Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

AEM Tru-Boost review

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2009, 06:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i will have to check my settings but i know my A is set to 59.. i think my spring is about 11.2 but i will check..
Old Mar 13, 2009, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Spirit evo 8 MR
hey i have a little problem.. seems that i can not get my aem tru boost programed right, ether spring press. is too high or too low causes car to over boost in third gear, when stepped on, but is normal when driving easy.. i have spring press set on 11.0 points, boost setting is A48. sometimes the gauge reading jumps all the way to the 23-24 PSI maybe more and then drops down and holds around 18-19 psi, sometimes 20psi, as you see i am kinda new with this stuff so any help will be appreciated. thanks ahead of time...

Make sure that if you reused the stock lines that you removed the boost restrictor pills which will make you spike and taper.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 02:55 PM
Evolving Member

Just to add to this review, I've finally installed the 3bar map sensor and confirmed that this gauge is pretty accurate.

Checking my max boost vs the 3bar on evoscan.
the aem read 15.8 while evoscan read 15.75. Accurate enough for me.

Will continue to compare the 2 as i boost, but thats pretty close
Old Apr 24, 2009, 04:37 PM
Evolving Member

hooked mine up last night, I ended up having my duty cycle at 52%, and my crack pressure at 11.5 to give me about 19-20psi tapering to 17-18psi.
easy install
Old Jun 16, 2009, 09:13 AM
Evolving Member

how do u dial in the gain? i havent installed mine but i was hoping to run 22-23 lbs taper to 21. Stock wastegate, anyone willng to let me know wat they have the gain, duty cycle, and crack pressure at if they r close to my target to help cut down on the testing i'd appreciate it.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 12:53 AM
Evolving Member

to bring this back from the dead.....the only way i can boost 24 psi is by setting my duty cycle to 30 and crack pressure to 8. Is this normal? i cannot see how people are using such high duty cycles such at 65, and crack pressure anywhere close to stock. i tried having my crack pressure at 11 and duty cycle to 60 and immediately let off as i saw my boost go to 28psi which is way above 24. wtf?
Old Dec 5, 2009, 10:44 PM
Evolved Member

i love mine...had it for 2 years now.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 02:46 PM

these are nice,had 1 in the gsx.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Where the hell do I wire the solenoid?

Do I splice it in with the Black and Red power wires or is there something else happening. AEM instructions are not very clear and Howto section here and internet does not mention it, what the hell!

Need help on that part.

Last edited by BluEVOIX; Dec 19, 2009 at 06:30 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BluEVOIX
Where the hell do I wire the solenoid?

Do I splice it in with the Black and Red power wires or is there something else happening. AEM instructions are not very clear and Howto section here and internet does not mention it, what the hell!

Need help on that part.
OMG if your actually reading the instructions, it says what to do in the FIRST PARAGRAPH of "INSTALLING THE BOOST GUAGE"

http://www.aempower.com/images/produ...%2030-4350.pdf

"Installing the Gauge
The AEM Tru Boost boost controller gauge requires a standard 2 1/16” (52MM)
mounting hole and can be mounted in a flat panel or most standard gauge pods. The
included cable contains two wire bundles and a 5-pin connector. The 5-pin connector
connects to a mating 5-pin connector on the back of the gauge. See Figure 2. Connect
the black and red wires in the long 2-wire bundle to the leads from the boost solenoid.
Polarity does not matter. Connect the black wire from the 5-wire bundle to a good
ground. Connect the 2 red wires to a fused, switched, +12Vdc power source. The gray
wire is an optional low side driver output. The orange wire is an optional scramble
boost input. The orange and gray wires do not need to be connected for the gauge to
function."
Old Dec 21, 2009, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boostedwrx
OMG if your actually reading the instructions, it says what to do in the FIRST PARAGRAPH of "INSTALLING THE BOOST GUAGE"

http://www.aempower.com/images/produ...%2030-4350.pdf

"Installing the Gauge
The AEM Tru Boost boost controller gauge requires a standard 2 1/16” (52MM)
mounting hole and can be mounted in a flat panel or most standard gauge pods. The
included cable contains two wire bundles and a 5-pin connector. The 5-pin connector
connects to a mating 5-pin connector on the back of the gauge. See Figure 2. Connect
the black and red wires in the long 2-wire bundle to the leads from the boost solenoid.
Polarity does not matter. Connect the black wire from the 5-wire bundle to a good
ground. Connect the 2 red wires to a fused, switched, +12Vdc power source. The gray
wire is an optional low side driver output. The orange wire is an optional scramble
boost input. The orange and gray wires do not need to be connected for the gauge to
function."
I saw that. But what was confusing me is do I splice it in? Now I know I have to splice it in.

The wire pictured on the manual is slightly different than mine because they have the spliced section, mine does not. Instead of connecting the wires in my case I have to splice.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

Alright installed the gauge. But I cant control boost.

I am running AGP wastegate with 17-18 psi spring.

Ok so no matter what I adjust it to I'm boosting 29+ psi. Wastegate pressure I set it to 17 and also tried lowering it down to 5 with no change. Also I've adjusted the duty cycle down to 10% and still no change.

And on top of it all, when I switch over to off, it still runs the same over boost.

Any one else have an issue like this? Would this mean the solenoid is bad?
Old Dec 27, 2009, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

Here is a picture of my setup:

1st picture shows digram from AEM. Notice the split ''Y'' from the connected wire.
2nd Picture is what I actually have. Notice 2 separate wires, no spliced "Y".
3rd Picture shows how I have it hooked up. Basically spliced in.

Old Dec 28, 2009, 06:46 AM
Evolving Member

I would have to look at my harness when I get home cuz I dont remember having to splice anything. But I'll check when I get home.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hooked both switched, fused connections up to a single power wire from my deck.

Quick Reply: AEM Tru-Boost review