Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Negative effects of exhaust silencer

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2007, 10:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Negative effects of exhaust silencer

First of all, whats up fellas! I did search and read lots of threads that discuss exhaust silencers, but I didn't find any posts which go into detail to answer this specific question, and no I am not asking whether an exhaust silencer will rob me of hp. Yes, I saw the dynoflash graph that shows that having a silencer can rob the performance of the car by 50hp. This is a different question.

BESIDES the hp loss and the god awful sound at WOT , what are the other negative effects of driving with the silencer on?

What are the effects on gas consumption, and what negative effects does it have on the engine if any?

Thanks for your help!
Old Sep 22, 2007, 07:38 AM

Well as a matter of basic physics, any time you decrease the efficiency of a machine, the ratio of work to output becomes more detrimental. So yes, to answer your question, your gas mileage will decrease, as the engine has to work slightly harder to expell exhaust gas through the restriction of the silencer.

There is an arguement for tuning exhaust pipe diameter to aid in scavenging exhaust gasses off-boost, but my thought has always been that the turbocharger itself acts as an adequate back-pressure creating restriction in the exhaust stream.

I can't imagine that the silencer would have hugely adverse mechanical effects on the engine, save for the loss of power and lame sound that you already mentioned.
Old Sep 22, 2007, 09:16 AM

I had a silencer on for about 6 months (took it out at the track) and really nothing adverse (other than what you pointed out).

Funny thing is that my gas mileage seemed a little better with the silencer in....probably because I didn't go WOT as much since it sounded awful
Old Sep 22, 2007, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by jnathan68
Funny thing is that my gas mileage seemed a little better with the silencer in....probably because I didn't go WOT as much since it sounded awful
Hahaha yup, that's the thing that most people forget about modding; if you drive the car normally with performance upgrades (thus improving the efficiency of the engine), gas mileage actually increases.

Many people scoff at the idea but it's because they drive the car harder and harder with more and more mods.

Old Sep 22, 2007, 01:41 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
we tested one on an evo ix, it lost like 80whp on our mustang dyno!!
Old Sep 22, 2007, 01:48 PM
Evolving Member

^^wow?!??!
Old Oct 26, 2007, 06:33 AM
Evolving Member

After running with the silencer on, I noticed that my EGTs were alot higher.