Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Why SLS (Straight Line Specialties) should be avoided

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2007, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs down Stay the hell away from SLS (straight line specialities)

I kept it to myself because I am a very nice guy and hate to ruin a vendor but I am exploding of anger. I ordered a 02 housing for my car from SLS back in February. The part was a custom built 02 housing and it looks good on picture, little I knew this part was never even put ever into a car just to check the fittment.

You would assume that if you are paying $285(tax and shipping included) there will be no doubt that you would get a perfect fit and best quality to justify the excess of price, again little I knew I was going in the wrong direction.

So far, I told you guys about the price(very expensive) but lets move into the customer service. Should I call this customer service? Cmon, it was a lie after a lie after a lie. I called them over the phone because once you place your order the website gives you a note that says ships ususally between 2-5 days but this is the catch, you wouldn't see this note until you already input your credit card digits. Basicly the same crap that many vendors do to get you to buy the part just to find out that they don't even have it in stock.

One week pass by, two weeks pass by and I am calling them patiently. I talked to one of their customer service representatives and he claims that my part already shipped. Day after day I kept looking for the part on my door but nothing. I kept calling and they come with all kind of excuses until I finally got one dissapointing answer but at least a true answer, they informed me that it takes a couple of days to build this o2 housings because they are hand made and that it will ship shortly.

On the 4th week of calling and waiting, I explained to one of the guys that I am really feedup of waiting and that I would like my money back. They magicly sent me an e-mail with a track/invoice from a different vendor(Extremepsi).

ExtermePSI ultimately had to ship the part to me which got me in a timely manner(extremePSI) are a topnotch vendor that really takes care of the issues.

Well, here is the final part of the history, the part finally arrive at or around the 30th or 31st day after ordering it. Ironically the part came from a distribuitor/vendor that carries SLS products at a much lesser price, in reality I could have had the part about 3 weeks earlier for about $40 cheaper.

The part arrived and because I was on a 12 hour shifts I ended having a shop installing the part. The shop called me and say that the part would not fit and that the 02 sensor hits the block. SLS did not even bothered to test the part as a mock-up on a car, I guess they went by the looks.

The shop had to put a plug on the 02 housing so that I could at least drive home.
My latest update is that up to today I am still having massive boost leaks between the 02 housing and the downpipe. Ironically I never had a single boost leak using my stock o2 housing. I am working as we speak to remove my 02 housing and take it to a shop to resurface the 02 hosuing as I strongly believe the part is worped.

You guys might have the option to belive me or disregard my comments but I am a extremely serious guy with a lot of integrity, I wouldn't come out here to talk smack for no reason.

I am sure I am just speaking for the tip of the iceberg but at least let me give you the benefit of my experience, just keep it in mind. I just read a post this morning from Scorke and his $1000 issue and that is what trigered my reaction. I know Scorke is another reliable member of this forum and that makes two independent reliable members having the similar issue.

Thanks for reading guys!

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Apr 28, 2007 at 01:11 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2007, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice, I saw you reading Tanner,..respond! =o
Old Apr 28, 2007, 12:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That sucks, been hearing more and more bad things about 'em.
Old Apr 28, 2007, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wrx2evo- Thanks for putting this post up, it's getting to the point now where I am going to take legal action, maybe even alert the authorities out there in North Dakota about these crooks.

I am sorry to hear about your troubles, it seems along with me there is another guy out there about 1k out of pocket as well due to a manifold and o2 housing he never received.

Scorke
Old Apr 28, 2007, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

It is now 1pm Tucson time and I just finished removing my header, and 02 housing. During the course of the last 4-6 weeks) I tried 4 different gaskets so far and they all leak from the same place. I put of the best gaskets you can put on a car(Greddy) and still leaks.

Me and Evo9girl just did a test that confirmed my theory. I did 3 different seal fittment test by putiing some thin coat of oil and other semi liquid on the perimeter of the 02 housing where it mets the downpipe.

I lay down the o2 housing on different flat surfaces like a glass table and I put some printer paper on the botom. I just confirmed that the $285 o2 housing is worped.

It is very clear that it is not my Buschur Racing downpipe because the downpipe and stock 02 housing never leaked before.

I am in the process of taking some pictures to illustrated the few issues I encountered. When you guys get to see that my 02 sensor will not fit/clear by at least 1.5" you will trip.

Carlos
Old Apr 28, 2007, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by scorke
wrx2evo- Thanks for putting this post up, it's getting to the point now where I am going to take legal action, maybe even alert the authorities out there in North Dakota about these crooks.

I am sorry to hear about your troubles, it seems along with me there is another guy out there about 1k out of pocket as well due to a manifold and o2 housing he never received.

Scorke

Scorke,

As usual, I have not only the late e-mail from SLS, but also the invoice, the pictures and the phone call records. Just let me know if you need my statements,feedback or whatever.

Carlos
Old Apr 29, 2007, 01:02 AM
Evolved Member

Ok might be needed in the process of filing it with the BBB right now, Fargo PD hasn't been contacted yet but will on monday.

It's not right to take peoples money and not give it back when your a vendor, let alone anyone. It really is sad this stuff happens.

Scorke
Old Apr 30, 2007, 09:07 PM
Evolved Member

This is another update. Today is Monday and it is 9pm Tucson time. I suspected the worst, the o2 hosuing is worped in both sides (the side that meets the downpipe and the side that mets the turbo).

The gaskets left me a big clue/hint with their at least 1.25" black smoke gas inprints from the exhaust leak, the shop today just confirmed what I suspected.

I took the 02 hosuing to a fabrication shop and they put the part on a granite table and the part is bent. Additionally they tested the thickness in various points and still read different readings.
They explained me that this is a comun flaw on the welding industry but it is overlook because typically in construction the tolerance isn't as tight but on a turbocar holding to metals and a gasket could/will cause a massive leak.

I will have a official fabrication shop receipt/bills to demonstrate one more time what I am saying is true.

In case you are reading this and you are lost:

Ordered a o2 housing that took one month to delivery
Vendor was a liar about my part being shipped
Vendor charged $40 over other vendors price
o2 housing was never bench tested for fitment, o2 sensors hits the water line
o2 hosuing is worped in both sides,it leaks vastly
so far I paid $150 ish for a shop to install it(the I removed it myself)
I will have to pay for a fabrication shop to fix the worpage
My car has been sitting on stands for 2 days
I spent $20 so far in 3 gaskets for dowpipe and turbo(they all leaked)
A different vendor had to step up and save SLS a$$ and sent me the part
My time, my phone calls, my trips to the dealer,having to ride the motorcycle to work..simply too much hassle for something overpaid

Veredict: Stay away from this vendor!!

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Apr 30, 2007 at 09:21 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorry to hear that man. Hope you get everything resolved.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

^^^ Thanks. Fortunately I have other means of transportation and also the means and capability to take care of the issue in my garage.

I insist, any vendor MUST bench test the parts for fittment or ensure the fittment has been done by QA.

Carlos
Old May 1, 2007, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
Vendor was a liar about my part being shipped
Vendor charged $40 over other vendors price
o2 housing was never bench tested for fitment, o2 sensors hits the water line
o2 hosuing is worped in both sides,it leaks vastly
so far I paid $150 ish for a shop to install it(the I removed it myself)
I will have to pay for a fabrication shop to fix the worpage
My car has been sitting on stands for 2 days
I spent $20 so far in 3 gaskets for dowpipe and turbo(they all leaked)
A different vendor had to step up and save SLS a$$ and sent me the part
My time, my phone calls, my trips to the dealer,having to ride the motorcycle to work..simply too much hassle for something overpaid

Veredict: Stay away from this vendor!!

Carlos
Damn, Carlos...all these troubles for a freakin O2 housing?
Old May 1, 2007, 07:42 AM
Account Disabled

hey fellas, one of my friends knows these guys and moved here for the town they are in. Go to http://www.fargostreet.com/forums/, go down to vendors and you wil find sls . They post there everyday and you can get in direct contact with them.
Old May 1, 2007, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

i dont understand why you guys keep on playing around with these new companies that have sucky people skills stick with BR and AMS they all make the same Top Notch stuff. for a great price.
Old May 1, 2007, 11:52 AM

I know exactly how you feel! I learned my lesson about these guys a while back on a DSM clutch. They told me that it had shipped out the day I bought it. However, it took two months to get to me because they "forgot" to tell me that it was back ordered.

Even though I live in Minot, North Dakota and it only usually takes two days of shipping to get here, I'm never buying from them again.
Old May 1, 2007, 12:00 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Spooldyou
i dont understand why you guys keep on playing around with these new companies that have sucky people skills stick with BR and AMS they all make the same Top Notch stuff. for a great price.
Very well put

Quick Reply: Why SLS (Straight Line Specialties) should be avoided