Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

91 oct. Mellon tune review...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2007, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
91 oct. Mellon tune review...

Chris at Melon Tuning just finished tuning my ’03 VIII this weekend. My mods are listed below in my sig. I’m on ACN91 octane so I had no illusion of significant gains; I was more interested in Chris dialing in a safe and consistent tune. Here is the overlay of the before and after - looks like I gained 19 whp and 15 ft lbs:

If you think getting tuned by Mellon is akin to the typical canned e-flash, you would be sorely mistaken. Chris started working on my tune on June 24. Over the next 20 weeks I sent Chris a total of 72 data logs on 24 separate occasions. In turn he sent me a total of 14 gradually improved-upon tune files.

During this time Chris also nursed me through BOV issues, two different boost leaks, laptop computer snags, EvoScan problems, EcuFlash anomalies, a spark plug change, and the fact that I’m just plain slow. Never once did he waiver or complain.

Actually, Chris is also slow, IMO, intentionally so. He likes to make small changes to the tune, data log the results, review, and repeat as necessary. This is not the fastest way to tune, but his slow methodical incremental route is safe, trust worthy, and does produce the desired results.

The biggest improvement of all in my tune was in knock reduction. Check out the difference in knock (orange line) in my previous tune vs the Mellon tune:
Old: Peak 20 count at 7600 RPM
New: Peak 2 count at 3000 RPM

Here is the graph of the before state of tune:

And a graph of the final Mellon tune:

The car drives great, pulls hard, and sounds awesome. The improved exhaust note was an unexpected yet pleasant surprise. I can only describe the driveability and the exhaust note as being much crisper than previous – sharper, edgy, and more responsive. I can certainly recommend Mellon Tuning; however, I think the results Chris achieved are a far superior recommendation.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 06:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow, 20 counts of knock is rough! seems like you gained power everywhere with this tune, and your safer. Cant beat that. + 1 for mellon.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 07:33 AM
Account Disabled

from Jim's original e-mail and knock filled logs I knew we had some major challenges ahead of us

NOTEs, caveats, FYIs, FWIW:
I only have ACN91 - the worst gas in the US.
I live in the hottest climate in the US.
I want a conservative tune.
Given the choice, I prefer torque over HP.
well it's been a journey Jim but persistence pays off, now you can run the car hard and not have to worry about hurting it anymore

the 50awtq increase at low RPM should feel worlds better and the power isn't going to dive down at high rpm like it did before.

I'm glad you're happy and thanks for the glowing review!
Old Nov 11, 2007, 07:41 AM

+1 for Chris' skills and patience. I sent Chris my first log on August 20 with 15 counts of knock and matching high/low octane maps. I have received 7 tweaks since then and I am down to 0-2 counts of knock. I have logged 4 counts but it's not consistant, ive only seen it once. He has worked with me through laptop failures, software problems, numerous other things that would have made most people give up on me. Chris never complained and was always ready to tune as soon as I got back on track.

If you want someone with talent and great customer service go with mellon
Old Nov 11, 2007, 07:59 AM
Account Disabled

thanks for the kind words Chris, I really appreciate that and those first few words in your first e-mail made my day
Chris,
Thanks, I have loaded the new rom and the difference is amazing

do I have the coolest customers or what
Old Nov 11, 2007, 08:24 AM
Evolving Member

Yes! Chris's tunes are top notch and not generalized, like others in the market. His tunes are very unique, I was considering going through a shop here that has a dyno but after all I rather give my money to someone that really cares. Chris you have my business, when I get around to it and finishing installing the rest of the part on my car I will send you my map. MELLON FTW
Old Nov 11, 2007, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, that is some great results on 91 octane. I could definitely relate to how bad 91 octane can be. I can only wish that Chris was around a couple of years back to take advantage of his services. The guy who originally tuned me on 91 left my car slower and my wallet with a lot less cash .
Old Nov 11, 2007, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
+1 for chris he takes his time to tune your car as if it was his own.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 11:08 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by frenchy99
Yes! Chris's tunes are top notch and not generalized, like others in the market. His tunes are very unique, I was considering going through a shop here that has a dyno but after all I rather give my money to someone that really cares. Chris you have my business, when I get around to it and finishing installing the rest of the part on my car I will send you my map. MELLON FTW

sounds good Mikael, I'll be here when you're ready and thanks for the compliments
Old Nov 11, 2007, 11:12 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by jrsimon27
+1 for chris he takes his time to tune your car as if it was his own.
you're dead on with that comment Jorge, I can't stress enough how important it is to me that each car I tune runs at it's fullest potential.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Mellon
you're dead on with that comment Jorge, I can't stress enough how important it is to me that each car I tune runs at it's fullest potential.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 03:20 PM
Evolving Member

Welcome to the Mellon Army. Time to update your sig. Mellon's attention to detail and HELPFULNESS in all situations is what has had me sold from day one.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Muad
Time to update your sig.
Huh? I've had Mellon Tuning in my sig for weeks. If you are referring to the vision-impaired large-print version, I can see why you need it. Are all Mellonites vision impaired? Must be something in the water! Note to self: Don't drink the water!
Old Nov 11, 2007, 07:21 PM
Account Disabled

yes, it's due the lack of blood to the frontal lobe of the brain from the acceleration
Old Nov 12, 2007, 09:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jim in Tucson
Huh? I've had Mellon Tuning in my sig for weeks. If you are referring to the vision-impaired large-print version, I can see why you need it. Are all Mellonites vision impaired? Must be something in the water! Note to self: Don't drink the water!
LOL. My bad.

Originally Posted by Mellon
yes, it's due the lack of blood to the frontal lobe of the brain from the acceleration
He is correct...I had to go do a break test to compensate, and now I can see that in your sig Jim.