Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Pushing some new intake manifolds to the limit!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2007, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EnzoFerrari
Testing should really be done on an engine dyno.
Fail.

As long as all else remains equal makes no difference. The car is raced with the drivetrain attached, not attached to an engine dyno.

Scorke
Old Dec 6, 2007, 05:54 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by scorke
Fail.

As long as all else remains equal makes no difference. The car is raced with the drivetrain attached, not attached to an engine dyno.

Scorke

truth, as long as they let the car cool down enough, witch they will lucas is very thorough
Old Dec 7, 2007, 04:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guys an engine dyno is far more of a controlled environment. You can't argue with that.

Would be awesome to see what all these manifolds did to a releatively standard, 420 hp evo. Maybe all the members could donate $5. Pay Paul and Lucas to do the testing on a more tame engine than Paul's.

The funny thing is you think it would be the vendors making the manifolds that would want to subsidize this test. However, I guess none of them are confident enough in their product to actually do it. That is the only logical conclusion I can reach.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 05:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by crcain
Guys an engine dyno is far more of a controlled environment. You can't argue with that.

Would be awesome to see what all these manifolds did to a releatively standard, 420 hp evo. Maybe all the members could donate $5. Pay Paul and Lucas to do the testing on a more tame engine than Paul's.

The funny thing is you think it would be the vendors making the manifolds that would want to subsidize this test. However, I guess none of them are confident enough in their product to actually do it. That is the only logical conclusion I can reach.
Or that they cannot afford to do this

Scorke
Old Dec 7, 2007, 06:27 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by crcain

/end dream sequence how about just be satisfied with what Paul's doing for us
Old Dec 7, 2007, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mellon
/end dream sequence how about just be satisfied with what Paul's doing for us
Im sure Lucas would do the different manifolds on his stock turbo E98 car but man could you imagine the work from all the sensors and welding flanges lol

I feel this will be a fun test to see these manifolds pushed t there limit. Im going to go up to 57 psi. At the same time i hope to break 1100whp I see allot of us getting bored of 400whp and start making the jump up in power. We already have very reliable 500whp plus cars on the road today. So i can definably see this test being a good base for people to use for future purchase on a manifold
Old Dec 7, 2007, 07:06 AM
Account Disabled

yep, it should be a real eye opener and it'll probably cause some companies to rethink their designs to be competitive.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
crcrain, I don't see any manufacturer of an intake manifold wanting to put money into any engine dyno testing. Best place to test any part is in the car on a chassis dyno (or track). I am glad they are taking the time to do the test but if I was buiding intake manifolds and there was going to be testing done the only person I would want performing the test would be myself. I think many other manufacturers feel the same way.

Some of these intakes have been tested already and the outcome of the testing wasn't that favorable, the manufacturers were informed and no changes were made..............some guys don't care.

Good luck with the testing.

BTW, I contacted Jun and was going to buy one of their intake manifolds, the cost threw me though, $2300 shipped. To rich for my blood. Guess 151 mph on the stock ported intake is going to have to keep me happy
Old Dec 7, 2007, 07:42 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Things that really need to taken into account during this test are the manifolds being tested. Paul's car is obviously not the norm and what is going to work for his car is not going to work for 95% of the public. Camshaft selection, displacement, Turbo charger and slew of other variables are going to effect spool on any given car.

KCevo has been nice enough to send him a couple variations of our manifold for testing. I just want to make sure the users on the site understand that the manifold that makes the most power in this particular test is most likely not the variation you would want to put on your car unless you are building a car of Paul's caliber.

We thank paul for the test and look forward to the results but a much better candidate would be a car in the 450-600 whp range. food for thought.

Eric
Old Dec 7, 2007, 07:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
crcrain, I don't see any manufacturer of an intake manifold wanting to put money into any engine dyno testing. Best place to test any part is in the car on a chassis dyno (or track). I am glad they are taking the time to do the test but if I was buiding intake manifolds and there was going to be testing done the only person I would want performing the test would be myself. I think many other manufacturers feel the same way.

Some of these intakes have been tested already and the outcome of the testing wasn't that favorable, the manufacturers were informed and no changes were made..............some guys don't care.

BTW, I contacted Jun and was going to buy one of their intake manifolds, the cost threw me though, $2300 shipped. To rich for my blood. Guess 151 mph on the stock ported intake is going to have to keep me happy

I agree 100% with that Dave, Your RS would be a much more suitable test mule for this, or any 500 whp car for that matter.

Eric
Old Dec 7, 2007, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

I can donate mine this summer if ya'll wanna throw in the mani's And have Topspeed do the dyno pulls
Old Dec 7, 2007, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I agree with you Eric. I unfortunately have NO desire to do a test as extensive as this. There are a few intakes I'd test but surely not this many, this test is going to be extremely difficult to pull off for Paul and Lucas, there are just too many intakes which are going to spread the testing out over days maybe weeks and be tough to get perfect back to back results.

I am also in agreement that doing the testing on Paul's car will be good for guys with Paul's combination and not so much the majority. This IS PAUL'S test though and I am in no way bashing it.

Paul, I've done a bunch of testing and posted results here, it's impossible to make everyone happy doing it. You will get your ***** busted for it no matter what you do, so just do your thing. If you use a stock turbo people will cry, if you use a 35r they will cry etc.

In the case of the intake manifold though, because of the power delivery of a GT42R I think the testing is pretty useless (see you can't make me happy either!). The intake manifolds just aren't going to show low end/ mid range changes on a GT42r. There are intakes already in your test that suck in the low/mid range as I have tested it. (NO NO NO, I will not say which one, don't even ask) For YOU, Paul, you don't care about that low/mid range much but for the other 99% the testing is not going to be very useful, in my opinion.

BTW, Eric@AMS, send an intake, I'll throw it on my car and test it
Old Dec 7, 2007, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

BTW, Eric@AMS, send an intake, I'll throw it on my car and test it
Woah!

Ported stocker versus the king of aftermarket Evo manifolds.

On what has to be the most maxed out GT35R car ever setup?
Old Dec 7, 2007, 09:52 AM
Evolving Member

Dave have you ever mapped/tested a engine on the engine dyno?.

Mark
Old Dec 7, 2007, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Man I'd love to see what the AMS VSR would do on your car Dave! I am hoping to hit the 700HP marker on my personal car here very shortly. If I wasn't down the car so long and hopefully getting it running next weekend I would be tempted to provide mine.

Eric, hook him up It would do us all some serious benefit on what appears to be the perfect combination!

Quick Reply: Pushing some new intake manifolds to the limit!