Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

HKS Racing Suction Reloaded Intake review

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2007, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up HKS Racing Suction Reloaded Intake review

I recently ordered the HKS Racing Suction Reloaded Intake from Lancershop and received it in less than a week. I haven't had any problems with LS so far, so maybe I've been lucky, but on to the review.

I was looking into an intake for my 06 Lancer Evolution MR, and it was down to the HKS RSL or the Buschur Racing. Originally I was going to go for the BR because of the price difference, and due to positive reviews, but LS had the HKS on sale, and I have seen many positive reviews for the HKS too, so I picked it up.

I have to say, I'm amazed with the HKS! The install was a little tough, it took about 1.5 hours with my friend, although we're fairly unskilled, and most of it was undoing the clamps that Mitsubishi had angled in very difficult directions. A skilled and experienced person could probably do the install in 45 minutes to an hour alone. The appearance of the intake is very clean, and the parts seem to be amazingly high quality, forgoing any rubber in favor silicone tubing, and the Mass Air Pipe is extremely well crafted and easy to fit. The install of the filter is a little tight, but in the end, everything fits very well coming just clear of the body.

The actual benefits from the intake seem to be very good. The car definitely pulls stronger from low revs, and the turbo does seem to spool a little quicker due to the increased air. Evo 8's might notice more of an improvement due to the lack of MIVEC, but that's just a guess. My guess would be somewhere between a 5-10 WHP gain, seeing as the car seems to feel about as strong with the AC on now as it did before with the AC off, and a bit stronger now with the AC off than ever before.

The most amazing benefit of the intake is the sound that the car now makes. The turbo can be heard spooling much louder and much earlier than without the intake, and the intake makes a threating sucking sound even before it starts to spool, so the name Racing Suction is well deserved. My last car was a '95 Camaro Z28, and I put an SLP CAI on there, and the suction sound that made had nothing on my Evo with the HKS. The most amazing change of sound is that of the Blowoff Valve. Despite the Evo having a recirculation type BOV, the intake fully brings out the sound of the BOV, and gives the car an incredibly racy sound under hard acceleration and shifting.

All in all, this was a great mod to my Evo. Advice to any new Evo owners out there, intake seems to be a great first mod. It makes the car sound the way an Evo should sound, and adds noticeable power. Don't waste your money on a new BOV to get that sound (unless you're running huge boost and the stock BOV can't handle the pressure), adding an intake will give you the sound you want plus some power, and the HKS is a great choice!

I'll try to post some pics soon if possible....
Old Jul 18, 2007, 01:23 PM
Evolving Member

I got one too and could say the same! Positive review and I love the way it sound...Who needs a BOV when i can here this turbo spool.. I love it..

1 question: the little u shaped adapter that holds up the air filter how does yours look bolted up to the frame and where does it hold your filter. Mine seems to be a lil off...Maybe a picture of it!!! Thanks
Old Jul 18, 2007, 02:07 PM

My U-shaped universal adapter holds the silicone hose that the filter is attached to. It is held by the rear clamp on the hose just before the entrance to the MAF. It shouldn't touch the filter at all, if yours is, i suggest quickly fixing the problem as you may be doing damage to the filter by having the metal bracket touch it and press against it, as well as not properly supporting the hose, the filter may be bouncing around.

Oh, in addition to my review, i would just like to point out the one downside to this intake, the filter must be changed every 5000 miles, but at only 25 bucks a pop, it's not a huge downside to me.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 04:09 PM
Evolving Member

I think mine is correct. It just seems a little odd how it is supposed to support the whole intake????
...Do you know where i could get a new filter thnx?
Old Jul 18, 2007, 08:54 PM
Evolving Member

Is this the only mod you have on your MR?
Old Jul 18, 2007, 11:17 PM

At this point, it is the only performance mod to my car, yes. More will come later, but this was, in my opinion, a great first mod.

The bracket is just there to provide a support point from the body of the car on the pipe while clamped down, so as to prevent the pipe from bouncing. You can get replacement filters from anywhere that sells HKS products, like lancershop, or HKS's site themself. Replacements are about $25, just make sure you order the 200 mm filter, and dual layer wet type, unless you live in a very dusty area where the 3 layer dry may be safer.

Last edited by Diseasicon; Jul 18, 2007 at 11:28 PM. Reason: additional comments
Old Jul 23, 2007, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Advice to any new Evo owners out there, intake seems to be a great first mod.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I disagree only b/c you need to have it tuned to see any gains. I have the same intake and didnt install it untill i had the flash done. A better first mod would be a cat back or flash itself.
Old Jul 26, 2007, 01:17 AM

I disagree only b/c you need to have it tuned to see any gains. I have the same intake and didnt install it untill i had the flash done. A better first mod would be a cat back or flash itself.
While I agree that it you will see better gains with a tune, I'm definitely seeing some gain without one. I'm saying it's a good first mod because it's cheap, fairly easy, brings out the sound of the engine, gives you some experience under the hood and familiarizes you with the engine bay, and if Warranty is important to you, Mitsu is going to have a fit over a tune (Cat-back slightly less so, but it depends on the dealer). Cat-back and tune are also great mods, but a catback is harder to install, the Tune may anger the dealer, and both are more expensive. Cat-back/TBE and tune are definitely my next mods, but I am very happy with my intake to start.
Old Jul 26, 2007, 02:50 AM
Evolving Member

Old Jul 26, 2007, 11:02 AM
Account Disabled

Your gonna need a tune anyways. Try going WOT and see what happens. Fuel cut and it gets very annoying. It is a great mod though. I believe another great first mod would be tbe. You wont need a flash for any exhaust system.
Old Jul 26, 2007, 11:06 AM

The HKS suction intake "was" said to be one of the best intakes for the evo when I first became a member like 2 years ago. Now, I've seen "tuners" say it's not a good intake for the evo. I saw a thread where TTP said it's horrible for the evo.

I'm not a tuner and don't own this product. Just wanted to tell people what I heard.

Good luck.

FYI- get a tune!!

jason
Old Jul 26, 2007, 11:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Cali2MDevo8
The HKS suction intake "was" said to be one of the best intakes for the evo when I first became a member like 2 years ago. Now, I've seen "tuners" say it's not a good intake for the evo. I saw a thread where TTP said it's horrible for the evo.

I'm not a tuner and don't own this product. Just wanted to tell people what I heard.

Good luck.

FYI- get a tune!!

jason
At the same time, Al@Dynoflash says its great so there is alot of opinion and no proof...

Just go with who you trust...
Old Jul 26, 2007, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Well, the FQ400 or whatever has a ton of HKS parts on it, so they must be doing something correct if Mitsubishi approves them doing it. The RS intake is the best for power, but the worst for filtration. Most anyone who knows anything about Evo's will tell you that is 100% fact.
Old Jul 26, 2007, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=197091
Old Jul 26, 2007, 12:29 PM

I have HKS RS, love the intake but definitley need a tune. If you are deciding between HKS or Buschur for your 06, I say Buschur. With the HKS its a replacement foam filter. If you live in a dusty, dirty area get ready to spend some money on replacements.

Quick Reply: HKS Racing Suction Reloaded Intake review