being sarcastic!)
Old Mar 18, 2007, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DynoFlash
I want to sign up as a coach and I will discount the rate 500%
since you jumped into my thread like buschur's butt hair, i guess my response to you is- from what i read it seems like you will need to discount your coaching a lot more than that.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hotrod2448
+1.

If you want to warn people make it shorter.

this is more for people that know tuning tech here in socal, those people are the ones that are going to really be reading this and actually caring. but for someone that has no clue who they are, you are right it is way to long. that is why the warning!
Old Mar 18, 2007, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
In that case socalmr, I take it back With screen names I have no idea who you are. If your name was up there I would have looked it up before commenting. It would have been cool of you though to let me know why you were asking me how long it would take us to do the job. Not a big deal and I wasn't make a big deal out of you asking me nor was I *****ing.

Still, $30,000 for coaching and set up? Dude, that's rediculous. Why don't you talk to Fuller, he's in your area. He'd coach you if you just bought some suspension from him. I'd bet he'd be glad to just help you. I am not trying to cut the other guys out but if you are seriously paying for coaching and set up you are getting boned in my opinion. Maybe I don't know the entire story. Maybe that is to cover travel expenses, hotels, etc. Seems odd to me from the brief mention you made of it.

Quick Reply: CAUTION: Please read before going to Tuning Technologies