Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Pushing some new intake manifolds to the limit!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2008, 04:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Tell the Sponsors that i will have a Uncontrolled urge to spend cash wildly once the tests are done!

cant wait for results
Old Apr 7, 2008, 07:25 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh man, I really like the driven innovations model!
Old Apr 7, 2008, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Which two were tested and what were the results? If the results get posted as they are obtained, no one can say that the results were skewed after they were all tested. Posting them as you go gives everyone an opportunity to evaluate them as you go. Thanks.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 01:03 PM
Evolving Member

I want to know how the JMF manifold turned out since it "wasn't good enough" for DB to test it.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 05:34 PM

I didnt read all 400 pages of this thread but how are the test results going to be accurate? Different temps, humidity, tune, etc all have a factor. Not to discourage the testing or anything but wouldnt it make more sense to flow bench the manifols instead to see how well they flow? I am assuming different manifolds require different fuel maps so really your testing the manifold against the tune for it. You may get better results with manifold A but maybe another guy will get better results on manifold B. Just a thought.

and another thought, just because a manifold flows more than the other, doesnt mean it will actually make more power.

I dont know what I am talking about. Disregard
Old Apr 10, 2008, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by krkline2gdsm
I didnt read all 400 pages of this thread but how are the test results going to be accurate? Different temps, humidity, tune, etc all have a factor. Not to discourage the testing or anything but wouldnt it make more sense to flow bench the manifols instead to see how well they flow? I am assuming different manifolds require different fuel maps so really your testing the manifold against the tune for it. You may get better results with manifold A but maybe another guy will get better results on manifold B. Just a thought.

and another thought, just because a manifold flows more than the other, doesnt mean it will actually make more power.

I dont know what I am talking about. Disregard
You will know real quick by the tune if the manifold is flowing better then the last by the AFR. I believe Paul is testing all the manifolds on a 35R and possibly another turbo which will cover most of the general public. Problem with the flowbench is you dont get the engine pulse effects in the intake manifold and just not real world testing.

Personally i would rather have it the way Paul is doing the test. Its going to take allot more time and effort but you will get real world results.

Chris
Old Apr 12, 2008, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by 2k4EvoVIII
You will know real quick by the tune if the manifold is flowing better then the last by the AFR. I believe Paul is testing all the manifolds on a 35R and possibly another turbo which will cover most of the general public. Problem with the flowbench is you dont get the engine pulse effects in the intake manifold and just not real world testing.

Personally i would rather have it the way Paul is doing the test. Its going to take allot more time and effort but you will get real world results.

Chris

Maybe you didnt understand my point. Say if manifold A flows XXXcfm and manifold B flows 60 more cfm then the other. That would require a different tune and once you change that tune, who knows after that. Lets say he made more power on manifold B but then I did then I got in the car and made manifold A make more power based on my tune. The testing of all the manifolds is cool and all but I dont think test resutls would be dead nuts accurate to say whos manifold is better than whos. I dunno...
Old Apr 12, 2008, 08:34 PM
Evolving Member

Just because X Manifold flows more than Y Manifold on a Bench doesn't mean it will make more power on the Car.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 12:48 PM
Evolving Member

looking at the changes that the wide band show will be the best way to show increases of an intake mani if the tune and boost stay the same....

IIRC, i think this is exactly what BR did... swap manifolds,,, kept the boost the same and look to see if the engine went rich or lean... his testing is in the current issue of drag sport..
Old Apr 14, 2008, 04:43 PM
Evolving Member

That looks awesome.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 07:21 AM

still w8ing on the results I was just about to buy one when I saw this thread so I'm posed till i find out what's happening.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Just going rich or lean doesn't mean the manifold is better/worse. For example, improved charge tumble can promote better combustion efficiency without changing A/F ratio or mass air flow rate.

Flow bench results mean very little. If that wasn't the case, a very short runner manifold with good runner inlets would beat everything out there on the dyno/track. But that's definitely not the case as longer runner manifold have been proven on a lot of different platforms to work very well. They general match peak HP numbers of short runner manifolds, but offer huge midrange gains.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by krkline2gdsm
I kind of already corrected myself but ok... haha thanks?
Old May 2, 2008, 12:28 AM
Evolved Member

Any updates?
Old Aug 4, 2008, 10:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Updates?

Quick Reply: Pushing some new intake manifolds to the limit!