Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

HKS Racing Suction Reloaded Intake review

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2007, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by urslo4n8
Advice to any new Evo owners out there, intake seems to be a great first mod.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I disagree only b/c you need to have it tuned to see any gains. I have the same intake and didnt install it untill i had the flash done. A better first mod would be a cat back or flash itself.
you dont have to have it tuned to notice a gain
Old Jul 28, 2007, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Thegame
The RS intake is the best for power, but the worst for filtration. Most anyone who knows anything about Evo's will tell you that is 100% fact.
the blitz sus has worse filtration than the hks rs
Old Jul 28, 2007, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I carried over my RS intake from my 8 to my 9 and noticed that the 8, without a tune, didn't respond so well to the intake. My 9 on the other hand feels better with the intake, rather than with the stock airbox. Even without a tune.

I have since though switched the filter to one of Buscher's do to all the dust/dirt that was getting through the HKS filter.
Old Jul 28, 2007, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
anyone know the difference from the regular hks rs to the reloaded version????? they they improve anything or just the way it looks??
Old Jul 28, 2007, 10:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evodan2004
anyone know the difference from the regular hks rs to the reloaded version????? they they improve anything or just the way it looks??
The filter cage has been redesigned. The honey comb has bigger more spaced out holes... supposedly improves flow. However, i dont think 'flow' was every its short-coming... its the filtration. Everyone can agree it flows very well, just doesnt clean as well. I also have to agree w/ the RS HKS intake kit making power after bolt on (at least for a IX). I picked up 1-2 mph on my stock untuned IX. and i had no issues. I have read posts about 8s having issues... I do recommend getting a tune to maximize power potential, but (at least in my experience) i didnt "NEED" the tune to run it.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 05:01 AM
Evolved Member

That intake sucks so bad, well the filter is. Let me tell you all a story I was getting tuned on a mustang dyno before the tune I was at approximately 322 hp it's been some time since that day anyhow after the tune the car only made like 324 hp when my tq # jumped up like 30hp or more. I asked JESTR what gives he said it was the filter on the HKS RS. So we tried to improve the hp # with no luck. 2 days later I had got my very old injen filter of my 2000 gts intake and installed it on the HKS pipe. THE ONLY THING I CHANGED WAS THE FILTER got retuned and got back on the same dyno, same fuel, same boost level and the car made 340 hp. that 16 hp the car made from only taking off the HKS filter and install injen kind od are filter.

Last edited by EVIL MR; Jul 29, 2007 at 05:04 AM.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Diseasicon
While I agree that it you will see better gains with a tune, I'm definitely seeing some gain without one. I'm saying it's a good first mod because it's cheap, fairly easy, brings out the sound of the engine, gives you some experience under the hood and familiarizes you with the engine bay, and if Warranty is important to you, Mitsu is going to have a fit over a tune (Cat-back slightly less so, but it depends on the dealer). Cat-back and tune are also great mods, but a catback is harder to install, the Tune may anger the dealer, and both are more expensive. Cat-back/TBE and tune are definitely my next mods, but I am very happy with my intake to start.
IT IS a good mod but all im saying is that it can be harmful to your engine if you dont get a flash. It may run too lean and cause detonation. You may feel results but you may NOT see or hear detonation.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 10:20 AM

yeah i saw that ttp article about it too, and they did put proof... they had a chart where they tested like 3 different kinds of filters and the hks did terrible and let in so much dirt and **** its ridiculous.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 12:53 PM
Evolving Member

Any links to this article?
Old Jul 31, 2007, 06:29 PM
Former Sponsor

I currently have these on sale for 290$ plus shipping if anyone is interested.