Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Ebay Coil on Plug Review

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2008, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
stock ecu and a sparktech c.o.p and noooo problems. aaaaaaaaaaaaaa feels sooooo gooooooood.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
We tried a number of plugs and gaps, including a BGEGV gold NGK race plug sworn by gtpumps to work great. It was the worst performing plug of them all.

The facts are that the coils and harness were not wired up correctly from the start by SparkTech.

In no circumstance should the end user be required to retrace every wire, cut the heatshrink off of 4-5 feet of twisted pairs to try and locate the problem in a "completed PNP system".

Facts are that Craig replaced a coil on the first return (it did not change a thing), rewired the system on the second return, it fixed a high load miss, but swapped it for a horrible low load miss that would not spark effectively, in turn fouling plugs in just a few miles.

We paid to return the unit both times.
Thats to bad Scott. Ive had nothing but great success with his system. As soon as we installed it all our miss fires went away. We have had the boost spike 57psi with no miss
Old Feb 20, 2008, 07:29 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by evodan2004
stock ecu and a sparktech c.o.p and noooo problems. aaaaaaaaaaaaaa feels sooooo gooooooood.
We would gladly swap units with yours. We would likely be up and running in a week instead of 8 months with continued problems.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 07:14 AM
Former Sponsor

These are the FACTS.....

1. You purchased a unit for Evo 9 (without any prior contact about potential differences in systems).
2. You then installed it on the car it was intended for your evo 8

If you had any Engineering going on over there you would have known that the valve covers on the evo 8 and evo 9 are different. The evo 9's valve cover has a different shape where the mounting plate lies. The evo 9 mounting plate will fit in the 8 but will have the reliefs cut out to fit the evo 9. The no.1 coil on the evo 9 plate is also twisted about 20deg to fit the evo 9's cover. Although it fits it doesn't mean it will work. I have never tried it....why would I? When we delivered this unit and saw that it was going on his evo 8 I specifically said that this mounting plate was different and offered to swap it out but he declined. If you look at posts made by scott you will see he sold a coil on plug system with msd which was a failure. So he had some experience dealing with his own mounting plates.

3. When we received the unit the first time it appeared to have been dropped and the mounting plate was crushed at the lower left hand corner and the no.1 coil connector was broken. We replaced this coil under warranty (free) I called scott and he said he was unaware of it and it must have happened in shipping. I honestly can't say how it happened but to dent 1/4inch thick aluminum thru the box was impossible as there was no visible damage to the box. There was also an additional mounting hole drilled into the mounting plate as well.

4. We have sent numerous pm's with suggestions for him to try with no reply. I again have not heard from scott other than this public forum. Even after offering to buy the system back.

5. Our systems have 100% money back guarantee and should have been returned for a FULL refund, PRIOR to Scott's engineering on the system.

6. Scott's actions and communications to us do not imply that his intention is not to fix the problem but to create one. Scott's entire system was tested on our personal car with factory ecu prior to the last return and performed flawlessly.

7. Our systems ARE wired correctly and have worked on many cars PRIOR to Scott's purchase. Updates were made to IMPROVE performance and durability, not due to incorrect wiring.

We were trying to avoid posting the details of this transaction out of respect to our customer. However Scott's relentless attacks without any intention to contact us or return the unit, leads us to believe that there are some ulterior motives. May those who read this be the judge.

This is the last time I will comment publicly about this.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SparkTech
These are the FACTS.....

1. You purchased a unit for Evo 9 (without any prior contact about potential differences in systems).
2. You then installed it on the car it was intended for your evo 8

If you had any Engineering going on over there you would have known that the valve covers on the evo 8 and evo 9 are different. The evo 9's valve cover has a different shape where the mounting plate lies. The evo 9 mounting plate will fit in the 8 but will have the reliefs cut out to fit the evo 9. The no.1 coil on the evo 9 plate is also twisted about 20deg to fit the evo 9's cover. Although it fits it doesn't mean it will work. I have never tried it....why would I? When we delivered this unit and saw that it was going on his evo 8 I specifically said that this mounting plate was different and offered to swap it out but he declined. If you look at posts made by scott you will see he sold a coil on plug system with msd which was a failure. So he had some experience dealing with his own mounting plates.

3. When we received the unit the first time it appeared to have been dropped and the mounting plate was crushed at the lower left hand corner and the no.1 coil connector was broken. We replaced this coil under warranty (free) I called scott and he said he was unaware of it and it must have happened in shipping. I honestly can't say how it happened but to dent 1/4inch thick aluminum thru the box was impossible as there was no visible damage to the box. There was also an additional mounting hole drilled into the mounting plate as well.

4. We have sent numerous pm's with suggestions for him to try with no reply. I again have not heard from scott other than this public forum. Even after offering to buy the system back.

5. Our systems have 100% money back guarantee and should have been returned for a FULL refund, PRIOR to Scott's engineering on the system.

6. Scott's actions and communications to us do not imply that his intention is not to fix the problem but to create one. Scott's entire system was tested on our personal car with factory ecu prior to the last return and performed flawlessly.

7. Our systems ARE wired correctly and have worked on many cars PRIOR to Scott's purchase. Updates were made to IMPROVE performance and durability, not due to incorrect wiring.

We were trying to avoid posting the details of this transaction out of respect to our customer. However Scott's relentless attacks without any intention to contact us or return the unit, leads us to believe that there are some ulterior motives. May those who read this be the judge.

This is the last time I will comment publicly about this.

Like ive said in the past my dealings with sparktech have been outstanding.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Removed the TTP situation for further review
Old Feb 21, 2008, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
We would gladly swap units with yours. We would likely be up and running in a week instead of 8 months with continued problems.

ill sell you mine.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

Looks like we will push this system to the max next weekend car is almost done and it is up and running. 1100whp here we come
Old Mar 16, 2008, 09:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ifarted2
Looks like we will push this system to the max next weekend car is almost done and it is up and running. 1100whp here we come
Keep us up to date.

My setup is working awesome! Pushing 32 pounds now.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tobz
Keep us up to date.

My setup is working awesome! Pushing 32 pounds now.
I'm ready to start pushing 32lbs Soon enough.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

I just wanted to bump this thread. Since i got my first System SparkTech workmanship and quality has gone up 10 fold. Ive seen several systems go thru English Racing. Each one's wiring is done right and to m&w spec