Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

AMSOIL Gearlube Review

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2008, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMSOIL Gearlube Review

The products in question today are the GL-4 & GL-5 gear lubes from AMSOIL, one of the leading manufacturers in the synthetics oil industry here in the United States.

I was approaching 30k (fluids were changed at 29k actually, cause I'm such a preventative maintenance *****) miles on my 2006 Mitsubishi lancer Evolution and was aware of the maintenance it needed for upkeep. The trans/transfer case/rear diff fluids were due for a change. I searched countless internet evolution sites looking for the best oils to use on the car. Some suggested synthetic lubes, some suggested conventional oil, but there really wasn't any rule of thumb or predominantly accepted fluids to use, just more of a preference or opinions based on what others used, and their pleasant or horrific stories of their outcomes. After reading all these reviews, I really didn't read anything bad upon amsoil gearlubes; they weren't really a majority in the users' preference, but upon use, nobody complained. So, I decided to give it a try.

An order was placed for 3 quarts of Amsoil API GL-4 75W-90 (weight specs as recommended per Mitsubishi) Manual transmission fluid and 2 quarts of AMSOIL 75W-90 Severe gear API GL-5 for the transfer case & rear end, both synthetic of course.

Being synthetic, the oils poured in almost like water, which made the job alot easier compared to conventional gear lubes being almost as thick as fudge; they were so thin that I almost became skeptical if this could actually be good for the car, but the oils being thinner would mean they provide less resistance for the gears to rotate (anyones who's been to an autoparts store and played around with those Lucas Oil oil stabilizer demo gear contraptions will get the idea.)

Upon startup, just putting the car in reverse to get it out of the garage was alot smoother in comparison to what was in there before (most likely the Mitsu Diaqueen fluid). On the first ride down the block, the gear changes seemed somewhat smoother as well. There are no extra noises and no ruined parts so far, as its been 800 miles. Id gives these lubes from AMSOIL a big thumbs up for anyone wanting to use them in their car's manual transmission/transfer case/rear differential. In fact, the same combo was performed on a buddies 2G eclipse, with similar results.

PS: For those of you that don't believe that evo owners work on their own cars anymore:

Damian.

Last edited by itsme4g63; Mar 3, 2008 at 05:32 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

can anyone else chime in and let us know what they think about these fluids?? i always here different things in different threads about what oils to use in the transmission/ transfer case / rear dif .
Old Jan 13, 2008, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I might just try the AMsoil. The redline I put in was like sludge...car felt ok, but nothing phenomenal. I don't think I would mess with them for my transfercase fluid....it's already whining so it probably wouldn't matter.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Whyd you only jack up one side? The car needs to be level
Old Jan 13, 2008, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by keevo54
Whyd you only jack up one side? The car needs to be level
level shmevel. It was level at one point (both jacks up front) but I needed to get to the rear end, so I moved one jack to the passengers rear. I got enough fluid in there, trust me.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

dont u think this review is abit premature? LOL u barely drove it
Old Jan 13, 2008, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mifesto
dont u think this review is abit premature? LOL u barely drove it
how much do you figure I need on the clock for it to be a just review? Will post 2k mile update for the paranoid ones when it happens.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

I have AMS oil myself and IMHO I love it... It shifts good, feels great, no problems here. As a matter of fact as soon as I get my headlights/taillights from EVOdave I'm going to change my fluids with AMSoil again since it's due!...
Old Jan 13, 2008, 11:16 AM
Evolving Member

im about due, and im thinking about going this route as well.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

I will be putting in amsoil fluid in the trans, transfer case and diff. and I will post a review once that happens
Old Jan 13, 2008, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by itsme4g63
how much do you figure I need on the clock for it to be a just review? Will post 2k mile update for the paranoid ones when it happens.
well im not here to lecture you on when is the best time to give a review. my point is your review (for now) is very shallow. driven 800 miles and you like the oil because it pours well? hehe. nothing personal, hey let us know how it goes in another couple thousand miles amsoil products are great though.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mifesto
well im not here to lecture you on when is the best time to give a review. my point is your review (for now) is very shallow. driven 800 miles and you like the oil because it pours well? hehe. nothing personal, hey let us know how it goes in another couple thousand miles amsoil products are great though.
Didn't know that it seemed like that. I come from dsms and we really never used synthetic in them, thus my amusement. But I did state the easier shifting right off bat. I will update with more miles.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I can chime in at least for the trans fluid. I have been running the same Amsoil trans fluid now for 20k with 0 issues. Track days, AXs, street, summer, fall, winter...nothing. For the TC and diff I still run the OE.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 07:47 AM
Evolving Member

i wrote a review a couple months ago when no one was really looking into amsoil. im glad to see more people are using it. i use it in every driveline part as well as the motor...great stuff!
Old Jan 14, 2008, 03:06 PM

There is a comprehensive study of many different gear lubes available on my blog

Quick Reply: AMSOIL Gearlube Review