Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Review: MR Bilsteins w/ Swift Spec-R's

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2007, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Review: MR Bilsteins w/ Swift Spec-R's

Alright Guys,
So it seems that there is no review upon the *New* Spec-R springs that are out. I currently own a WW EVO VIII (w/ Sun and Sound Package), so its been sitting on the stock shocks and springs. I was able to pick up some EVO IX MR Bilsteins for a pretty decent price. As I knew the car could handle better with the Bilsteins, I decided to step up one more knotch and purchase the Swift Spec-R springs for the MR Bilsteins, for the looks and the better spring rates (They have 2 different sets, MR and Non-MR).

So far, Now that they have settled, the dampening is surely softer than the original struts(Not as tight on the rebound). Yet the dampening along with the springs don't allow it to give way. I took a nice spritied drive and the car just rolled(Not meaning 'Body Roll') with the corners, it was stiff yet very fluid. I think this setup is a cheaper and effective way to a better handling EVO:

Bilsteins w/ 9k miles - $500
Swift Spec-R's (Ordered from Speed Element) - $276shipped.

I will give a better review when these have been further driven on.

On with the pictures:

Fronts Installed!

Rears Uninstalled.

Rears Installed!

Hover Evo..

Mine and my sons car(Scuse his dirtiness).

Rear wheel gap.

Front wheel gap.

Complete

Whole Photoshoot soon to come. Sorry for bad pics.

Enjoy.

p.s. If needed, PM me with any questions.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Nice job, I just installed my Spec-R's too, without the Bilsteins though. So far I have to agree with the, stiff but fluid part. I like them a lot, for sure.. The car feels less sloppy, not that it ever was really. I'll add to this and say that, if the struts blow out, I'll add more later. So far, so good.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 12:30 AM

Great review, EWWEvo.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 08:25 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
How's the ride quality?

- Andrew
Old Dec 31, 2007, 08:36 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like the drop I got out of your springs Andrew... or less than the Swifts are advertised for
Old Dec 31, 2007, 08:42 AM
Former Sponsor

^ yeah, that's definitely not a 35mm drop up front there. Maybe they'll settle more. I'm just concerned about the ride quality with these since the rates are far and away the stiffest I've seen.

- Andrew
Old Dec 31, 2007, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

The ride quality seems as though it might be harsh, I was thinking, on the way to work this morning, that the roads all of a sudden got a little more bumpy. I havnt had a chance to fling it around yet though. ... maybe tonight, as it should only get down to 65°. I can only make a comparisons between the Ohlins Flags on an Evo and an NSX set up with Tein coilovers, whichever the race coilovers are for Tein. Softer that the NSX and seemingly bumpier than the Flags. I think good tires are in order on the street. ...hope that helps
Old Dec 31, 2007, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Zeus
Looks like the drop I got out of your springs Andrew... or less than the Swifts are advertised for
The OPs springs need to settle more for sure. A nice sprint, couple of threshold brakings, and a few S turns will get him there. I haven't had my alignment yet, but turn in feels a lot better also, less roll, and take off weight transfer is seemingly less too.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

The ride quality seems as though it might be harsh, I was thinking, on the way to work this morning, that the roads all of a sudden got a little more bumpy. I havnt had a chance to fling it around yet though. ... maybe tonight, as it should only get down to 65°. I can only make a comparisons between the Ohlins Flags on an Evo and an NSX set up with Tein coilovers, whichever the race coilovers are for Tein. Softer that the NSX and seemingly bumpier than the Flags. I think good tires are in order on the street. ...hope that helps
Old Jan 6, 2008, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
^ yeah, that's definitely not a 35mm drop up front there. Maybe they'll settle more. I'm just concerned about the ride quality with these since the rates are far and away the stiffest I've seen.

- Andrew
Sorry about the delay in the reply, but the ride doesn't seem as stiff as expected. I htough it might even out only because the Bilsteins being a bit looser on the dampening side.

It loves to hug the corners. hehe.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I am worried about the Shock life. I had TIEN H-Techs on my 2003 Evo and they not only rode like poop but my shocks, three of them, failed in a VERY short period of time.

I have an IX MR, and am concerned about the handling and ride characteristics not to mention longevity. I like a SET and FORGET product.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 08:25 AM
Evolving Member

What are their rates? NVM

Stock rates are F 180 R 225 linear

The MR specific Swifts are F 179-269 & R 157-314 both progressive. They aren't competition springs.

How much actual difference of length compared to the stock springs?

Did you try the stock spring first, then these swifts? I'd like to know the difference between the two on say an autocross course. My MR has a tendency to understeer unless I load the back tires with roughly 52lbs of air, hot.

Last edited by Mr Chef; Jan 21, 2008 at 08:37 AM.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 09:41 AM
Former Sponsor

^ Those are the rates of standard Swifts....the Spec R's are much stiffer.

- Andrew
Old Jan 21, 2008, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Would those springs be a good replacement for the stock MR springs? (already have the blisteins on the MR)
Old Jan 22, 2008, 05:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
^ Those are the rates of standard Swifts....the Spec R's are much stiffer.

- Andrew
Looks like you sell their stuff?

so why bother posting that and not supplying the actual springs rates?

care to share them or are they super top secret?

Quick Reply: Review: MR Bilsteins w/ Swift Spec-R's