Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Pushing some new intake manifolds to the limit!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2007, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by scorke
Fail.

As long as all else remains equal makes no difference. The car is raced with the drivetrain attached, not attached to an engine dyno.

Scorke
I agree with a lot of your posts, but this one is wrong. Testing on a bench is a far better way of gauging the difference between parts vs. on the car. It removes all the variables that can arise from doing it on a car.

EDIT: I realize you're were speaking in general terms, so don't take it personally. I realize a engine dyno is big $$$, but I just took what you said too literally!

Last edited by 4G63; Dec 7, 2007 at 11:43 AM.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 12:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good info
Old Dec 7, 2007, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AutoMotoSports
Things that really need to taken into account during this test are the manifolds being tested. Paul's car is obviously not the norm and what is going to work for his car is not going to work for 95% of the public. Camshaft selection, displacement, Turbo charger and slew of other variables are going to effect spool on any given car.

KCevo has been nice enough to send him a couple variations of our manifold for testing. I just want to make sure the users on the site understand that the manifold that makes the most power in this particular test is most likely not the variation you would want to put on your car unless you are building a car of Paul's caliber.

We thank paul for the test and look forward to the results but a much better candidate would be a car in the 450-600 whp range. food for thought.

Eric
Eric im going to separate the street versions vs the race versions as claimed by the manufacturers Any way ya put it should be fun and nice to see the dyno sheets. I could do the test with a 50 trim if that would make everyone happy? My car is setup very easy to swap manifolds and turbos. Got lots of room!

Last edited by Paul Nelson; Dec 7, 2007 at 12:20 PM.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

eh, no Im not happy GT30/35, either one of them maybe?
Old Dec 7, 2007, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

I feel like most of these manifolds will be minor in difference when it comes down to the bottom line in power. But i could be proven wrong
Old Dec 7, 2007, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

[quote=sabastian458;5031988]eh, no Im not happy GT30/35, either one of them maybe?[/quo
Well you guys take a general vote on what turbo you think will be the most used. ETS has a bunch of them on the shelf
Old Dec 7, 2007, 12:32 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by AutoMotoSports
Things that really need to taken into account during this test are the manifolds being tested. Paul's car is obviously not the norm and what is going to work for his car is not going to work for 95% of the public.
I noted this to Paul in a recent telephone conversation.

What works best for Paul's car would likely have a larger plenum and shorter runners than what would work best for just about anyone else.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Could you explain the variants of the AMS VSR you got? I was unaware of there being anything other than single and dual fuel rail manifolds.

Far as turbo's to test, I'd love to see GT35R or GT37R (PT6776) as I have the GT37R

The GT35R would probably be the MOST perfered turbo, then a GT30r I would think.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ted B
I noted this to Paul in a recent telephone conversation.

What works best for Paul's car would likely have a larger plenum and shorter runners than what would work best for just about anyone else.
Ok just got off the phone with ETS JR and we are going put on a ETS 35r kit with stainless steel flanges
The motor will be fresh with new Arias pistons stock bore. After we do the test with the the 35r we are going with the 45R
Old Dec 7, 2007, 12:44 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
awesome!
Old Dec 7, 2007, 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

I think you should be doing this on the turbo set up that you are going to run next season. Yes you want to make everyone happy, but no matter what you go with not everyone will be pleased, bottom line. You might as well just use your setup and see what will be most helpful on your car. The best manifold on a 35r might not be the best choice on a 42r, or even a different 35r setup
Old Dec 7, 2007, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 06rs_power
I think you should be doing this on the turbo set up that you are going to run next season. Yes you want to make everyone happy, but no matter what you go with not everyone will be pleased, bottom line. You might as well just use your setup and see what will be most helpful on your car. The best manifold on a 35r might not be the best choice on a 42r, or even a different 35r setup
Its not a big deal for me To do both. Ive got full use of the dyno and its a excuse to get away from remodeling my house!
Old Dec 7, 2007, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4G63
I agree with a lot of your posts, but this one is wrong. Testing on a bench is a far better way of gauging the difference between parts vs. on the car. It removes all the variables that can arise from doing it on a car.

EDIT: I realize you're were speaking in general terms, so don't take it personally. I realize a engine dyno is big $$$, but I just took what you said too literally!

Although an engine dyno is more "perfect" the differences between the manifolds will be seen when bolted to a chassis or engine dyno.

Testing on a engine dyno is only better in the sense that the engine is more accessible, nothing else.

Scorke
Old Dec 7, 2007, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
I agree with you Eric. I unfortunately have NO desire to do a test as extensive as this. There are a few intakes I'd test but surely not this many, this test is going to be extremely difficult to pull off for Paul and Lucas, there are just too many intakes which are going to spread the testing out over days maybe weeks and be tough to get perfect back to back results.

I am also in agreement that doing the testing on Paul's car will be good for guys with Paul's combination and not so much the majority. This IS PAUL'S test though and I am in no way bashing it.

Paul, I've done a bunch of testing and posted results here, it's impossible to make everyone happy doing it. You will get your ***** busted for it no matter what you do, so just do your thing. If you use a stock turbo people will cry, if you use a 35r they will cry etc.

In the case of the intake manifold though, because of the power delivery of a GT42R I think the testing is pretty useless (see you can't make me happy either!). The intake manifolds just aren't going to show low end/ mid range changes on a GT42r. There are intakes already in your test that suck in the low/mid range as I have tested it. (NO NO NO, I will not say which one, don't even ask) For YOU, Paul, you don't care about that low/mid range much but for the other 99% the testing is not going to be very useful, in my opinion.

BTW, Eric@AMS, send an intake, I'll throw it on my car and test it
the time spread is one of the big reasons the engine dyno would be easier. at least you don't have to put everything back in the car etc.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by trinydex
the time spread is one of the big reasons the engine dyno would be easier. at least you don't have to put everything back in the car etc.
yeah i hear ya on this. It wont be that bad. My motor is really simple to tear into. There is no abs,allot of the wiring is gone. but im going to say 2 hrs per manifold

Quick Reply: Pushing some new intake manifolds to the limit!