Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Pushing some new intake manifolds to the limit!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2007, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
hopefully you got it down to a science cuz every time i work on a car... something always gets snagged, something goes wrong... something doesn't fit quite right etc. hahahaha labor of the enthusiast
Old Dec 7, 2007, 03:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All I have to say is, this is a fantastic contribution to the community. I think I speak for everyone, all bs and nagging aside, that we all really truly appreciate the amount of support and hard work that everybody is putting into this test. Regardless if the numbers work on a specific setup, we can finally put aside the intake mani bench racing and have some real data to quarrel about!
Old Dec 7, 2007, 03:59 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by broddey
All I have to say is, this is a fantastic contribution to the community. I think I speak for everyone, all bs and nagging aside, that we all really truly appreciate the amount of support and hard work that everybody is putting into this test. Regardless if the numbers work on a specific setup, we can finally put aside the intake mani bench racing and have some real data to quarrel about!
Old Dec 7, 2007, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

I'm real curious to see which one gives ya the most power. do you think the Intake manifold needs differ witht he size of the turbo though???
Old Dec 7, 2007, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Mark S., there is an engine dyno that runs constantly directly across the street from our shop. I have never had a 4 cylinder on it. I have had quite a few small blocks on it and then installed in the cars and put on our dyno. I can tell you that I prefer the chassis dyno. So the answer is no I have not mapped a 4 cylinder on the engine dyno but yes, I do have engine dyno experience. The engine dyno is literally within 150 feet of our front door.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 12:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by broddey
Thank You Sir!
Old Dec 8, 2007, 01:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Mark S., there is an engine dyno that runs constantly directly across the street from our shop. I have never had a 4 cylinder on it. I have had quite a few small blocks on it and then installed in the cars and put on our dyno. I can tell you that I prefer the chassis dyno. So the answer is no I have not mapped a 4 cylinder on the engine dyno but yes, I do have engine dyno experience. The engine dyno is literally within 150 feet of our front door.
Cool I bet the small block rocks for noise
I done a couple of supercharged Mercury 8lt motors that was fun and a 1600hp Ford drag motor .

Mark
Old Dec 8, 2007, 06:01 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by NewCalEvo
Found some old pictures, the manifold is currently @ home , bubble wrapped , waiting for the engine to get back in the car...
If it isn't too much trouble, it would be nice if you could take that manifold, lay it down flat so we can see the runners with respect to the plenum, and perhaps take a photo looking into the inside (through the TB flange).
Old Dec 8, 2007, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So will AMS let Buschur put the VSR against the Bushur ported stocker?

I have to assume that their lack of reply means they aren't willing to do it.

Mark S, am curious what you think the benefits of mapping on the engine dyno are?
Old Dec 8, 2007, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by crcain
So will AMS let Buschur put the VSR against the Bushur ported stocker?

I have to assume that their lack of reply means they aren't willing to do it.

Mark S, am curious what you think the benefits of mapping on the engine dyno are?
what intake manifold does b/r use on his drag car???
Old Dec 8, 2007, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by evodan2004
what intake manifold does b/r use on his drag car???
From the pics I've seen it looks like HKS Kansai Surge tank. (they call their inlet mani a power surge tank or some **** like that)
Old Dec 8, 2007, 07:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by scorke

Although an engine dyno is more "perfect" the differences between the manifolds will be seen when bolted to a chassis or engine dyno.

Testing on a engine dyno is only better in the sense that the engine is more accessible, nothing else.

Scorke
You're wrong. Chassis dynos are more readily available and a great tool for tuning cars off the road in a fairly safe environment. But when doing such tests to determine which part will make the most power using the same variables, the only true way to do this is on a engine dyno, period.

If a engine dyno is not available, then I would test the parts at the track. Keeping everything constant with exception of possibly needing to add/subtract fuel and see which yields the highest MPH.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 02:35 PM

you guys bashing engines dyno don't have a clue..

Engine Development is done on an engine dyno period.
I would say testing all these different intakes would classify to me as engine development no?

Sure doing it on a chassis dyno is definitely better then not doing it at all but for some of you to say that using an engine dyno is not better is insane.

I wonder why every pro stock team uses one to develop their engines.
Or nascar? Or any form of motorsport?

Nascar do use chassis dyno's as well but their testing alot of different drivetrain components searching for way's to free up as much power as possible.

David B. i understand what your saying in that you've used an engine dyno on a small block and then retuned it on your dyno and rather use your dyno to tune.

what probably happened here was that certain things have changed from the moment that engine left the engine dyno to the car whether it be different fuel pump, lines, etc, etc. what the engine dyno allowed you to do was find out where the engine wanted to be and now that it's in the car you might have to make some changes to get it back there.

Same goes for the track. A car is never done once it leaves either engine dyno or chassis dyno. You will need to fine tune it at the track for the best possible performance. What the dyno's did was hopefully help you find the where the engine likes to be...

This always
Old Dec 8, 2007, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
enzoferrari,

If only your opinion of me not having a clue made one freaking bit of difference to me.

You said yourself, took the time to tune it on the engine dyno, then put it in the car and obviously something changed.........................uh DUH! Therefore tuning the engine in the car is why I prefer to use a good chassis dyno.

Thanks for justifying what my point was in the first place.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 03:08 PM

Opinions don't mean anything to me either so don't worry..

Point is you will need to fine tune it either way whether it came off an engine dyno or chassis dyno.

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
enzoferrari,

If only your opinion of me not having a clue made one freaking bit of difference to me.

You said yourself, took the time to tune it on the engine dyno, then put it in the car and obviously something changed.........................uh DUH! Therefore tuning the engine in the car is why I prefer to use a good chassis dyno.

Thanks for justifying what my point was in the first place.

Quick Reply: Pushing some new intake manifolds to the limit!