Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Titek O2 Housing///First Impression vs. Ebay Housing

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2007, 06:19 PM
fid
Evolving Member

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Titek O2 Housing///First Impression vs. Ebay Housing

Hey guys, just wanted to share my first impressions of the Titek O2 Housing that I ordered from http://www.500whp.com. BTW, 500whp.com did great for me, fast shipping and great overall to deal with .

Now I don't have any dyno numbers and the part isn't on the car yet but mostly wanted to share some pics fo the quality of the unit as in comparison to the Ebay housing I have. First and foremost the quality of the two is quite different from just picking it up. You can tell the Titek unit is made of a much heavier and quality stock of stainless. The weight difference is very noticeable. The overall look from the outside when comparing the two on the table look very similar. The welds look the same from the outside but when I investigated both from the inside it was a different story. The Titek unit looked to have had great penetration showing a nice, even brown discoloration and slight burn through around all the seams. I remember looking at the ebay housing when I first got it and not thinking much of the welding (looked as if it the welds were glued on with no penetration) but nothing was missed or anything of the sort. From a first glance, the Titek housing looks as if it was built for the life of the car and the ebay as a "you get what you pay for" part. Obviously, both have not been tested so who knows what each's longevity could be so this is in the eye of the beholder.

Now the inside comparison of the 2 is where there is no contest on which one had the time put into it. My ebay housing suffered from boost creep problems. I knew this was going to happen from the day I got it and looked at it but convinced myself there was a chance it might not. Well it did because of the quarter sized hole the wastegate had to vent to. Some might say this is the same size as a Deltagate or any 35/38mm wastegates. But the problem lies in the placement of the hole on my ebay unit. The Titek unit looks totally different with a ton of proper material removed with zero the restriction of my ebay housing.

Both housings don't have a mount for bracing but that wasn't a suprise. I thought of fabbing and welding up my own brace but decided against it for the pure fact that the relatively thin walled tubing would end up cracking from heat and vibration. Overall I think the Titek is a solid piece that is well made and at not a wallet busting price. Do I believe the ebay housings will flow as well as the Titek? I believe mine would have with some effort in porting it out alittle better. But do I believe the ebay unit is even in the same ballpark of quality of build? Not at all. I believe this one is a nice inbetween on those who don't want to spend the money on a WORKS or a Invidia but want something alittle better put together then most commonly found on ebay. Pictures speak a thousand words, you be the judge.....

Ebay

Titek

Ebay

Titek

Last edited by fid; Jun 7, 2007 at 06:24 PM.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 06:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good stuff, I'm looking forward to seeing how this performs compared to the ebay. I know the ebay does very well, and can't quite understand why a company that is willing to put in the quality, research, and design can't make an O2 housing that can outperform the ebay. Maybe this is it. Please keep us posted on any more reviews or results.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 06:37 PM
fid
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bwesley82
Good stuff, I'm looking forward to seeing how this performs compared to the ebay. I know the ebay does very well, and can't quite understand why a company that is willing to put in the quality, research, and design can't make an O2 housing that can outperform the ebay. Maybe this is it. Please keep us posted on any more reviews or results.
I will absolutely keep everyone informed .
Old Jun 7, 2007, 06:59 PM
Former Vendor

I bought an ebay o2 and the wastegate hole was much bigger then that. Wow, that's gotta hurt performance a bit . Good info!
Old Jun 7, 2007, 11:23 PM
Evolved Member

The ebay ones have been rumored to be beneficial here.Ill do some more searching and keep us posted.I heard at least get the megan racing one on ebay.
Old Jun 8, 2007, 01:06 AM

I would also be interested...I am in the market for a new o2 housing as we speak! As for quality, no comparison (according to the pics).....
Old Jun 8, 2007, 05:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by fid
I will absolutely keep everyone informed .
thx for the post =)
Old Jun 8, 2007, 05:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ImJoey
The ebay ones have been rumored to be beneficial here.Ill do some more searching and keep us posted.I heard at least get the megan racing one on ebay.

The megan racing one is identical to the Ebay one pictured. It also has a quarter sized hole. 99% of them are sourced from the same place.
Old Jun 8, 2007, 05:34 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by s2kguy
The megan racing one is identical to the Ebay one pictured. It also has a quarter sized hole. 99% of them are sourced from the same place.
Go Titek
Old Jun 9, 2007, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The TITEK looks sweet! The build looks great and they sold me. They claim theres no extending of the o2 sensor wiring either, which is nice.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 10:06 PM
Former Sponsor

I'm sure its better quality and may make a whooping 1whp more which doesnt justify the extra $$.

But if i really does fix the boost creep problem some people have that would make it a good purchase in my opinion

Very pretty looking though, it would make a nice key chain lol =-)

Cheers!
Old Jun 10, 2007, 12:54 PM
fid
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4 Wheel Slide
I'm sure its better quality and may make a whooping 1whp more which doesnt justify the extra $$.
I don't think it is all about what kind of hp it makes or doesn't make, well at least IMO. People that pay inferior prices get inferior quality, as I can tell just by picking up the two. I plan, as I am sure others do, on keeping my Evo for a longtime and I am pretty sure the Titek unit will age a heck of alot better then the $80 ebay unit I had on. Is alittle less then a $100 difference worth it in quality, to me? Oh yeah, but maybe not to someone on a budget. That is the point of this visual review. Hopefully it will help someone in making a decision between spending mid-range money on a O2 housing or cheap money, thats it.
Old Jun 10, 2007, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

I think IMO its just one of those things you would do if you were installing the DP and had it there ready to slap one on. I wish i took my own advice instead of taking it all apart again. If it werent for the increased size for the wastegate hole i probably wouldnt spend the extra too though.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 05:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Dont forget that Titek also offer a 1 year warranty on all their products !!! im pretty sure no ebay company can say that =)
Old Jun 11, 2007, 05:34 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Our O2 housings have a 1 year warranty and are $99.

Sounds like your vendor gave you great service. Congrats.

Quick Reply: Titek O2 Housing///First Impression vs. Ebay Housing