Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Mellon Tuning - best E-mail tune - by far

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2007, 05:05 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
*whoosh* <--- that was the sound of your question wizzing right past me..

I don't have any problem tuning by narrowband, but wideband is preferred and especially when you have large injectors that need to be dialed in.

Originally Posted by Adamk24
Do I need to have a wideband and afr gauge to get a custom tune? I guess thats really my question.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 05:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what if I just got one of the factory replacement widebands but no afr gauge, would that setup still be optimal for tuning a mild/moderately modified car?

Part of my problem is that I bought the car with some of the parts already on it and I'm not entirely sure what has and hasn't been done, dyno flash has already *tried* to get my tune right and went down in a big heaping ball of fire... and then crashed... into an orphanage....

Question #2.0b: The injectors in my car are black with a blue top and are made by denso. Are these the stock injectors?

Question #3: Will my ecu be locked from having dyno flash work on it and if it is, is this something that you can work around?

TIA
Old Jun 12, 2007, 06:40 AM
Account Disabled

The factory replacement sensor is NB02, but as I mention before that rarely poses a problem for me.. in fact, it hasn't yet.

It's hard to say if those are stock based on the description, I would look for some part numbers on them and do a google search to be certain if that's possible.

Thus far all of the customers I've picked up from Dynoflash were locked but there's a tool to get around that and most customers have had success with it.

if you like, let's take this to a PM so we can get into more detail about your car/mods/pricing/needs etc... thanks
Old Jun 12, 2007, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Adam,

I can answer question #3. Yes it is locked.

Search on here for Malibujack and register on his site to down load an unlocker tool.

Good luck, you will not regret going with a Mellon Tune.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

My ECU was not locked after my mail in ECU flash from Al. I have been able to use Mitsulogger and ECUFlash with no difficulties.
Old Jun 13, 2007, 10:29 AM
Evolving Member

Hey Mellon, question, what kind of gains can i expect from a stock evo? HP and MPG wise? I really hate to kill the warranty on my evo 9 but i hate the mileage its getting too... so i think this would be a good compromise for me...
Old Jun 13, 2007, 04:43 PM
Account Disabled

good questions...

I don't make HP or fuel economy claims simply because every car is different and if you put a number out there people EXPECT to get it regardless of their situation (terrible octane, bad driving habbits, poor mod choices). You'll definitely notice the difference though

p.s. I don't lock the ECU with my ROM, so you'll be able to roll back to the stock ROM if you need to get some warranty work done. I seriously doubt the dealership would notice a change was done.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Yes, Mellon is the best. I'm currently getting mine tuned through him right now. His explanations on what he's changing is very clear and his turnaround times very quick (no more than a day).

Mellon, I'm thinking about getting Innovate's wideband. Will that make a significant difference on how accurately you can tune over the stock narrowband? Thanks a lot!
Old Jun 21, 2007, 05:42 PM
Account Disabled

Thanks Hien,

I don't have any problem tuning by NB02 as long as they are in good shape.. I've been at it since the early 90's However, a WB02 setup is going to give you a more precise measurement which makes it's easier to perfect the AFR. Sometimes you can find slight imperfections in the NB02 AFR once you get a WB02 setup. Also the prices these days are better than ever and you can mount them so you can keep an eye on the AFR which is great piece of mind.

Realistically though, you probably aren't going to find much more HP by getting a WB02 kit after your tune is done.

Originally Posted by Thoe99
Yes, Mellon is the best. I'm currently getting mine tuned through him right now. His explanations on what he's changing is very clear and his turnaround times very quick (no more than a day).

Mellon, I'm thinking about getting Innovate's wideband. Will that make a significant difference on how accurately you can tune over the stock narrowband? Thanks a lot!
Old Jun 22, 2007, 05:47 AM
Evolved Member

Moved. Engine management is a tech section. Please keep reviews in the review section. Thank you
Old Jun 23, 2007, 04:34 PM
Account Disabled

thanks Charles
Old Aug 25, 2007, 08:49 PM
Evolving Member

Mellon I emailed you today. Cant wait to get my first tune...Sucks I missed the TTP guys last month but I wasnt ready yet. Now I feel I am ready for a real tune
Old Aug 25, 2007, 09:39 PM

me too, i cant wait. my car is strong with just the mods. i can tell it needs cleaned up. pay pal sent.
Old Aug 25, 2007, 10:33 PM
Evolved Member

Mellon , do you do Tunes for Evos other than US spec evos ? like JDM
Old Aug 25, 2007, 11:56 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxdelta
Mellon I emailed you today. Cant wait to get my first tune...Sucks I missed the TTP guys last month but I wasnt ready yet. Now I feel I am ready for a real tune
Sorry we missed you MaxDelta. Maybe next time. Please remember we also have our own Eflash product. Your car needed a few more mods when we were tuning in person on the Alaska trip.

http://ttp-engineering.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=38

Quick Reply: Mellon Tuning - best E-mail tune - by far