Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Pushing some new intake manifolds to the limit!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2008, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so have you got all the intakes yet? any chance of a line up mug shot of them all?

have a read of this thread i just found, some intresting info for sure http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/69...l-plenium.html
Old Feb 5, 2008, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

Awesome, glad you got the manifold ok. Now get that testing done so I can get my car back together!
Old Feb 5, 2008, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cssaddictm4
Awesome, glad you got the manifold ok. Now get that testing done so I can get my car back together!
Bah your a V8 guy
Old Feb 6, 2008, 05:07 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by ifarted2
Received the C&C Intake Manifold i like it very much especially the way the runners taper down to the head.
However, the runners are flush with the floor and have no bell mouth orifice. This creates a 90 degree angle, and that will hamper flow into the runner.

FYI
Old Feb 6, 2008, 06:09 AM
Evolving Member

Ted I completely understand the purpose of the bellmouth idea and how it works but there has been much testing done by many of the prostock and promod guys in the NHRA world with extreme high psi and cfm engines and there has been no proven gain for the bellmouth with air flow and volumes that Paul will need to be pushing to get to his goal on his car. The radius in the plenum was originaly designed for NA cars, and helps in low velocity apps but at 45+ psi out of a 45R that Paul will be running the larger plenum will make more of a difference then the radius would. By the way I don't think Blake has ever owned a V8
Old Feb 6, 2008, 09:19 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by CandCPerformanc
...The radius in the plenum was originaly designed for NA cars, and helps in low velocity apps but at 45+ psi out of a 45R that Paul will be running ...
Air density (e.g. 45 psi), volume, and velocity are three different concepts. F1 is anything but a 'low velocity app', and that has nothing to do with the fact that those engines run at ambient pressure.

A sharp 90 degree bend, be it in household plumbing, a head port, or otherwise constitutes an obstruction. The faster the flow of media through the system, the greater the obstruction, not the other way around.

Obviously, the laws of physics haven't changed, so if someone is telling me that radiused, raised runner entries don't matter, that seems to indicate that somewhere along the line, something isn't apples to apples, and one can only speculate given than insufficient information has been presented.

Just a stark observation . . .
Old Feb 6, 2008, 11:04 AM
Evolving Member

Ted I am not argueing the fact that the radius helps in any way I was just stating what I have learned from some of the big inch high horsepower companies that are at all the races that we attend from all over the country. Alot of the companies like BES, Self racing, and Conly that make sheetmetal intakes for the high rpm prostock cars have seen minimal advantages of the radius when under high preasures at high rpm from big turbos or blowers. They have found larger plenum and tapered ports have a larger gain then the radius. AMS's new intake with all three aspects should and probably will work very well.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

rectangular bell mouths flow less than circular on paper, but will this show in the testing? doubt it.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Ted I am not argueing the fact that the radius helps in any way I was just stating what I have learned from some of the big inch high horsepower companies that are at all the races that we attend from all over the country. Alot of the companies like BES, Self racing, and Conly that make sheetmetal intakes for the high rpm prostock cars have seen minimal advantages of the radius when under high preasures at high rpm from big turbos or blowers. They have found larger plenum and tapered ports have a larger gain then the radius. AMS's new intake with all three aspects should and probably will work very well.
Your manifold will be the only one i have were the velocity stacks are not there or flush with the bottom of the intake. I know ETS builds a supra manifold with the same design and has great success with it. I very much look forward to the test to see how it stacks up against the others
Old Feb 15, 2008, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

I know that there has been allot of bad press with Marcos Manifold but ive had great luck with it. From my 712whp to my 1014 whp. Here are some pics with the Newer version with the velocity stacks.

Im excited to test the new version
Old Feb 15, 2008, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Paul did you ever just change from something to the Magnus to get an idea of how it may have helped you?

I run the Magnus Race as pictured above on the left. I'm very interested to see how it does but I've ordered a HKS Kansai from Dave just in case

I figure if the Magnus Race does well in your test I'll just sell on the HKS later. But given the lack of performance of the old Magnus piece I think a lot of skepticism is warranted.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by crcain
Paul did you ever just change from something to the Magnus to get an idea of how it may have helped you?

I run the Magnus Race as pictured above on the left. I'm very interested to see how it does but I've ordered a HKS Kansai from Dave just in case

I figure if the Magnus Race does well in your test I'll just sell on the HKS later. But given the lack of performance of the old Magnus piece I think a lot of skepticism is warranted.
Yeah its just that the old Magnus is not the one he has sold in years. Like most shops they improve on there product. I have a really good feeling that it will do fine
Old Feb 15, 2008, 01:12 PM

How long untill the testing starts?
Also will you have a 3.5" outlet out of the intercooler and 3.5" piping to see if it makes any more power with the models that accept larger TB's? that way your still going to have afair test all using the same diameter piping, so lag won't be an issue, if you were to go up in size.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 06:40 AM
Evolving Member

Paul you have that horsepower pig ready for the dyno yet?
Old Feb 19, 2008, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

Paul you have that horsepower pig ready for the dyno yet?
Lucas has the car right now He said hes got about a week and a half before she is running

Quick Reply: Pushing some new intake manifolds to the limit!