Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Vishnu tuned by Shiv- with Dyno charts - and guess my MPG!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2007, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update on my tune. Thank you, DTM.

Big time update. See below.
First off, when I saw Shiv after test driving my car post-tune, I wanted to give that man a hug.

Now, onto why I wanted to give that man a hug: No more part throttle turbo surge! How about boost coming on much lower, like 200ft-lbs or greater starting at 2600rpm? Just the night-and-day improvement in part-throttle smoothness/ eliminating surge and the early useful torque would have been worth the price.

On top of that, I got an observed 27.5MPG at a cruise speed of about 75mph with many wide open runs, compared to 22.3MPG on my trip up to NJ.

Of course, the really fun stuff is in the dyno charts. So we're clear as crystal, the only mods on the car are the ebay SSautochrome 3" TBE and a Perrin High Flow Cat. No fuel pump, no intake, no pipes, no BOV, absolutely nothing.

Interesting notes:
1. 262whp base (avg. stock 9 shows up with 255whp on this dyno), 287whp after ebay TBE and Perrin HFC, all on a Dynomite load bearing dyno at Atlantic MotorSports. after Shiv's tune: 339.5whp, 320.4ft-lbs.

2. 300whp or greater from 5200rpm to fuel cut off, just prior to 7800rpm.

3. 250ft-lbs or greater from 2900rpm to 6800rpm.

4. I threw in the Turbotrix dyno chart too for reference. That's the only one that shows the car's performance all the way to fuel cut. You'll see that the two dynos read and corrected my car very similarly, particularly for the baseline.

I spent probably too much money just for dyno runs to ease my mind; so, I hope that other folks with 9's, and 8's at that, find this useful when they're trying to decide who to go with when it comes to tuning. Let's stop being nice here and be real: why get other components (assorted IC pipes, intakes, BOVs, O2 housings, et. all) that often significantly reduce your reliability and performance? The OEM stuff apparently works quite well; it's up to your tuner to make it work to its potential.

Having a short mod list is important to me for the sake of reliability; knowing that the exhaust is the only component I can't replace with OEM parts, not throwing CELs, and being emissions legal really eases my mind.

Update

Take a look at the Mustang Dyno plot.
Mod list: Perrin DP, Perrin HFC, Perrin CBE, that's it. (I sold the ebay exhaust - didn't fit the rear diffuser)

Now, a little backstory - today, 9Sep07, DTM Motorsport had an end of summer BBQ. They offered a $40 dyno run, and that's all I planned on doing. But they were also doing a $70 dyno tune special, so I figured that if they could improve the tune, why not? So, I paid my $70 up front and basically put Nick to the challegne - if you can make it better, then by all means do so. If you can't, then I pay only $40 for just plain ole dyno runs.

The result - the car had a knock count of 25 at 3500rpm for starters. Nick then pointed out 5 other specific places that had knock counts of 7-9. Additionally, there was no low-octane map.

Anyways, 4 pulls/ tunes later, here's the bottom line:
0 knock counts
peak #'s: +7whp, +4tq (again, Mustang dyno)
aprox -20tq at 3000rpm

In order to get that 0 knock count, Nick pulled a large amount of timing down low. That of course translates to the significant drop of tq as depicted on the chart. Honestly, that's fine. I wanted a tune that did not trade performance for reliability. So that 0 count is a big plus. Also, average power and tq from 2500- 7000 is down 4 and 5, respectively. However, from 4000rpm and greater, average power and tq is up. And that is where the motor operates when I'm on the road course, so that's welcome news.

On the subjective side, I can definitely feel the drop in tq down low. And I'm not gonna lie, I can't feel the 7whp up top. But I can tell that the motor operates more smoothly, as unscientific and generic as that is. Objectively, though, the high resolution screen at the shop (that isn't reflected in the print-out I snapped a picture of) showed how the "after" plot was significantly smoother than the "before" plot.

Mike, Nick, Jordan - looking forward to working with you in the future.
Attached Thumbnails Vishnu tuned by Shiv-  with Dyno charts - and guess my MPG!-kenyevo9stock.gif   Vishnu tuned by Shiv-  with Dyno charts - and guess my MPG!-kenyevo9ex.gif   Vishnu tuned by Shiv-  with Dyno charts - and guess my MPG!-amsbbqaftertune.jpg   Vishnu tuned by Shiv-  with Dyno charts - and guess my MPG!-ttrixtune.jpg   Vishnu tuned by Shiv-  with Dyno charts - and guess my MPG!-cimg1404-edited-.jpg  

Last edited by CleverUserName; Sep 11, 2007 at 04:29 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2007, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

those are some sick gains with only tbe and tune... and to think thats a cheap *** tbe!! As long as it fits i guess its a good deal. Your car must be a blast to drive.
Old Apr 29, 2007, 01:20 PM
Evolving Member

Very nice.
Old Apr 29, 2007, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CleverUserName
First off, when I saw Shiv after test driving my car post-tune, I wanted to give that man a hug.

Now, onto why I wanted to give that man a hug: No more part throttle turbo surge! How about boost coming on much lower, like 200ft-lbs or greater starting at 2600rpm? Just the night-and-day improvement in part-throttle smoothness/ eliminating surge and the early useful torque would have been worth the price.

On top of that, I got an observed 27.5MPG at a cruise speed of about 75mph with many wide open runs, compared to 22.3MPG on my trip up to NJ.

Of course, the really fun stuff is in the dyno charts. So we're clear as crystal, the only mods on the car are the ebay SSautochrome 3" TBE and a Perrin High Flow Cat. No fuel pump, no intake, no pipes, no BOV, absolutely nothing.

Interesting notes:
1. 262whp base (avg. stock 9 shows up with 255whp on this dyno), 287whp after ebay TBE and Perrin HFC, all on a Dynomite load bearing dyno at Atlantic MotorSports. after Shiv's tune: 339.5whp, 320.4ft-lbs.

2. 300whp or greater from 5200rpm to fuel cut off, just prior to 7800rpm.

3. 250ft-lbs or greater from 2900rpm to 6800rpm.

4. I threw in the Turbotrix dyno chart too for reference. That's the only one that shows the car's performance all the way to fuel cut. You'll see that the two dynos read and corrected my car very similarly, particularly for the baseline.

I spent probably too much money just for dyno runs to ease my mind; so, I hope that other folks with 9's, and 8's at that, find this useful when they're trying to decide who to go with when it comes to tuning. Let's stop being nice here and be real: why get other components (assorted IC pipes, intakes, BOVs, O2 housings, et. all) that often significantly reduce your reliability and performance? The OEM stuff apparently works quite well; it's up to your tuner to make it work to its potential.

Having a short mod list is important to me for the sake of reliability; knowing that the exhaust is the only component I can't replace with OEM parts, not throwing CELs, and being emissions legal really eases my mind.
I know what you mean Nuttin but a TBE for me(no cat!).

Congrats

Last edited by meanmud; Apr 30, 2007 at 05:48 AM.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 05:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
yeh I saw your car getting dyno and couldn't believe when I saw the # after the tune. My friend ( with yellow Evo ) had to change everything from Cams to full TBE w/ a test pipe just to get close to your #s ...

Still keeping my 8 tho .

Come racing with us @ Lime Rock this August. Check out www.Evo-ny.com for the info ...
Old Apr 30, 2007, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letMeIn
yeh I saw your car getting dyno and couldn't believe when I saw the # after the tune. My friend ( with yellow Evo ) had to change everything from Cams to full TBE w/ a test pipe just to get close to your #s ...

Still keeping my 8 tho .

Come racing with us @ Lime Rock this August. Check out www.Evo-ny.com for the info ...
yo, what's happening man? heck yeah i'm coming out to Lime Rock. my goal is to break people off in an evo that consists of strictly 3 mods: exhaust (with cat), vishnu tune, and a corner-weighted coilover set up, just to prove that you don't mountains of money or a long mod list to seriously thrash in an evo. i can't wait. though, on second thought, i get the feeling that the coilovers won't be necessary for a long time until i stop sucking at driving.

Last edited by CleverUserName; Apr 30, 2007 at 05:24 PM.
Old May 1, 2007, 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

Great number you got there considering almost no modifications on the car. BTW, still waiting for the video Shoot me a PM if you lost my email address
Old May 2, 2007, 04:59 AM
Evolved Member

What tuning program was Shiv using?
Old May 2, 2007, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

oops

Originally Posted by Bexa20
Great number you got there considering almost no modifications on the car. BTW, still waiting for the video Shoot me a PM if you lost my email address

hey man, i'll get that to you tonight, sorry about that
Old May 2, 2007, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Pegasus
What tuning program was Shiv using?
you'll have to ask him. there are no hardware changes to the ECU. just a flash.
Old May 2, 2007, 11:42 AM
Evolving Member

Numbers look good.

I was noticing the HP numbers are in Standard, anyways of getting coreected HP numbers. Either way they look good, just call it curiosity...
Old May 2, 2007, 08:46 PM
Evolving Member

holy crap! thats awesome man....
Old May 3, 2007, 03:59 AM
Evolved Member

I just noticed your torque comes on pretty dam early - I don't think mine was hitting full until equal-distant above 3500 rpms
Old May 3, 2007, 04:01 AM
Evolved Member

wow

repeat
Old May 3, 2007, 04:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by meanmud
I just noticed your torque comes on pretty dam early - I don't think mine was hitting full until equal-distant above 3500 rpms
but seeing your results makes me wonder about what she'll do without a cat.

Quick Reply: Vishnu tuned by Shiv- with Dyno charts - and guess my MPG!