Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Forge Evo15, 1st impressions!

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2007, 08:16 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That rule of thumb looks fine.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 08:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just installed mine last week after quick shipping from TTP (THANKS!). First impression is that this DV opens a LOT faster than stock. I feel boost response much quicker between shifts. It is a little louder than stock, but I think that's just because it opens and dumps the air much faster.

I also have some driveability issues at part throttle. It seems to open too easily and the Evo bucks after losing boost. I'm on the blue spring now, so I'll switch to the red at 20-21 psi and see what happens. I'll post results.

Thanks again to TTP for a good price and quick shipping .
Old Jun 7, 2007, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Any news on the red spring installation? Want to confirm for those that are getting this DV so that they won't have to worry about part-throttle issues. . .
Old Jun 8, 2007, 05:13 AM
Evolving Member

Sorry - haven't had time to make the switch yet. I've been adjusting my driving to deal with the part-throttle issues.

I'll try to find time this weekend and post results. It will really only take 20 minutes.
Old Jun 8, 2007, 12:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's no spring or spring and shim combo that will completely eliminate the flutter.
Old Jun 8, 2007, 12:39 PM
Account Disabled

If you want a BOV that doesn't flutter, buy a stock plastic one complete with air leaks.

People just can't understand that the reason stock does not flutter is because it is designed to leak.

If you want to stop leaks, you will face part throttle flutter no matter what the valve.

Flutter means the valve is stiff enough not to leak under boost.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 05:27 AM
Evolving Member

I understand there will be some flutter. Like it was said, this is the price you pay for holding boost at higher load. The question is what combination of springs/shims will be right for each car to reduce the flutter.

UPDATE: I switched out the blue spring in my Evo15 for the red spring plus a shim and the driveability is MUCH improved. No more opening at 2 psi and jerking the car. The trade-off is a partial boost flutter that sounds a bit strange, but is almost not noticeable during daily driving.

My relative mods: TBE, MBC at 20-21, intake and full IC piping.

On a side note, I've now developed a new boost leak somewhere because this DV holds so well. It's always something...
Old Jun 16, 2007, 12:24 PM

I also just switched out the blue spring for the red one, no shims. I am currently running 22-23psi. When the bov releases under partial throttle it sounds like it is laughing at you, a little annoying. It does hold boost better at partial throttle though if you can get past that sound.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 08:43 AM
Evolving Member

^
you may have the DV backwards then.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by evoski
When the bov releases under partial throttle it sounds like it is laughing at you, a little annoying.
Open the hood and kick it's ***!!!!

I just got mine a couple days ago, car hits alot harder than with the plastic, I've got the red spring in there for my race gas map, the only thing so far I've noticed is in 5th on the highway, if I hit the gas into boost then let off quick it bucks the car, but all I have to do is push the cluctch back in for a sec to slow back down and I'm good.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 09:15 PM

I did that, its not laughing anymore.

Last edited by evoski; Jun 20, 2007 at 09:19 PM.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I've got a Forge DV (whatever one LancerShop.com sells) on my '03 Evo VIII. From the springs I have left over, I must have the blue spring in and maybe a shim or 2. I've got a Forge MBC and I'm around 24-25 psi.

I took the Evo to Watkins Glen on Monday and Tuesday, and I had a bear of a time under partial throttle, especially in the Esses (Turns 2 & 3) and Turn 5 (just after The Bus Stop). The car just kicked so much under partial throttle that it was a bit difficult to drive it smoothly, and I'm guessing that bang-bang-bang flutter can't be kind to driveline components.

I'm back there in August and September and will definitely try the red spring. Thanks for the suggestions here.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 07:13 AM
Former Sponsor

And I was looking at replacing my TurboXS with a forge. If the flutter is meant to be then my recric TurboXS valve fits the bill.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 11:11 AM
Account Disabled

TurboXS blow off valve is one of the worst we have ever tested.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I've switched in the red spring (no shims), and so far on the street flutter is non-existent. I'll report back at the end of August after another Watkins Glen encounter.

Quick Reply: Forge Evo15, 1st impressions!