Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

THE SHOP, CT re: Shepherd Tranny - Simply Amazing!!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2007, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
THE SHOP, CT re: Shepherd Tranny - Simply Amazing!!!

I have to say that every time i do business with Jimmy and the guys at the Shop in CT, i ALWAYS leave 120% happy and with a stupid smile on my face...

<-- (yep something like that!!)

I did a Shepherd rebuild on my gearbox and transfer case. As i like to race the car and i had some issues with the tranny decided to do the Shepherd treatment to fix some issues with vibrations and noises and try to catch up with a more serious problem in the future...

i did the gearbox rebuild, along with the ultimate ratio conversion and then treated the whole gearset with the REM ISF process... Similarly we did the transfercase...

As soon as The Shop received the tranny, Jimmy and the guys installed it and managed to have the car ready, literally within hours... they double checked everything and we test drove the car around to make sure that everything is running like a swiss clock!!! They even hand-washed the car after and delivered it to me shiny and better than i left it with them!!!

I will keep saying it EVERY TIME i deal with Jimmy and The Shop. Jimmy is NUMERO UNO in customer service, satisfaction and always he will try to work the best deal for you!!! PERIOD...

As far as the tranny is concerned i put 55 miles on the trip back home. As guys from the Shop said and i realised later, it smooth as butter, Quieter than stock!!! I will try and put some miles on the tranny before i start beating on it. I had to feel and experience John Shepherd's work personally to just say what every Shepherd customer says... 100% guaranteed satisfaction...

For the history i used straight MT90 in the gearbox and the OEM DiaQueen LSD in the transfercase...
Old Aug 23, 2007, 08:43 PM
Evolving Member

Thats awsome bro! The shop always gets positive reviews. I am also dieing for a tranny rebuild mine just isnt smooth. Can u refresh my memory about the ultimate ratio conversion as im to lazy to check the website.
Old Aug 24, 2007, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

i am just waitin to get mine in!!! CAn't wait
Old Aug 24, 2007, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 2SloEvo
Thats awsome bro! The shop always gets positive reviews. I am also dieing for a tranny rebuild mine just isnt smooth. Can u refresh my memory about the ultimate ratio conversion as im to lazy to check the website.

"custom ratios that allow for perfect rpm drop for each gear. "
Old Aug 24, 2007, 01:24 PM
Evolving Member

we just installed one (ultimate tranny) on my friends car... after he broke it in, he mashed on the gears and he loved it....... great product
Old Aug 24, 2007, 04:39 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by dafunk630
Ray , good things come to those who wait ! we should have your 5 speed trans and conversion kit here next week , i cant wait to see your face when you your car with the 5 speed set up in it - Jimmy
Old Aug 25, 2007, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dafunk630
Mate, its what Jimmy told you!!! you will be surprised!!

Hope you ordered the REM ISF process... the tranny is completely silent!
Old Aug 31, 2007, 11:52 AM
Evolving Member

hmm.. i had an alright experience over there.. had an appointment at 10 and i didnt get onto the dyno till 2 or 3.. understandable since theres other cars... once i did get on they did a great job tunning and spent a lot of time making sure my car runs perfectly and at 100%.. but after that i was a lil iffy on how they took my car off the dyno (kinda like a reverse launch) after that i was trying to get into the car so i could be in the car with them when they were street tunning it (they did it for the guy before me) but they end up leaving right before i try getting into the car.. their gone for about 15-20 min from checking if the a/f is good and on my ride home i start hearing the death whine of my transfer case.. i know i didnt cause it since i just got it back from getting it warrantied.. but would i go back there again.. ierno ill give them a 7.5 on my overall experience =/
Old Aug 31, 2007, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Itchy
hmm.. i had an alright experience over there.. had an appointment at 10 and i didnt get onto the dyno till 2 or 3.. understandable since theres other cars... once i did get on they did a great job tunning and spent a lot of time making sure my car runs perfectly and at 100%.. but after that i was a lil iffy on how they took my car off the dyno (kinda like a reverse launch) after that i was trying to get into the car so i could be in the car with them when they were street tunning it (they did it for the guy before me) but they end up leaving right before i try getting into the car.. their gone for about 15-20 min from checking if the a/f is good and on my ride home i start hearing the death whine of my transfer case.. i know i didnt cause it since i just got it back from getting it warrantied.. but would i go back there again.. ierno ill give them a 7.5 on my overall experience =/
I would never let that happen...especially seeing that you're there...

...sux
Old Aug 31, 2007, 12:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
evo viii 3rd and 4th longer gears
evo ix 1st longer
evo viii and ix 2nd is the same
evo ix 5th is shorter

closer gear ratio = faster
Old Aug 31, 2007, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Kouzman, can I ask what the total turn around time was, from the time you dropped the car off to the time you picked it up? I'm thinking about doing this this coming Spring, and I'm trying to plan it all out.
Old Aug 31, 2007, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

Same experience here...very happy. On the other hand had opposite experience with TRE (not recommended at all)
Old Aug 31, 2007, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

Turn around its all Shepherd...the Shop usually can pull your tranny on the same day or the next and send it out.

Shepherd could take from a week up to three weeks!!! Scheduling the rebuild way ahead is the way to go so they can prepare themselves...
Old Aug 31, 2007, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4 Wheel Slide
evo viii 3rd and 4th longer gears
evo ix 1st longer
evo viii and ix 2nd is the same
evo ix 5th is shorter

closer gear ratio = faster
I have an EVO IX so...

kept 1st, 2nd and 5th gear
changed 3rd and 4th gear
same final drive
REM ISF process

On the stock tires i would see 114 miles at 7500rpm... Now on the longer gear i can see it at 7050rpm where the car has more power....

I will visit the track pretty soon and we will see whats going on with the tranny...
Old Aug 31, 2007, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kouzman
Turn around its all Shepherd...the Shop usually can pull your tranny on the same day or the next and send it out.
Understood - thanks for the insight on the Shep end of the transaction.

Quick Reply: THE SHOP, CT re: Shepherd Tranny - Simply Amazing!!!